United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom will be going to Paris in a few weeks, and she's asked if there are any European goodies I'd like. Being me, my mind immediately went to games, but I had a few questions about what kinds of games I could get.

First, are there any must-have games that are available in France but not in the US? Preferably something with a rules translation on the Geek.

Second, I'm not sure whether something would be available in France just because it's available in Germany, so does anyone know how European game publishing work? Is it safe to assume that she would be able to find a copy of, say, Agricola?

Finally, do any French geeks have any recommendations about a must-see game store in Paris that I could send her to? All the titles in the world won't help if she can't find the right shop.

Thanks for all the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shops: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If you like Jungle Speed, the expansion and FlowerPower are easier to get over there.

For stores, along with the other threads, check the Asmodee page and look at their dealer list for the areas of Paris you will be in.

Another one that is easy to get there is Carrousel.

In all honesty, the exchange rate is so brutal and games are so expensive in Europe that some games are cheaper from Le Valet than from a store in Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeux Descartes on Rue des Ecoles was very American-friendly, in our experience.

I agree with everything Jonathan says (as usual!). The two French games that I haven't been able to find at levalet but still covet are Kiproko and Jamaica (which I finally broke down and ordered from France). If I were in Paris, I'd also check out Kheops (new Faidutti two-player from Tilsit) and Marrakech from Gigamic (note spelling -- there are at least two other similarly-named but differently-spelled games).

If you don't have the Mr. Jack expansion, I think it would be easier to find there, although I managed to buy a copy from a different Canadian online vendor. And I really like Animalia.

But, so far, when my friend visits from Paris next month, I'm hoping for chocolate more than games. (Send your mom to one of the Cote de France stores!) French game prices are really high even when the dollar is doing better vis a vis the Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.