Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend I play wargames with who recently graduated from seminary and is also an Air Force reserve chaplain. He hopes to go into the Air Force full time as soon as an opening comes up. Anyway, he is going to be ordained soon and I wanted to get him one or two wargames as a present. I was wondering what games have chaplains in them. I thought that would be fitting!

I understand that Lock N Load's Band of Heroes has chaplians. What others? How do chaplains function in these games (do they increase morale, or what)? I read about Patton awarding one chaplain a bronze star for a prayer for improved weather that helped the Allied forces quite a bit. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of priest in "Here I Stand" and he can even be the Pope himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one in the original L'nL Vietnam game who can buck up some units. There were missionaries in SPI's old "Conquistador" game who actually usually made things worse, not better (historically correct, considering the era).

I can't remember if there's a Father Corby in any Gettysburg game, but I remember seeing a counter with his image on it in one of them; don't know if it represented the Irish Brigade or the good Father himself (who, just before the brigade moved south to meet Longstreet's second-day assault at Gettysburg, pronounced General Absolution upon his soldiers then added the caveat that any man who ran would be denied Christian burial).

There are Chaplains in Games Workshop's "Warhammer 40K" Space Marines, but their role is rather more militant that what we're accustomed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Days of Knights miniatures rules include rules for "Religious Persons". In combat, they give a benefit to the unit's ability to rally, and thus shrug off any disruption caused by combat. In addition, at the beginning of the game, you roll for "Omens and Portents". If an omen occurs, each side has to roll whether it views that omen as positive or negative (which allows the player to reroll a die sometime in the game, or force the opponent to reroll once). If you have a Religious Person in your army, you always view omens as positive!

'York's 17 year old son Edward was raising an army in Wales when he head the news of his father's death. He realised that he must join Warwick in London. He was also aware of a Lancastrian army under Owen Tudor and it was this that he decided to destroy first. The opposing armies met at Mortimer's Cross on the 2 February where, at 10 o'clock in the morning was seen a curious phenomenon "three suns shining full clear". The young Edward took this to be an omen for good and this was the origin of the Yorkist "Sunne in Splendour".'

http://www.planetsimon.co.uk/ecorcheur_new/wars.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes supposedly has "counters (that) represent squads, leaders, heroes, medics and even the occasional chaplain or scout."

swedgamer wrote:
There are lots of priest in "Here I Stand" and he can even be the Pope himself.

Well, I did get to play that "Zwingli Dons Armor" event card to remove a troublesome French unit stationed at Geneva.

(Hmm, there were all those Leonidas Polk comments a month or so ago: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28941 )

I bought Golden Trivia Game: M*A*S*H Edition a few years ago for $1. It has a famous chaplain...

It appears that Akkon: Machtkampf der Tempelritter uses chaplains for bluffing purposes and as an optional to pay one less knight templar in the action phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes supposedly has "counters (that) represent squads, leaders, heroes, medics and even the occasional chaplain or scout."

No, there aren't. There are Chaplains and Scouts in Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam. But since all the LnL games use the same manual, you can still read about them in the rules for Band of Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Friedrich' includes the army of the Holy Roman Empire, in addition to the Austrian forces of the Holy Roman Empress herself...and it is a game many boardgamers as well as wargamers would enjoy!

'Kingmaker' includes Offices of Archbishops and Bishops, which are needed to crown a king and also sometimes have their own troops.

There was an older game, as I recall it was called something like 'A Mighty Fortress' which included both Papal Forces, as well as Papal and Lutheran aligned forces--I think both sides could place entire regions under excommunication!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel of Ages has "Gregory" a monk/priest like fellow who can heal others. (Set 5, Mercenary Camp; you'd need at least also Set 1. I think the Masters' Addendum has a corrected card for him).

Warhammer 40K has chaplains, at least in the space marines. We played with a friend who dropped in some Space Marines. Their chaplain lobbed a vortex grenade. Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Timms
United Kingdom
Shipston on Stour
flag msg tools
Credo!: the Game of Dueling Dogmas

Don't forget Credo (if you can get a copy). In that you can "design" the Christian faith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.