Thumb up
1 Posts

Modern Art» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Alexander
flag msg tools
Another late-night game of Modern Art. It came down to learning a new game (my vote), or an old staple - most people weren't up for thinking of something new, so the majority ruled. But this is a great game I'll never turn down. It gets more requests than any game we've ever played in our group.

I continued my strategy that I said I wouldn't continue any more - that is, staying away from auctions that I feel are too expensive (which is most of them), and letting other people win certain auctions so that they will increase the value of the cards I have. For example, if I have lots of blue cards, and a double blue auction, I'll try to let someone close to the left of me win it - that way, they'll be likely to play more blue, and blue will get higher, and I can play my double in later rounds. If someone plays a green, and I don't have many greens, I'll try to buy it rather than let someone else to the left get it - even if I pay way too much for it.

The problem with this strategy is you end up with a bunch of cards you don't want. And, if some jokers in the last couple rounds throw down a bunch of doubles, I'll only get one turn.

Anyway, back to the game. So, I played my lame strategy, Paul was using his buying strategy (he almost ran out of money on most rounds), and everyone else was playing safe (it was a 5 player game). I ended up with very few cards - I made lots of money on smart sales (especially the last couple rounds), but not nearly enough, since the last couple rounds ended so quickly. Didn't write down the final score... but Paul won with around $450k, I was last place with $307k, and everyone else in between. If there's someone who's willing to overpay for everything, and no one else has the cards (or the guts) to screw them over and make their cards worthless, they have a good chance of winning. Paul's got a good strategy going, but I'm sure we can break it. I've just got to figure out how before the next game...

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.