Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
As Dice Tower listeners probably have noticed, I've been getting a bit later and later with posting the new shows, and doing the enhanced show is also a bit of work. I've started to get clogged between family, school, church, and games - and games will always be the first one to feel the crunch.

Therefore, I'm seriously thinking about stopping my writing of reviews, and taking my reviews to a completely audio format. This would give me more time for the Dice Tower proper, and I might have more time to pump out special shows. On the other hand, stopping written reviews may stop companies from sending us games - which would give us less to talk about on the show (although I think we're set for the next several years).

So I guess what I'm asking here is - "How much would you guys miss my reviews?" I'm also considering going back to just the writing reviews, so the end of the Dice Tower - or at least a MUCH less frequent show could happen.

Got any ideas? Thoughts? I don't want to make a snap decision, but I don't want to be overwhelmed, so I need to make some sort of decision.

Note: I'm not looking for accolades or a pat on the back, I'm trying to gauge how many folks here do NOT listen to the Dice Tower, but DO like my reviews (at least a little).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, I used to listen to the dice tower, but I haven't for a while. Though I enjoyed the show, it was to hard to write code and listen .

Honestly, I like your reviews, don't always agree, but I have a feel for what you like, so I'm able to gauge my own chance of liking something from your reviews. That and the fact that you have been done so many already is one reason I'd miss your reviews. If you are trying to gauge the best interest of the community, then your writing is more important - new users are going to see your review long before they download a podcast and listen for the review.

In the end though, do what works best for you logistically, because it should be a fun part of your hobby unless you are getting paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would miss the Dice Tower more. Reviews are everywhere...quality podcasts, not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
May you have success in whatever you decide to do! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always look for one of your reviews first when I click a new game.

Never listened to your pod thingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brief accolade: You're awesome.

Response to your question: I vastly prefer, and derive more value from, your written reviews over The Dice Tower. This is almost entirely due to my dislike of podcasts, finding them too time-consuming in comparison with the written word while delivering little added value. This is in line with Charles' comment, namely that you can't do much productively while listening to a podcast (compared to, say, listening to music).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't listen to podcasts. I do read reviews, and I enjoy and value yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farid Widjaya
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, for me personally - I read spend a lot more time reading your reviews than listening to the podcast. The top 100 is also great and In fact the first few games I purchased was very much based on your list for a starting point. I cant wait for the 2008 list! Thanks for everything you have done and all the best in whatever direction you decide to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not listen to the Dice Tower, or any other podcast/audio/video review format.

I do like your reviews. In fact, when considering a "new to me" game, your review is the first thing I look for. I may not agree with your final verdict on the game, but it gives me a baseline, given that I can compare your reviews of other games I like/dislike and get a pretty accurate feel for the game.

In the end, though, I'm not going to urge you to go one way or another. I'm grateful for the reviews that are there, and miss them when they're not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two or three reviewers I always read first when researching a game, and you are one of them. I'd really miss your reviews if you stopped writing them.

I listened to a few minutes of "The Dice Tower," but that was it. I don't like podcasts, because I always feel I can get the same info much faster by just reading it.

So my vote: Keep the reviews! Ditch the tower! Please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your podcasts bore me to tears.

Your reviews have some merit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I for one would sorely miss the podcast - I can't read reviews while walking to work while the podcast makes the time fly by.

Cliff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's a personal decision for you.

But since you asked...

I feel I know what I am going to get when I read one of your reviews: as far as a well organized format and a distinct point of view. I do know you have gotten a lot of flak in the past for getting "game payoffs", which my response would be "SO?" I never thought you were writing reviews solely for games. If this has become the main reason for your reviewing games, I would tell you to stop.

I do think you may have gotten into a reviewing rut. If this is the case, don't "stop reviewing". Instead, only write reviews about games you feel especially passionate about (positive or negative).

My 2 cents.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yours is the first review I look for when evaluating a game. I'd miss the written reviews more than the podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
I don't listen to podcasts. I do read reviews, and I enjoy and value yours.

Seconded. When I go on BGG to read a review, I tend to check and see if Tom has written a review yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Clovis
California
flag msg tools
I also prefer the written reviews over the Dice Tower. While both are entertaining, I am more of a visual processor than an audio one. Also, at least for me, the written reviews are easier to search for keywords, skim, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
My (apparently minority) opinion...

I'd much rather have more text content than audio on the Internet. I don't listen to Podcasts (no way to do so on my work computer and no time at home), but I do read reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been annoyed by (and therefore never listen to) podcasts, but I do frequently read your reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the podcast. There are tons of reviews, but very few good gaming podcasts, and your's is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Manbeck
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The first thing I look for (and hope for) when I am considering a game is one of your amazingly well written reviews. I hope that they do not stop.

Thanks for all the great reviews!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Always look for one of your reviews first when I click a new game.

Never listened to your pod thingy.

++
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom -

I do listen to the Dice Tower and really enjoy the show. The reviews on the show are perhaps more fun than the written reviews because you tend to tell a more personal story about how the game was played, who won, etc.

However, if I had to choose, I'd prefer to keep the written reviews. I'm a light/casual gamer and the first review I read is always yours (if available). Sometimes it's the only review I'll read. I tend to skim the review the first time and then read in more detail if the game still seems intriguing.

The written reviews are easy to find and skim. A Dice Tower review would require downloading the show (or review) and listening patiently for your overall rating. It would take more time to research and find your review.

From a Tom Vasel fan perspective, I prefer the written reviews. But as noted previously, you should do what works best for your situation.

You write the reviews as a community service for a hobby you enjoy. As you said, other things are more important in your life. If you need to sacrifice part of your hobby, make sure you keep the parts of it you most enjoy.

-Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't listen to the Dice Tower, nor any game podcast really. Your reviews, however, have been invaluable to me.

windmill88 wrote:
The written reviews are easy to find and skim. A Dice Tower review would require downloading the show (or review) and listening patiently for your overall rating. It would take more time to research and find your review.

Exactly. With the reviews I am in control. I can skim, refer, glance or read straight through; as little or as much as I like. With a podcast it's more work for less end user control over the info you are providing. This is why the reviews are better for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    There are games you haven't reviewed yet?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't "skim" a podcast.

I have listsened to a total of ONE podcast that I wasn't involved in. They're just not for me.

As for whatever you choose, Tom, do whatever makes you happy. You owe nothing to the community and should feel no obligation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.