Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just got this game and looking forward to playing. After combing rules, FAQs, and summaries, I have some questions...

1) I love the player aid by UniversalHead. Though at one point it says, "Replenish adventure counters on empty spaces marked with a sunburst of the corresponding colour to the sunburst icon on the Event card."

This doesn't make sense to me because the sunburst icon on the Event card has no color. Or does it mean the color of the Event card? Even if so, that's not how I understand the rules, which I take to mean that you replenish all empty sunburst jewels on the map, so long as matching color counters are available. Or am I misunderstanding the rule book?

2) The Offical FAQ says how to resolve the attack order of different colored counters and/or undefeated challenge counters on the same space. I understand the idea, but I don't see how it can occur. If only green counters are put on green jewels, etc., then how can there ever be different colored counters and/or undefeated challenges on the same space?

3) If you've increased your life by 1, can you fight an undefeated green challenge? The rules say you can no longer "draw the easiest Challenge cards", so I'm assuming you may fight it since it was already there and you didn't actually draw it. Am I right?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Just got this game and looking forward to playing. After combing rules, FAQs, and summaries, I have some questions...

1) I love the player aid by UniversalHead. Though at one point it says, "Replenish adventure counters on empty spaces marked with a sunburst of the corresponding colour to the sunburst icon on the Event card."

Playing (as we do) without any expansions, I think this must be a misprint as no Event Cards have coloured icons. We interpret the rule as you do - replenish ALL starburst encounters, jewels numbers permitting.

JYoder wrote:

2) The Offical FAQ says how to resolve the attack order of different colored counters and/or undefeated challenge counters on the same space. I understand the idea, but I don't see how it can occur. If only green counters are put on green jewels, etc., then how can there ever be different colored counters and/or undefeated challenges on the same space?

Again, without expansions, I cannot see how this would happen. I can only assume that this applies to a situation with one or more expansions in use. Other folks will undoubtedly advise.

JYoder wrote:

3) If you've increased your life by 1, can you fight an undefeated green challenge? The rules say you can no longer "draw the easiest Challenge cards", so I'm assuming you may fight it since it was already there and you didn't actually draw it. Am I right?

Yup - you are certainly in line with *my* interpretation! One +1 life - no green encounters, two +1s - no yellows etc. Obviously this means you cannot take more than 3 +1s otherwise you'd be barred from encountering *anything* which kinda defeats the object!

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

This doesn't make sense to me because the sunburst icon on the Event card has no color.

Short answer: As much as I like UH's work, he went crazy on that one. Just replenish all the sunbursts.

JYoder wrote:

It can only occur through the inclusion of some expansions. Off the top of my head, the character decks might add "grey" undefeated challenges over a space which has a counter, for instance.

JYoder wrote:

I would say so. In fact, if you're using a variant with random encounters, I would also say that you still have to fight a green challenge if that's what the dice/cards gave you. Purists could debate that latter point, since you're actually drawing the card, but hey, it's a variant anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the help!

I was gonna play it by myself first, but time didn't allow for it, so I'll be winging it tonight. But it's with only one guy and he's fairly patient, so fingers crossed.

Speaking of the random counter variant, maybe that's how you can end up with different colored adventures/challenges on the same spot? Suppose you have a yellow encounter on an empty green jewel and leave it undefeated. Then when an event comes up, I guess you'd place a green counter beneath the undefeated challenge? Maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
Speaking of the random counter variant, maybe that's how you can end up with different colored adventures/challenges on the same spot? Suppose you have a yellow encounter on an empty green jewel and leave it undefeated. Then when an event comes up, I guess you'd place a green counter beneath the undefeated challenge? Maybe?

Except that random encounters do not remain as undefeated, as per the rulebook - they just go back in the pile.

But you'll see that Runebound is a game that people love tinkering with. Perhaps you'll decide to make your own variant where random encounters remain on the board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The game went smoothly last night. We played the shorter variant (xp counters cost 4) and it took 4-5 hours. Good for our first play, next game will be shorter. But a few questions came up...

5) Does dying allow a market card to be drawn since you are "entering" a town? (Even if it's on a stretcher.)

6) Even with 4-5 movement dice, a couple times we couldn't move at all. That was annoying. As I understand the rules, you can only move 1 space if you haven't rolled. So I'm wondering if we were doing that right. Seems like a good house rule would be you can move at least 1 space, no matter your roll.

7) My opponent's ranged stat started at 5/2. Mine was 1/1 with melee at 4/2. With his primary attack first, he progressed easier than me. At times I'd take a hit from defending at ranged, and over a few battles, after having 2 or 3 wounds, I'd have to go to a town to heal while he kept going. Over time, with him always getting in the first hit (often resulting in him killing challenges outright without taking a scratch) he was able to level up quite a bit faster than me and won the game with a far buffer char.

Is having range as your primary attack a huge advantage? (I can only imagine what it must be to rely on magic.) I understand there are things to offset this over time, but by then it was too late for me. It seems like randomizing the attack phase would greatly help to balance this. Or am I missing something?

8) Out of curiosity, I wonder what it'd be like to try the following house rule for 2-3 players: Your first xp counter costs 1, then next time 2, etc., incrementing by 1 for each new level. Seems it'd make a shorter early game and longer endgame, but a shorter game overall. I like the idea, but maybe in practice it wouldn't work too well. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
5) Does dying allow a market card to be drawn since you are "entering" a town? (Even if it's on a stretcher.)

Entering a town doesn't make you draw market cards. You draw one market at the beginning of your Market step (which, incidentally, can only occur if you ended your movement in a town).
And you seldom die during your Market step...

JYoder wrote:
6) Even with 4-5 movement dice, a couple times we couldn't move at all. That was annoying. As I understand the rules, you can only move 1 space if you haven't rolled. So I'm wondering if we were doing that right. Seems like a good house rule would be you can move at least 1 space, no matter your roll.

Well, that could work. But since Runebound is mostly around risk-management, I like the current setup. Do you choose to move by only 1 space, ensuring you'll be there in 2 turns, or do you take you chance with the dice, which could mean you'll be there in 1 turn... or 3, or 4...

JYoder wrote:
7) Is having range as your primary attack a huge advantage? (I can only imagine what it must be to rely on magic.) I understand there are things to offset this over time, but by then it was too late for me. It seems like randomizing the attack phase would greatly help to balance this. Or am I missing something?

This is a strategy question rather than a rule inquiry, so I'll just say this: I do not believe so.

JYoder wrote:
8) Out of curiosity, I wonder what it'd be like to try the following house rule for 2-3 players: Your first xp counter costs 1, then next time 2, etc., incrementing by 1 for each new level. Seems it'd make a shorter early game and longer endgame, but a shorter game overall. I like the idea, but maybe in practice it wouldn't work too well. Thoughts?

There are people out there who play it like that (and no matter the # of players, too), and who seem to enjoy it. Personally, I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

It can happen, but very, very rarely. Rivers, then roads/plains, then hills are the most frequent faces to see. I'd think about giving 1-2 "movement mulligans" that let you roll 'em all again if you're looking to avoid it as an issue.

Quote:
Is having range as your primary attack a huge advantage?

Early in the game, yes. Later in the game (as the challenges become more balanced in traits and gain higher life), it's not as large. But it's among the best to bump early since it you have to make it through ranged to get to your specialization.

Quote:

You'd probably want to cap things pretty quickly or you'll significantly slow the game as you're trying to build up to taking on the red challenges. It would probably speed things along early without much pain, though.

But if you didn't cap it somewhere, needing 8 exp to advance would probably result in a board devoid of gems and nothing for the characters to do late in the game. You'd also make the game very long, and it can already run a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5) No, your turn is over after being 'knocked out' (some call it knocked up laugh ) so there is no Market Step. One exception our group uses with the Island of Dread expansion is that Captains still take one exhaustion even after an escape. You never 'die' in Runebound

6) You have to decide on rolling the dice or moving one space before rolling the movement dice. It's a gamble decision. But remember that not using dice means no 'healing' of exhaustion counters.

7) Not my experience. No Base second edition Runebound character starts with a ranged stat of 5/2. Ronan of the Wild (the weakest character in the game IMHO) start with 3/2, Bogran the Shadow with 3/2, and Silhouette with 2/2. Ronan has a next to useless special ability and Bogran's isn't much better. The 'magic' characters all have powerful starting abilities: Mad Carthos and Runewitch Astarra have a before combat magic attack (awesome), Spiritspeaker Mok can heal wounds before moving, and Battlemage Jaes can do 3 damage. Since you had 1/1 range and 4/2 melee you must have been using Varikas the Dead and should have cleaned up on the 'ping'ers' (ie. range attackers) with your great before combat magic attack. Varikas can take on yellow challenges successfully faster than almost anyone.

Remember Runebound is a race game to be the first to defeat Margath not who has the 'buffer' character at the end. Think Talisman game and all the 'buff' losers still flailing around in the outer ring. Defeating Margath requires about five or six experience counters and the correct collection of allies and items, success requires both.

8) If you want a shorter game use a time limit (say 2 hours) or the Doom track variant(s). I'd not use a system for cheaper xp counters since that makes the Ally/Item cards less cost effective. XP counters don't increase damage, you have to have Items to do that. I've found a key winning strategy to Runebound is getting the correct Item/Allies to take on the Red challenges. Thus there is a race (hence dice movement) to get the item cards showing up in certain towns.

One thing you might find when using the Doom track or one of it's variations is it's possible to win (ie. kill Margrath) with less experienced characters than you might think. Six experience counters should be enough with the right Market cards. No guts = no glory. Specialize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ranged superiority - it is very useful early on because you can kill most Greens before they have a chance to hit back. However there are relatively few items that will boost Green damage, meaning a Ranged focused character is heavily dependent on getting good allies that can reliably deal damage themselves.

Contrast this with Magic - there are a lot of Magic attack items that boost Magic damage to insane levels. The Magic user has the challenge of staying alive until the Magic phase. Often the Magic user will hire cheap allies to use as meat shields to get through the Ranged and Melee steps.

Melee is a middle ground. Items that increase odds of hitting (but not as good as Ranged) and items that increase damage (but not as much as Magic).

Re: faster games - your variant should work fine, but you will have significantly less gold meaning you won't be able to get the items and allies that you will need to take on blue and red challenges, so though things will go faster, you will lose some of that speed while in a holding pattern to collect more gold.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In regards to movement dice, it makes sense what everyone says. I'll view it as risk management and go from there

Quote:
7) Not my experience. No Base second edition Runebound character starts with a ranged stat of 5/2.

I remembered wrong. It was Bogran the Shadow at 3/2.

Quote:
Since you had 1/1 range and 4/2 melee you must have been using Varikas the Dead and should have cleaned up on the 'ping'ers' (ie. range attackers) with your great before combat magic attack.

I used it, but as stamina lessened, I'd move slower than my opponent to regain them. I don't know... maybe it was the luck of the die, but my opponent pulled ahead early and stayed ahead.

Quote:
Melee is a middle ground. Items that increase odds of hitting (but not as good as Ranged) and items that increase damage (but not as much as Magic).

Good to know. I'm sure I'll start to see that as I play more. Thanks for the heads up.

9) Is it recommended to buff up everything? Or specialize in only 2? Neither of us increased our life. Given items and allies, it didn't seem necessary. Plus, when you can't reach a high level counter, at least you could fight a green one for a little something.

10) If I get expansions, are there recommendations? As I understand it, there are board expansions and card expansions? If so, in regards to the card exps, I assume you always know what you're getting and it's not collectible like MTG, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
9) Is it recommended to buff up everything?

Did you get to fighting red encounters? If so, the value of bumping all the stats is immediately apparent. Allies won't last long against them.

Quote:
Neither of us increased our life.

I'd say this is a mistake...

Quote:
...at least you could fight a green one for a little something.

...because this is just a waste of time when you're up there in levels.

Quote:
If I get expansions, are there recommendations?

The Scepter of Kyros and the Cult of the Rune a good ones - they change out the adventure cards and provide different victory conditions.

I don't like the Isle of Dread, but Sands of Al Kalim is interesting. The item and "regular" adventure replacements that don't provide a new set of victory conditions aren't as interesting.

If you want to improve player interaction, the Character Decks (Class Decks? I always get the name wrong) can be interesting. I don't find that they add to much, but they do add a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
JYoder wrote:
9) Is it recommended to buff up everything?

Did you get to fighting red encounters? If so, the value of bumping all the stats is immediately apparent. Allies won't last long against them.

Quote:
Neither of us increased our life.

I'd say this is a mistake...

Really? I rarely do either of these things. Allies won't last long, but they don't have to. If a battle goes more than two rounds then you're in trouble anyway.

Extra health helps you survive hits, but extra skill helps you not get hit in the first place.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Two more questions...

1) To play alone, I assume you'd use the Doom Track. But doing so would only reveal 8 cards before you'd fight the red cards. There's no way you could win. Or am I not reading it right?

2) A terminology question. There's a "Rune Seeker" guide that says she can take 1 exhaustion counter to "cancel 1 life inflicted on your Hero or an Ally". Does that mean if can be done any time? (Like at the start of a turn.) Or only when the injury is occuring at the moment?

I ask because other cards say you can simply "discard" injuries (like the "Potion of Healing") which would be at any times. But this guide kind of makes it sound like you can only do it at the time you're being injured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:
1) To play alone, I assume you'd use the Doom Track.

You might be assuming wrong. That is, a lot of people favor the Threat track over the Doom track, and consequently prefer something like Mr. Skeletor's variant:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122763

JYoder wrote:
2) A terminology question. There's a "Rune Seeker" guide that says she can take 1 exhaustion counter to "cancel 1 life inflicted on your Hero or an Ally". Does that mean if can be done any time? (Like at the start of a turn.) Or only when the injury is occuring at the moment?

The key word here is "cancel". As the FAQ will confirm, this indicates immediate cancellation at the time it occurs.

JYoder wrote:
But this guide kind of makes it sound like you can only do it at the time you're being injured.

It sure does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The Doom Track variant as presented in the rulebook needs 'house rules' to work. This is a big Runebound topic of discussion ever since the game came out. The threat track variant is okay but I've always found it a bit luck deterministic (as if Runebound needs more dice rolls) where a turn/time limit would do just as well. You're right, 8 cards is too little for win success in solo play. The Doom track works if you increase by ONE the number of cards to trigger a doom counter, allow an experience step before and after each end game red challenge card, and don't play discarded from 'held' challenge cards to the doom track.

2) The 'Rune Seeker' can't be used to heal wounds only cancel. Allies have useful abilities but the most important (at least in the end game) is as spear catchers and dragon fire decoys (think Star Trek red shirted security personnel). If you want a 'healing' ally you need the Acolyte of Flame (2 in the deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the input.

In mentally comparing the Doom Track to the Skeletor's Threat Track, it seems the latter would create more tension/immediacy as the endgame can draw nearer each turn. Whereas with the Doom Track, there's really no need to roll the movement dice. Because if the endgame only draws closer with each discarded adventure card, then I can take my time walking anywhere and removing all exhaustion counters. But with the Threat Track, I'm motivated to keep moving, thereby making the movement dice (and choices I make in regard to them) have weight. Is that correct?

BTW, this seems obvious, but I assume if a card says "randomly" lose an item, then it means I can't choose the item I lose, but I literally need to randomly select it, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
The item and "regular" adventure replacements that don't provide a new set of victory conditions aren't as interesting.

It depends on what you're after, I suppose. Me, I went for the exact opposite: I did not want different game conditions but rather the same with added variety, so I bought Shadows of Margath to have a few more encounters (so that we don't dig through the whole deck too fast) and another expansion for items (of which I don't remember the name but my choice was based on BGG's recommendations for an item pack that was useful and generic, i.e. not one with items directed at player vs player combat or such things).
I was never interested in character expansion packs either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.