1 Posts

Pacific Typhoon» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Three Sessions and a Ghost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Brunscheen
United States
flag msg tools

I've been lucky enough to get three different sessions of Pacific Typhoon in in the last two weeks. In the first session we had 4 players and three of us had experience with Atlantic Storm. We were all trying to just get a feel for the game and some of the special abilities of the new cards. The victory point values on the cards were easy to spot and total quickly as were the spoils and having the same type of visual reference on both cards made the game even easier for the new player to pick up and understand. Over all the cards do a great job of explaining themselves as the game progresses. There was very little rule book referencing during game play and when we did go to the book we found our answers quickly. The group of four played well but I look forward to maxing the number of players out and seeing how that goes.

In our second session a few days later I did my best to get 6 players to the table and got 3. We debated playing something else but one of our return players was the newbie from the first session and he really wanted to play Typhoon again. I was concerned it would fall flat with three but we agreed with a caveat. We included a ghost player. The ghost was dealt a hand. The dealer for the round controlled the ghost. The dealer had to pick the battle card and set the order of battle (day/night, air,surface,sub,combo)and play his card before looking at the ghost deck. When playing the ghost deck he could do what ever he wanted to assist himself including discarding a powerful card the ghost had in order to keep the other players from using it against him in the future, the ghost also got a share of the spoils at the dealers whim provided that if the ghost card one the battle he got the best spoil/battle card available. This ghost system worked better then I thought, primarily because the system of play encourages table talk and players working together. Often times the two other real players would work against the dealer and the ghost. We set the ghost player up to the right of the newbie player to give him the greatest advantage since his ghost player would always be the last player to go when it was his deal. The game ended up being very close and everyone was in it until the end. I thought I had won, turned out I was last.

The new guy asked to play another game right away. We were a little crunched for time so we dropped the ghost player to move things along and I wanted to see how the system handled three players without the ghost. To my surprise it played just as good if not better. I would need more games to really nail down my decision but I can tell you I've played a lot of three player Atlantic Storm and don't care for it. In Storm I found that one player could dominate the tricks if he got lucky with a good hand. Things seemed more balanced (at least in this one game) with Typhoon. One thing I can tell you, I wont hesitate to pull the game out with only three people. The added bonus; we really cooked through session three.

I'm still hankering for a game of six and as soon as I get one or two in I'll put my thoughts down.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.