Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
flag msg tools
This week's podcast - Circus Flohcati, Pi Mal Pflaumen, and Pack O Games Set 2
Garten Zwerge eV with Jodi, Candy, Kim, and Chris

After our Oltremare trading extravaganza, Chris pulled another Essen release out of his bag and onto the table. This card game of gnome breeding struck me as one of the oddest releases of the past year, and though fun with this group and even though I won, I wasn't enthused enough to put it on my 'buy' list.

The object of the game is to breed a gold gnome, the top of the heap in the gnome hierarchy, but this only happens through lucky breeding of gnomes of lesser quality. There are five(?) different gnome colors and your options on a turn are to 1) go one of two tournaments (best quality gnome wins money), 2) offer a gnome for breeding, 3) request a gnome for breeding. For 2 & 3 blind bids are made as to how much either you want for your gnome or how much you're willing to pay. At the end of a round breeding happens based on the highest quality gnome in the pair. A card is drawn from that gnome color's corresponding stack. This could leave you with a gnome of lesser quality, a gnome of the same quality, or a gnome of higher quality. Maintenance on the gnomes you have in front of you costs $100 each round, so money is very important. Also, you can trade in 2 of a lesser type of gnome for 1 of the next level.
In this game I just got lucky, pulling a gold gnome (there's only one in the pile I drew from) on my second breeding chance at that level.
Was this fun? Yeah, I guess.
Is it a game I'd play again if asked? maybe.
Is it a game I'll buy? NO.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.