Thumb up
1 Posts

Taboo» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Taboo - 1st game - [session report] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
I jumped in midgame when everyone had perhaps 1 turns being "it". Mainly, that was just a demonstration of how the game worked. 9 to 10p game (somebody else joined halfway in). Took about an hour from the time I joined. The buzzer was NOT working, so we just buzzed manually with our own voices.

1st time I was "it", got buzzed on 4 cards. Got only one correct. 2nd time I was "it", got buzzed only twice. Got 2 of the cards correct though. 3rd time proved most interesting. I managed to get 4 cards correct. Furthermore, I was using a fresh set of expansion pack cards, straight from their shrink wrap. The fact that 2 or 3 cards stuck together added to the tension. I either quickly seperated them, or when it was too time consuming, I just threw the whole lot in and would take out the stuck cards that I didn't score.

I don't know what the contents of the game are, but due to the sheer # of players, I can't say I was surprised the game owner opened up 3 extra deck of cards. That kept the topics rolling and mostly fresh. There were some snafus such as getting the same card again. The performer simply just said "that thing we guessed before with the two words and a lot of time alloted for it" which many guessed right away to be "brain child". Some were very similar as well, such as "global warming" and "Al Gore" to seem to be too much of a coincidence.

When it was my turn to monitor for guess words, that invoked just as much anxiety as performing, if not more so. It was my job to make sure the performer wasn't using any guess words and getting otherwise easy points. I never did buzz any on her. Some of the cards stumped her to the point of taking more than 10s, while others made her pass, but she seemed to have the idea and planning of not using guess words down pact. I was gonna call out on using "English" when "British" was a guess word. I thought about for a few seconds, but by that time, the card was done. No point in dwelling on that any longer since the moment was passed.

There were some potential issues with rules that I noticed. Someone used the phrase "spanish for tea" (or at least I think that's what she said). The game owner allowed it, but emphasized that that's only allowed in a strict foreign language context. Using foreign languages to describe rules wasn't allowed. There was one case of "near opposites", as in "not like owl, but....". That went by w/o incident. I asked someone about this, but several casual answers said that probably isn't acceptable. One thing for sure we did NOT follow was the scoring on the rules. Indicated in the link below, passed or buzzed cards actually count for the OTHER team. We just disregarded those cards. No complaints really, as it was an informal game, and counting score that went to the other team instead would've made the night needlessly more complicated.

In the end, the other team won by one point.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.