Subject: Dumb question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Joseph
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Why no bonus dice for flank attacks or attacks from the rear? These specific assaults often decided the contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
If you attack a unit on the flank with a mounted, warrior or leader-attached unit, any flag rolled will allow you to attack it twice (1st attack plus the one following momentum advance). Doubling the number of dice seems a huge bonus to me!

This was a quick answer, you will find more elaborate arguments (there have been many) with a search of "flank" or "bonus" or "modifier" in the game forums.

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two game mechanics already make flank and rear attacks more deadly.
A unit that has only one adjacent friendly unit (typically a unit at the 'end' of a line) does not have the morale boost that would allow it to ignore one flag, so retreat is more probable.
If you are attacking from the rear, you are blocking the retreat route of the unit you are attacking (and you can be crafty enough to block both rear hexes): if the enemy cannot rout, all flag results are block elimination results.
So, in C&C:A, flank and rear attacks are sound tactics, which the system encourages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
If you attack a unit on the flank with a mounted, warrior or leader-attached unit, any flag rolled will allow you to attack it twice (1st attack plus the one following momentum advance).

That has nothing to do with an attack on the flank - it's true under any circumstances where a unit has retreated, and the attacker is capable of a follow-up attack.

The only advantage to a flank attack is that a unit with two adjacent friendly units may ignore one Flag result. So, if you can attack the end of a line, or an isolated unit, it can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
After playing the game a ridiculous number of times, I think flank and rear attacks are balanced and possess adequate impact. Of course, it's your game - you can use whatever house rules you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
franchi wrote:
If you attack a unit on the flank with a mounted, warrior or leader-attached unit, any flag rolled will allow you to attack it twice (1st attack plus the one following momentum advance).

That has nothing to do with an attack on the flank - it's true under any circumstances where a unit has retreated, and the attacker is capable of a follow-up attack.

I meant "a unit on the flank of the line". They are often supported by at most 1 unit, so "any flag rolled will allow you to attack it twice". If the unit is in the middle of the line you'll need at least 2 flags, and momentum advancing alone into the enemy line may leave you exposed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
I meant "a unit on the flank of the line". They are often supported by at most 1 unit, so "any flag rolled will allow you to attack it twice". If the unit is in the middle of the line you'll need at least 2 flags, and momentum advancing alone into the enemy line may leave you exposed...

Even so, it would be more accurate to say a single flag will allow you two attacks - since whether or not you can attack the same unit depends on how far it retreats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GraftonHill wrote:
Why no bonus dice for flank attacks or attacks from the rear? These specific assaults often decided the contest.

There actually is a bonus for attacking the flank:

Battle-back is only allowed if a unit doesn't retreat. Units on the flanks are generally not supported by two other units, and therefore less likely to stand for a battle back.

The support/battle back rules do a great job of creating an incentive to maintain a linear formation with it's flank secured/protected by a terrain feature (as it was historically).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, it must not be a dumb question because it's been asked a couple dozen times.

I'm going to guess you've just started playing CCA, but have played other games.

We get accustomed to certain patterns in games and one item of learned game behavior is "do certain things and you will get a distinct bonus of some kind." You're not the first person to ask why there is not a clear cut, obvious "bonus" for flank attacks, and one guy--I'm not making this up-- actually posted that he was "not through reading the rules yet" but suggested a "variant" that gave a +2 die bonus for flank attacks.

Those of us who have been here since the game came out are sometimes not very patient with things like that, and I'm probably less patient than most.

I really like the way Sifu put it-- I too have played CCA a "ridiculous' amount of times-- a lot more than all other games combined since CCA came out. And I continue to marvel and enjoy how well it works. Unilke your standard "+2 for this, +1 for that, -1 for this dumb thing," CCA plays with a "seamless" style that may, at first, seem like they "left something out." In fact, like our friend the "I haven't finished the rules yet" person, many gamers feel like there MUST be a typo or something-- like they "forgot" to put in flank bonuses.

Trust us. It works. It works very well. In game after game after game. It works astonishingly well as a solo game (there are threads to help with this). It even works well with 3 or 4 players (there's a thread to help you with this too). In fact, there are a lot of really useful threads runnnig around here on the forum. they just take some wading through to find because there are so many variant rules threads posted all over the place. But spend some time seeing what's here. You'll get a lot of questions answered.

I play it and I don't get tired of it. I'll be playing with some folks 2 weeks from tomorrow and I can't wait. It's that good-- as designed, and without help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Joseph
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks Kevin Duke for your analysis based on long-standing experience with the game. I really like the game. And you were right; I'm just a crusty old wargamer from way back who is trying C&C:A for the first time, always a solo player. I will accept your advice and track down whatever solo threads I can find. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one with about 5 different ways to play it solo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/107756

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one with about 5 different ways to play it solo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/107756

If you'll pardon the personal plug, here is a thread on playing with 3 or 4 people (without 2 boards and Epic rules.)

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/141451

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.