1 Posts

ThinkBlot» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Thinkblot review (non-die version) - suprisingly boring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Ritter
United States
flag msg tools
This review was of a version of the game that does not include or use the 12-sided die referenced in the Tom Vasal review. I'm unaware if this is therefore a newer or older version.

The game consists of a 90-second egg timer and a stand up pad that has several ink blot pages. The reverse of each page highlights a few images that can be seen in the blots for bonus points, and the bottom of the stand serves as a scoring indicator. The stand included in my game stood well enough, but the scoring indicator has you move your peg to the end and then back to the start with no indicator of which direction you are going. The scoring indicator also would not life flat without the additional application of a heavy object to hold it down. Also included are some tiny pencils and sheets on which to record your list of seen images. Nothing of these sheets could not be replaced by normal paper.

When the timer is flipped a new page of blots is revealed and each player writes down the images he/she "sees within any part of the blot. When time is out, the lists are compared.
* If the majority do not agree that an image can be seen - 0 points
* You alone wrote down the image - 2 points
* More than one player wrote down the image - 1 point each
(The group also decides if two images are really the same, even if the written descriptions differ slightly)

After base scoring, you then flip to the back of the inkblot page and see
5 images the game creators outline. Any that listed any of those 5 get 1 bonus point/image. This proves to be slightly inconvenient, since you have to flip the pad around (with the attached score indicator and thing holding it flat) to see the back, and then swing it back to score the bonus points (making sure to flip the page back so as to not see the next image before it's time.

The game plays as the first to 36 points, which can be accomplished in as little as 2 pages. The blots aren't highly....shapely. Instead there is a lot of lines with blobs, like dripped ink. (I.e. not Rorschach-type shapes) This led my group to outlawing such images as protozoa, letters, and punctuation, as they were seen in every pages, many places.

I was disappointed in the shapes, and the scoring method rewards bland and arguable images rather than the truly good ones.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.