Thumb up
1 Posts

Corsair Leader» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solomon Islands 1942-1943 - Last Mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
flag msg tools
Today I finished my first Medium campaign after flying 5 missions and letting the pilots rest two days.

We managed to destroy the target/s for all the missions (some just barely) and lost only one pilot (if the rules for the flack event card were interpreted right, as I'm not sure you can use suppression in that case).

The last mission on day six was the Enemy's Headquarters after having flown Betty Intercept, Marine Support, Supply Depot and Fighter Sweep.

I took off with the 10 planes allowed for the mission and spent my last 30 ordnance points in bombs. There were 4 fighter planes, the rest bombers of different kinds.

We were quite lucky and only one bandit was flying over the target, but there were some powerful sites on the ground. First we managed to destroy a site and suppress the other in the approach, and over target we let every bomb on the target. The first run of bombs was pretty bad, scoring only 3 hits on the target, then we managed to withstand the attack of the enemy artillery with a couple of damaged planes (no bombs lost). There was one attack towards the B-17 plane but luckily we managed to suppress it. Now, it was the turn of the two slower bombers that still had bombs, and it was just as bad, scoring only 2 hits.

Now we had no bombs left and had to score two hits with machine guns (needed roll of 10). But now, the second turn over the target started with some excellent rolls (4 tens in a row) and we not only managed to destroy the target, but three of the sites as well. After suppressing the last one and destroying the only bandit (that had managed to evade us before) we left for the flight home.

The return event was a positive one, so we encountered no trouble and the 10 planes managed to return home.

So, after this mission most (if not all) the pilots were either shaken or unfit to fly. Adding to that the fact that we had only 4 ordnance points left (gained after destroying this target) I decided to rest the last day and end the campaign with a total of 17 points. A great result.

Thoughts: I had fun playing this game. I left it setup on a small table in my room where it wouldn't be disturbed by the kids and played the missions at my leisure during the last 3 days. Each mission plays very fast so it's easy to find a short spot of time to fly one, but if you've got time, you can fly more in a row (or even a whole campaign) too, so play time is greatly adaptable.

The game is very random, but there's a lot you can do to prepare for it. Also, you can decide how much risk to take (at the beginning and also during the missions) so it's a great risk management game. The missions are tense and many times I thought I was lost only to make it at the last moment. In that regard the game is great.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.