1 Posts

Bolide» Forums » Sessions

Subject: La Coquille - 4 cars, 2 laps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
My brother and i did a four-car, two-lap race last night. (smirk) I didn't fare so well in that one. It was full sunny, which was good since i was boosting very often (and using ye olde Booster Set-up re-roll almost as much), but in the end, all it did was keep me from being creamed.

I took 7+3 Booster and 5/7+3 Brake, while both of his were 6/7+2 Brake. For the first half of the first lap, either i somehow skipped moving my 7+3 for a turn or he had horrible lines, because he was distinctly in third place. He did have a skidding start, but that shouldn't've hurt him *that* much. One of my brother's got a quick start, but i think that one lost the lead by the Courbe de la Guillotine, so that didn't pan out.

During the second half of the first lap my 7+3 finally got his head in the game. By the Grande Bagarre he was nearly caught up, by the Petite Bagarre he was ahead and by the Grand Anneau he had stretched out his lead a bit. Unfortunately, he didn't take the second half of the Grand Anneau as well as he could have and ended up losing some ground getting into the pit. My 5/7+3, meanwhile, was chugging along comfortably in fourth. For a time he had moved into third and even pretended to threaten second, but couldn't hold it. (smirk) Rookie driver, obviously.

Then came the dreaded three turns in the pit. Not unexpectedly, both of his moved to the front and my 7+3 exited right in front of my 5/7+3. Don't ask me how my 5/7+3 got so far behind, because i have no idea. (smirk) Maybe i *did* skip a turn with him. For the second lap, both of his cars were taking virtually identical lines. In fact, through the Grande and Petite Bagarre, i think they *were* taking identical lines. My 7+3 was slowly catching up, but he just didn't enter the pits quickly enough to pull it out. When he got to the Grand Anneau he had one chance, and even that wasn't a guarantee: pull off a Hard Braking with worn tires. Result? Failure. It could've been worse, but it took him off the track, though not by much.

As my 7+3 clawed his way back on, my brother's two were making their way to the finish line and my 5/7+3 was trying desperately to take third position. He didn't succeed. My 7+3 at least had managed to go off the track far enough "forward" that he was able to take the rest of the Grand Anneau with a nice line and made sure to Booster the entire way to the line. Using golf scoring, his second car was +1, my 7+3 was +3 and my 5/7+3 was +5.

For my 7+3, it all came down to the first lap's Beau Rivage and Courbe de la Guillotine. Even staying right with the 6/7+3s might've been enough, but he really should've had the lead by the 1/2GP mark. My 5/7+3 was really never in contention. I think part of the problem is that it was the wrong set-up for the track, but he obviously must not have had great lines, either, 'cause he should've put up more of a fight.

Even losing, it was fun race, which i guess is the mark of a good game. Obviously the tight curves are more interesting than the straights and mild ones, but i've proven that the latter are just as important. I can't remember what curve it was in response to, but the quote of the night was made by me: i so could've taken that better. that was all kinds of poor.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.