Subject: Delayed until November??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
according to the riograndegames newletter dated 5/5/08 it will be released June/July
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:
I heard from a local vendor that he heard that the expansion is delayed until November. Is there any truth to this rumor? If so, I'm going to boycott RGG until this expansion is released . . .

True or not, I don't see how a boycott will give Jay the right incentive to go ahead with production. If we all quit buying his games, I'd think it more likely he'd just get out of the business...

And I agree with the above poster, trust the RGG newsletter to be a more accurate source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not suggesting a mass boycott. I am just voting with my pocket book - three games I have been looking for have been delayed due to RGG - RTFG reprint, RTFG: TGS, and Galaxy Trucker reprint (first print run was extremely underproduced).

I understand that running a business is difficult. However, given a choice, I am not going to continue to patronize a business that provides bad service. Now there are a couple of ways RGG can provide better service:

1) They can be more conservative with their projected release dates. 3,4,5 delays is not acceptable.

2) They can acknowledge delays more appropriately. Changing a date on the website is not sufficient for a highly anticipated game. Perhaps a short blurb on the cause of the delay will help convince us that the new date will stick.

3) Reasonably sized print runs. I reserved the second copy of Galaxy Trucker from a local vendor who ordered a few of them. Guess how many were provided - one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:
I'm not suggesting a mass boycott. I am just voting with my pocket book - three games I have been looking for have been delayed due to RGG - RTFG reprint, RTFG: TGS, and Galaxy Trucker reprint (first print run was extremely underproduced).

I understand that running a business is difficult. However, given a choice, I am not going to continue to patronize a business that provides bad service. Now there are a couple of ways RGG can provide better service:

1) They can be more conservative with their projected release dates. 3,4,5 delays is not acceptable.

2) They can acknowledge delays more appropriately. Changing a date on the website is not sufficient for a highly anticipated game. Perhaps a short blurb on the cause of the delay will help convince us that the new date will stick.

3) Reasonably sized print runs. I reserved the second copy of Galaxy Trucker from a local vendor who ordered a few of them. Guess how many were provided - one.

If you boycott RGG because of delays you will never buy any of their games again. The number of games that have not had delays must be very small indeed.

I think that perhaps in the information age we definitely expect a lot out of these small companies. We often get upset if Valley Games doesn't post replies immediately in the BGG forums, or now if RGG doesn't keep up to date on its website. Days of Wonder seems to have the right approach in keeping tight-lipped in order to avoid disappointment (though the Memoir 44 bag has definitely broken that pattern).

Regarding the Galaxy Trucker print run, I'm pretty sure that RGG simply imported copies of the game - I don't know if they actually piggybacked on a print run like they usually do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how many people think that publishers don't want to sell them product. RGG doesn't make money unless you buy something from them, which they know you can't do unless it's available to you. So they have every incentive and no reason not to provide what you want. A boycott because something is late makes no sense on any level. If RGG had it, they'd sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a completely silly thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why does everyone interpret that I think there is bad intent on the part of RGG. Bad service is rarely by design (telecommunications may be the exception). My suggestions would not apply to someone who did not want to get the game out quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:

Yes, this is annoying. It would be nice if they had a pessimist to announce their projected release dates. However, it might be that whatever date they "announce", the actual release dates will be months after because they'll feel they have time. So an earlier release date will actually get it out faster.

Perhaps you should understand the inevitable delay and add 6 month to a release date, and then you won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alien Toy Shop
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigger issue than actual delays are lack of communication. This is what drives people up the wall.

Post something on your website. Tell people what's going on. Then they'd more accepting of the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:
I heard from a local vendor that he heard that the expansion is delayed until November. Is there any truth to this rumor? If so, I'm going to boycott RGG until this expansion is released . . .

I suspect your vendor is confused. The second expansion is rumored for a release late in the year, the first one has not had an announced delay for that long.

That having been said, I agree with most of the other posters that, while you can do what you like and what makes you feel good, RGG has not dealt in bad faith or had unreasonable projections and a boycott would be an overreaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are entitled to your opinion, but like I said - I am not accusing them of bad faith. I am accusing them of poor service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion, but like I said - I am not accusing them of bad faith. I am accusing them of poor service.

Why do I also expect that it would be "poor service" if

a) they didn't announce anything at all until release ("Why didn't they say they were coming out with this? How am I supposed to knwo what to spend my money on if I don't know what is going to be coming out?")

b) if they announced what was coming out but did not attach dates to it ("How can they just say 'coming soon'? How can I know what to buy if I don't know when games are coming out?")

It seems like the only thing that qualifies as "good service" is for them to announce on date fairly far in advance and then hit that date exactly. That is not reasonable given the vagaries of the game market.

I think that not needing to be the first person to have a particular game and being satisfied with playing all of the great games that are available until it's easy to acquire the latest and greatest is a far less stressful way to approach things instead of setting unrealistic standards for game publishers and making dubious assertiosn of "poor service" when they fail to meet them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JR: "I am accusing them of poor service."

That's not poor service.1) They don't serve me. 2) They often have no control over what 3rd party editors, artists, printers, etc. do. 3) They make every effort to meet their deadlines.

Now, if they were slovenly in trying to meet deadlines - that would be poor service.
If they gave me NO estimated target date - that would be poor service.
If they refused to fix problems (like missing bits, etc.) - that would be poor service.

I happen to be a publisher. This past year we missed a deadline terribly because one of our "outsourced" editors, in France, just simply did not do the job. Despite our calling, wrangling, emails, and iChats, she just over-promised and underproduced. Then, she took a holiday in Egypt while we waited! The project was huge and she was so far into it, that we would have been in a real mess if we jerked it from her - which we finally did - but she delayed in getting us the files. Things happen!

Presses break. Paper gets delayed. A printer gets backed up by problems with another job. You know the story I'm sure in your line of work. This is the real world.

Let it go! Big deal. This isn't what life is about. I would dearly love to have the extension. But guess what, I lived 69 years even without the game, and I think I could make it a few more months without its extension!

And - as one of the editors recently told me - "We want to get it right!" And so do I (want them to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend's mother's boyfriend's ex-girlfriend's uncle's college roommate looked up the release date on the RGG website and it still said June. The recent newsletter said June/July. Thoughthammer says June. There is no other indication of a change in the release date.

So, what we have here is a rumor of a release date change with no confirmation. I wouldn't worry about it unless you hear something from a more official source or it gets to late July... ^_^

I'm just glad people don't boycott the video game industry for missing release dates... we wouldn't have anyone to sell to!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can sympathize. It's always annoying waiting for something that's highly anticipated. I wouldn't use the term boycott, since that really doesn't seem to be what you're doing. Saying "The next game I'm buying is XXXX." is perfectly reasonable. It's a good way to budget too. (So long as the game isn't Unpublished Prototype...)

There's a number of games that appeal to me, but I'm not buying any until I get Gathering Storm, Galactic Emperor and Agricola. I plan to spend lots of time playing all those games and I have more than enough to tide me over in the meantime. That's not a boycott, I just have limited time and anything I buy this month will likely be pushed to the back of the shelf in favour of the new and shiny in June and July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:

Quote:

Define reasonable ? To most gamers, that means enough to last years so that they can hem and haw about whether to buy a game . Deciding print run size is not an exact science . If a company is too optimistic, it gets saddled with a lot of inventory that takes up space and money .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game publishing is, no doubt, a process susceptible to a lot of external circumstances, due in no small part to its limited volumes (and thus financial influence on said external factors).

What I care about most, at this juncture, is not cursing the beast for its nature, but an official statement of delay (or denial of such), in order to reorganize or not reorganize a large order through Thoughthammer, so I do not wait until November, for instance, for 80% of an order that I could have received in June.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowuulf1 wrote:

If you are going to boycott every publisher that moves the release date several times, you won't be buying many games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its great that almost everyone on this thread seems to be so understanding but come on! At least admit that it is bad service to continually delay a release date. I doubt a boycott would help but lets not pretend the publisher is just a victim. No body feels sorry for Microsoft when they delay a release. Like this example...

Frank Hamrick wrote:
Despite our calling, wrangling, emails, and iChats, she just over-promised and underproduced. Then, she took a holiday in Egypt while we waited! The project was huge and she was so far into it, that we would have been in a real mess if we jerked it from her - which we finally did - but she delayed in getting us the files. Things happen!

... the publisher got burned but I doubt they ever worked with that woman again. They probably tried to only work with reliable people from then on, thus exerting some control over future releases. IF (and thats a big if) there are publishers that always hit their release dates then it makes perfect sense to buy from them more often to get the others to fall in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Lewis
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Linguistic Cruth
mbmbmbmbmb
I, also, am boycotting this expansion until it is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Anderson
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My prediction is Christmas in July with this and Agricola arriving in my stocking from my Boulder Games pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't have much sympathy for whiners complaining about a game being delayed for a few months. cry cry cry

I am still waiting for UpFront 2000!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
I am boycotting this thread.

Oh, wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we delete this damn thread already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alien Toy Shop
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Can we delete this damn thread already?

Not until the game actually ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.