1 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Old version vs new version - initial thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Longdin
West Sussex
flag msg tools
As someone who has played approx 150 games (virtually all 2 player) of the first edition of GtR and one of only 2 games I rate a 10 (the other being Age of Steam), I was keen to get my hands on the updated edition. Well now I have it and these are a few initial thoughts on the differences between the versions - I haven't got round to playing with the new version yet however!

1) 'Out of Town' sites - I'm not sure how to take these. I liked the idea that you were limited to the number of each building type that you could use. Having said that, we'd got a little bit bored of just using 2 sites of each type and had recently started playing with 3 sites (in a 2 player game). This made the game longer and gave the opportunity to explore some strategies in more depth. (It also makes Forum victories much more of a serious threat). I'm guessing this change may eliminate the need for it but hey, if you wanted to build that Prison and all the blue foundation cards have again that should just be tough!

2) Multiple Jacks available - this will certainly change our game dynamic. More often than not, we usually only followed with Jacks so that you could pick them straight back up again on your turn. If you led with a Jack then the chances were your opponent was going to pick it up immediately and thus you only led with it if you thought you weren't going to need it later in the game.

3) Card quality - I was looking forward to the round-edged cards instead of the square ones but the quality of the card stock is not as good as the earliest version

4) Box - I really was hoping it was going to come in a proper one this time.

5) Rules - still ok but I wish they'd made it clear what colour each building was in the listing at the end.

6) Card changes - I'll reserve judgement on these until I've played but I'm certainly glad the patron power in the bar got split out as this was something that was always useful particularly when we played the 3 sites variant. However, no Marina. I liked this card.

Obviously I'll wait to make a definitive call until we've played with it, but it's more than possible that I may end up preferring the original.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.