Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ettel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a question about garrisons/task forces that are defending with a unit: A unit with one pip and a task force are defending an area. They take two hits during offensive ground fire. I think they are both eliminated no matter what options I take for hits. I could:

a) take the retreat due to Ground Fire (6.421c) - one hit would be absorbed by the retreat and the unit retreats to another area. The task force or garrison cannot retreat according to 16.21 – “Garrison assets cannot retreat from combat; units in the area with the garrison can absorb a hit by retreating, though this will destroy the garrison…”. I take this to mean that the garrison is just eliminated without taking a hit. This leaves one hit for the retreating unit to still take, eliminating it.
or
b) I just take the two hits, eliminating both the unit and the garrison/task force.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Task force and Garrison chits can't retreat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin ElzingaCheng
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The garrison or task force definding with a unit is treated as a battle asset so can take a hit before the point unit. In this case because it will be destroyed anyway when the unit retreats, it takes the first hit, then the second hit is resolved by retreating the unit.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ettel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rule 6.42c seems to imply that the first hit must be for the retreat option if you are taking it (although it doesn't state that explicitly). If this is the case then the retreat happens first and THEN hits are allocated according to 6.43. If that is true then there is still the question of whether the garrison/task force which was left behind can still take a hit or whether it is just eliminated.

Or, I'm just overthinking this. Hopefully, Rick or John can clear this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliminate the garrison, then retreat the unit for the second hit.

There is no requirement to take the retreat first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ettel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rick, thanks for the quick answers to all of my various questions! We have played about 6 games so far and are enjoying it immensely. Still haven't seen a German win yet, but we will keep trying. I've been tracking the discussion on ConsimWorld looking for strategy tips. We'll see if they help. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for that clarification, as the Hit Priority chart is in a numbered sequence and the final box says "Additional hits : all remaining hits are step losses" I had taken this to mean that in Ground Combat, the retreat and avoidance of a step loss hadto be taken first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand how that misunderstanding happened. I'll figure a better way of saying it for volume II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, Rick, I think we'll want to say something more like: all remaining hits must be applied as losses (to remaining units and assets) because the key idea is that the defender can no longer absorb / avoid hits....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John - That does not address the confusion, which lies with the retreat paragraph being higher up in the sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.