1 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Within sight of control of Europe... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Merric Blackman
flag msg tools
Ramping up my reviewing.
Happily playing games for many, many years.
There are many flaws in my play of Twilight Struggle. I love the game, and Randy and I have had many close games of it, but ultimately most of the games end with Randy victorious, regardless of whether he's played the USSR or the US.

The last two games have seen me come remarkably close to controlling Europe, and thus winning the game. Unfortunately, that last hurdle has just been too much to overcome. In the first game, my USSR had control of four of the five battlegrounds in Europe, but then Randy's US crept back into to Europe, helped along by various event cards, and eventually won by victory points (20) at the beginning of the 10th turn.

The second game saw my US forces have a surprising amount of control over Europe. Romania was an early battleground - I gained control of it, the USSR played an event to destroy my influence there, I played an event to match the USSR event, and then the Truman Doctrine removed the USSR influence and I had control again... for the rest of the game.

France, Italy and West Germany were mine for most of the game. In the final moments, East Germany fell to me, Italy fell to Randy, and a well-timed Terrorism stripped me of the Brush War that almost certainly would have seen Italy come back to me... and with Chernobyl in play, Poland could not be far behind. Alas, Randy was able to get the VPs he needed - through a Captured Nazi Scientist, of all things - in the 8th turn to take the victory!

Randy had some bad times in the early game - I used Red Scare/Purge on him in both turns 2 & 3! - but slowly he was able to rebuild his power base and dominate the scoring in the game.

A brief summary of the various scoring events in that second game:
Turn 1
US Space Race +2
== US 2

Turn 2
Europe Scoring = US +1
Asia Scoring = USSR +5
Middle East Scoring = USSR +3
== USSR 7

Turn 3
Military Ops failed = US -2
Defectors = US +1
== USSR 8

Turn 4
Duck and Cover = US +3
Europe Scoring = US +6
Asia Scoring = USSR +5
South America Scoring = USSR +3
South-East Asia Scoring = US +7
Space Race USSR = USSR +1
Mil Ops failed = US -2
== USSR 1

Turn 5
Alliance for Progress = US +1
Arms Race = USSR +3
??? = USSR +1
Space Race = USSR +2
== USSR 4

Turn 6
Camp David Accords = US +1
Middle East Scoring = USSR +2
Mil Ops fail = US -2
== USSR 6

Turn 7
Defectors = US +1
We Will Bury You = USSR +3
Central America Scoring = USSR +4
Mil Ops fail = USSR -2
== USSR 14

Turn 8
The Iron Lady = US +1
Arms Race = USSR +3
??? (USSR holds China Card) = USSR +1 (US play of USSR event)
Captured Nazi Scientist = USSR +3
== USSR 20 and victory!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.