1 Posts

Loaded Questions» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
flag msg tools
Melodie had her B-day party tonight and as part of the evenings festivities we played Loaded questions.

The gist of the game is that one person reads a question like, "What is the most overrated band?" or "What person would you trust your most precious belonging to?". Everyone else writes down and answer, and then the person who read the question tries to guess whose answer was whose.

I remember hearing that this was one of those Non-game games with lots of talking but not much game playing. But I think that isn't quite true. The actual task to trying to put answers to questions to the correct people turned out to be quite fun. Probably even more fun as a few of the people were a little drunk.

So the core mechanic of the game works fine, What doesn't work is the whole rest of the game. You have a pawn that follows a path, you roll a die land on a color that determines what question you read. Each match you get moves you forward one. There are also a couple of shortcuts on the board and special 'reversal spots' which didn't come up in our game. The roll and move is kind of tedious. And the person who rolled well ended up winning. It is unnecessary, it is like the people making the game said, "It is a board game we have to roll and move as well right?"

Another frustrating aspect was that the questions weren't all of equal interest or difficulty. So say you get a cool question like "What event in history would you change?" That question makes you think about the people you are with, who would answer, "Socrates is found innocent" vs "prevent the Holocaust" vs "Stop the 80's!". The next question could be, "How many times do you look in the mirror in one day?" with answers like 1, 3, 5..... whee! You can make a vaguely educated guess about that question but it isn't interesting in any way.

I think this game is ok, but could have used some polish. Ditch the roll and move board and just go with a straight points system. The questions could certainly have been better. Shorten it up some.

We had a good time, laughed a lot, learned some stuff. We had a mix of people who are old friends and people who had never met one another before which made it interesting. Everyone was pretty much in a pack except for mike who rolled a high number, nailed an easy question, and then hit a shortcut in his first turn. He made it to the end first. The real rules I think were that he had to get every answer correct to win, we changed this to guessing 3/5 for the win because it was late and the game was overstaying its welcome. Mike won. Everyone agreed that it was an entertaining game.

It certainly isn't a gamer game, but as far as the genre of what would you do games, like scruples and such it is good because it keeps everyone involved every time.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.