Thumb up
1 Posts

A Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords Expansion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This was the second time I played this game with my friends. One of the 4 players (Greyjoy) was playing for the first time, but the rest of us had at least played Clash of Kings once, and two (the game owner, Lannister, and myself, Stark), had played the original a number of times.

The game began with Lannister offering Baratheon a deal by which Baratheon would not attack Lannister for the first two turns. Lannister would consolidate power in King's Landing for the first two turns, and play Hear Me Roar on turn 2. In return, Lannister would peacefully march out of King's Landing on turn 3, and Baratheon would move in and take it over. Thus, Lannister was able to avoid depending on selling back Ned Stark to have any power. Instead of marching Jaime over to protect King's Landing, Lannister was able to take Harrenhal with Tywin by playing Control Westeros, and he moved Jaime into position to take Silverhall on turn 2. Baratheon did not even threaten to go back on the deal; instead, he consolidated power in both Dragonstone and Storm's End, and marched a footman up into the Eyrie from Crackclaw Point. Greyjoy understandably adopted a rather defensive posture for pretty much the entire game, as it was his first time playing. He did take Riverrun on turn 1, but did not take another city or stronghold for the rest of the game. As Stark, I elected to play aggresively. I had both my on-the-board leaders moved down into Seagard at the end of turn 1, but did consolidate power in Winterfell. After seeing Lannister rake in gobs of power from King's Landing, however, I was in no mood to give him even more of my precious cash reserves and declined to pay for Ned Stark.

Turn two saw a supply and bidding. I elected not to get involved, and wound up at the bottom of all three tracks. I was hoping for another bidding, but there was not one for some turns, so I was rather weakened early on. Turn 2 also saw Swing the Sword come up, and I declined to cave in to Lannister's extortionist demands for 5 power in exchange for not killing Ned. I told him that I didn't really care what happened to Ned, and Lannister chopped his head off. While the Ned house card is good to have, I do not think to highly of any of the stark on the board leaders (especially compared to all the other houses - they definitely have the weakest 2 strength leader) and I didn't plan on losing any battles during the game, obliviating the need for the Ned house card.

The next few turns saw Baratheon slowly expanding into his "natural" territory, while Lannister marched all but a footman in Harrenhal east to fight the Greyjoys. I had beaten the Greyjoy armies several times, but hadn't taken any significant territory, when I was forced to make peace with Greyjoy and march my armies east. With Lannister abandoning the fight against Baratheon, there was no one to stop him from walking away with the game. By keeping the Iron Throne (not terribly difficult) and securing some Tyrell political support, Baratheon was able to amass seven claim rather quickly (Dragonstone, Storm's End, King's Landing, Ours is the Fury, Tyrell support, and winning one claim bidding). Lannister still stubbornly refused to do anything about it (despite my pointing out that his function in the game was as nothing more than a Baratheon stooge), which meant stopping Stannis was up to me.

Unfortunately, by the time I began marching east, there wasn't enough time to get to Dragonstone before Baratheon could get to Harrenhal and win the game. The game ended on turn 8 when Baratheon amassed his 8th claim by taking Harrenhal (and also grabbing the Outlaw Filthy Accusations card to prevent it being used against him - and ironically used it against his "friend" Lannister). Lannister did make a token effort to occupy an undefended King's Landing from the Roseroad, but a nearby Baratheon army saw it coming and easily drove him off. I made a seven move march from the Eyrie (using both Robb Stark and Black Walder's triggers to get enough marches) to take Riverrunn at the very end from Greyjoy. Unfortunatley, I later realized that, had I played Winter is Coming as my tactics card, I would have been able to boot one of the Baratheon claim off the claim track, which would have put us both at 7 at the end of turn 8. I would have then been able to march my entire army back to Crackclaw Point on turn 9, abandoning Riverrun to the Lannisters who had just moved into the area, but taking Dragonstone instead, ensuring a Stark victory. Sadly, everyone on turn 8 had come to accept the inevitable Baratheon victory, and were just playing for runner-up positions. I was more concerned with Greyjoy not noticing my attack was coming. By the end of the game, I had, much like Robb Stark, managed to avoid losing a single battle (thus justifying my decision to let Ned die), but in the end, I too lost the war.

The finaly tallies were:

Baratheon - 8 claim (Dragonstone, Storm's End, King's Landing, Harrenhal, Ours is the Fury, Tyrell Support, and 1 claim bid)

Stark - 6 claim (Winterfell, The Twins, Riverrun, Frey support, 1 claim bid)

Lannister - 3 claim (Lannisport, Silverhall), 2 strongholds/cities

Greyjoy - 3 claim (Pyke, 1 claim bid), 1 stronghold/city
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.