Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how everyones' first round of Felix happens. Specifically, when I played this it seemed like there was intense bidding just to not be the first one out of the first round, as that person gets the least amount of money. IMO that puts that person in a little bit of trouble, as at that point everyone will be richer than you, and with the sack winner most likely have more points than you. It just seems like by being the first to pass is just a chicken match, as everyone has pretty much the same amount of knowledge regarding the sack (except the first card, but if I was that player, I wouldn't be afraid to press on a little bit) and the same amount of information.

What do you all think of this? Am I over thinking this? I'll admit I've only got this to the table once, but this little choke point kind of disappointed me for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's plausible, but what could also happen are...

with the bid keep going up and up, someone's gonna drop eventually. At the offchance that the person to your left drops and everyone else follows suit, you'll be forced to pay for the bid.....

.......If you're one of the players who doees NOT know what the later cards are, hope no1 put in a negative, or put in a big dog to cancel out that 15cat. Even if you do win a good bid, some "chicken auctions" can drive the price anywhere from 12 to 25 mice!! Unless there are ALL positive cats in the lot, you're either not gonna score much, or not gonna break even.

Getting 2 mice instead of 3, 4, or 6 is kind of a drag, but you'll be in more control if the next or later rounds have you putting your card down towards the end. Good chance to make them pay by negging their score, or 'big dogging' their won lot. With the extra $$ they earned passing that last round, they're likely to be more cocky and go for the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about this (I have only one play of Felix so far), and I think you have a good point. I think that this means that when you bid, if you go first, you need to bid not just 1 or 2, but the actual amount that you estimate (from the cat you put in) the pot is worth. The purpose is to drive other players out before the bidding gets around to you again.

I'm tempted to run some simulations to try to determine what the "right" bidding strategy is in this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I've thought about this (I have only one play of Felix so far), and I think you have a good point. I think that this means that when you bid, if you go first, you need to bid not just 1 or 2, but the actual amount that you estimate (from the cat you put in) the pot is worth. The purpose is to drive other players out before the bidding gets around to you again.

I'm tempted to run some simulations to try to determine what the "right" bidding strategy is in this game!

I think that this is a pretty good idea, but you're potentially shooting yourself in the foot, with the possibility of the dogs being in there. Still, it's not a bad idea to try out. And even if you do shoot yourself, it's a 20 minute game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.