Warhammer 40,000 (fourth edition)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Leitl
United States
Park Falls
flag msg tools
Warhammer 40K Battle of Macragge is the box set for Warhammer 40K 4th ed. What you get in this set is a rule book, a starting rule book with 7 scenarios, and roughly 35 fairly detailed plastic miniatures, enough to play all the scenarios in the book, plus some nifty terrain pieces, dice and templates. All this for roughly 45 dollars, not a bad deal really.

I played Warhammer 40K a few times many years ago (about 15 or so) and remember it as being a fairly fun game. I could not give you an in-depth review of how those rules compare to the current. I have read many reviews saying they have been made worse through each edition and an equal number that say they have improved. What I can tell you is that this basic book with the starting rulebook and scenarios sets the basics of the game out very clearly, at least to me. Each mission in the rulebook introduces a little bit more of the meat of the game to the player, very logically I might add. The first mission deals with movement of a single figure and firing of a single weapon. The second mission adds in movement of an entire squad but in addition to a lone figure but still only requires the firing of one weapon. The third mission includes multiple weapons but you still only have to worry about moving one or two units. The missions progress on in this fashion eventually including all the miniatures in the box. Additionally the website has more missions, some of which add elements that would require you to buy more miniatures but a few more that use just what is in the box.

To me this is a great way to introduce somebody to the Warhammer 40K world. I enjoy playing this game with my son (who is 10). Having said that, this game is not for everyone. The rules can be complicated if you really get into it and it can also be expensive. I enjoy it as an all around hobby cause I like the painting and the building and the playing. It also can take some time to set up and play and it requires a bit of space (4X4 ft is a good start). The other problem can be finding opponents. The nearest store for me that has an area and nights to play is about 30 miles away, so for the time being it is just my son and sometimes my daughter. Still I do not regret buying the game at all and am not afraid to recommend the game.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.