Crimson Skies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Other Rules to play Crimson Skies in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn McClune
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game seem quite rare and hard to come by, what other rules would you suggest that are either similar or could play a similar world in. I have been thinking of using Silent Death rules, and just custom make all the ships to match Crimson Skies planes.

Later,
Glenn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. It's the weaponry that is the difference. The templates for CS really add a level of strategy. Do you go with a round that penetrates deeply, but narrowly, or one that causes a large, shallow hole? Magnesium rounds that burn for a few rounds after impact, or regular? What weight can I carry on my plane without sacrificing armor and other components?

You could try Silent Death. It's a space game, but since it's fighter based, it may work (it would still be very different).

You would be better served finding some WWII dogfighting rules and then add in Crimson Skies flavor. Wings of War: The Dawn of World War II is a card-based WWII game that is in itself a great game. You could adapt that to suit your needs, I think. It would be totally different from true CS, but you're out to have fun, right?

Also, while the core rules are harder to come by, the other source books aren't. I'd get those and look at the "universe" before settling on a ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:
Hmmm. It's the weaponry that is the difference. The templates for CS really add a level of strategy. Do you go with a round that penetrates deeply, but narrowly, or one that causes a large, shallow hole? Magnesium rounds that burn for a few rounds after impact, or regular? What weight can I carry on my plane without sacrificing armor and other components?

I don't know. I'd have to say that the unique movement system for Crimson Skies is just as important a difference as the weaponry. To me, using the movement chart to plan out my planes' moves each turn helped make this game feel about as close to an actual 3-dimensional dogfight as I'm going to get in a 2-dimensional boardgame.

I definitely agree about Silent Death. I love that game, but it's movement and weapon systems wouldn't really seem to fit Crimson Skies' gameplay at all.

I'm honestly surprised that the rules for Crimson Skies aren't posted online somewhere since the game is long out of print, FASA is gone, and Wizkids has moved on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Your 6! ?

Since many of the CS planes have WWII equivalents this could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try one of these:
Knights in the Sky
Hunters in the Sky
MiG Hunters
Mach Speed Hunters

Personally, I'd use Hunters in the Sky - WW2 period. You'd have to make up the aircraft stats, but that's true of all these games. And this set of rules is suitably simple for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
I'm honestly surprised that the rules for Crimson Skies aren't posted online somewhere since the game is long out of print, FASA is gone, and Wizkids has moved on.

Of course, you could have said much the same about Battletech not so long ago. But boardgame flight sims were pretty much put out of business by computer & video games. Now, however, they're making a comeback thanks to simple, visible games like Wings of War (OK, not just like WoW, it's pretty much the entire comeback...) Crimson Skies was never a complex game - it could work well in WoW format or similar. But just using a WoW Manoeuvre and Damage deck with a CS aircraft name isn't going to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.