Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Clue» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Bit of a Cheat... but worth a try (or worth looking out for others doing!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a simple sort-of-cheat that you can use in Cluedo. And if you don't use it, then at least play so that you prevent others from doing so.

When you make a suggestion, you generally do this:
- suggest a person, room and weapon.
- get shown a card
- mark off on your paper that you've seen a card

The key is that everyone generally uses the same pieces of paper that come with the game, which lists people at the top, weapons in the middle, and rooms at the bottom.

So when you see the card, and mark it on the paper, I watch you. If you mark the top of the paper, I know you saw the person, if you mark the middle, I know you saw the weapon, and if you mark the bottom, I know you saw the room. I might as well have peered over your shoulder and seen the card you were shown.

So - if you're mean and horrible, then watch out for where other players mark their paper after seeing a card.

And - whether or not you're mean and horrible, always pretend to mark all three areas of the paper. So if you ask about Mrs White in the Lounge with the Dagger, and get shown the Dagger, then always pretend to make a mark next to Mrs White, then actually make a mark next to the dagger, then pretend to make a mark next to the Lounge.

Advanced Option - if you've realised your opponent is a sneaky little so-and-so, and is using this tactic against you, rather than just marking all three areas to stop him cheating, you can deliberately mislead him. In the above example, where you're shown the Dagger, just pretend to make a mark at the top next to Mrs White, and do nothing else. You might be able to convince him that you saw Mrs White when actually you saw the Dagger. You can then just mark off the Dagger later when he's not watching. This is especially useful if you can fake marking off a person/place/weapon that you're pretty sure is the actual one used in the murder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played with my Clue sheet turned sideways and folded it in half.

When playing Mystery of the Abbey, I fold my sheet two times along the ranks and turned sideways, pushed up against the corner of my folder.

Any one not protecting their information is just giving it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can cheat... or you can deduce information and win without cheating. I can usually tell everyone the cards in their hand by the end of the game. You don't have to resort to paying attention to the areas where people marked. There's usually a lot of information being passed around in the game verbally and if you can identify it and extract it, then you can get a leg up on other players. Plus it's not vulnerable to someone fake-marking their sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
psymann wrote:
So when you see the card, and mark it on the paper, I watch you. If you mark the top of the paper, I know you saw the person, if you mark the middle, I know you saw the weapon, and if you mark the bottom, I know you saw the room. I might as well have peered over your shoulder and seen the card you were shown.

I so totally used to do this when I was 11. My brothers never caught on. he he he devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shirley
United Kingdom
hemel hempstead
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunting Party gives each player a shield for their notes with the three categories differently arranged on each shield precisely to prevent this sort of skullduggery.

Personally, I make so many notes now, that it ends up covering all three sections anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's information available to everyone, I don't see how it's cheating. It's up to your opponents to make this hard to do, like marking their sheet under the table or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blackburn
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's cheating if you're the only person aware of this tactic.

If you're just taking advantage of a newb, it's different than if everyone has played before.

You can normally deduce what they're doing, though. What you're really looking for (and the other players are looking for) is seeing a card they haven't seen before. Good players will make guesses to maximize their probability of seeing a card on a given turn. Keep track of the first few guesses players make, it's unlikely that they'll guess a card they have because it cuts into their chances of getting new information.

If someone guesses white, dagger, conservatory against you and you have white and a dagger, you should keep track of what you've showed them and try to show them the same card again if possible. This gives them no new information.

Other players should intentionally try to avoid that. If you're playing against competent other players, they're very unlikely to guess the same thing that they've seen before, because they won't get new information.

So if you see someone guess white, dagger, conservatory, see a card, and then later guess dagger conservatory (not necessarily on the next turn), you know that the third player most likely has White (especially depending on their reaction and the reaction of the other player or if no cards are shown for the dagger/conservatory guess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.