Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Thurn and Taxis, hereafter known as TuT, is a nice 2 player game.

Why? Because. See, when you play 2 player, you can steal Lodz. Or Sigamabooboo. You know, the dark green one. When I say steal, I mean you draw all of those cards so the other player can't get them. This allows you to get the outside-Baiern bonus, but doesn't allow them to get it. That's like 5 points they don't get, which is more than enough to win the game. Especially when they keep using the "wipe 6" guy which usually means they're losing every they use it for the most part.

I'm getting ahead of myself. TuT is a game where you draw cards and play them more efficiently than the other player. It's a 2-player game. With more than 2-players it kind of turns into a luck fest. Sure, it's sometimes a luck-fest with 2, but not quite as much so it's tolerable. The idea is that you draw cards and play them in efficient routes. You're supposedly running some ancient post office, but who cares, you're really placing these cool wooden houses in various regions you can barely pronounce correctly. The best way to do it is to not use the "wipe-6" action, and to almost always place every house in your route by placing in as many different regions as possible. When you do this, you have a good chance at winning.

The decisions in this game are not super deep, it's something you play to pass the time in a manner that is a little above just staring at the boob-tube. I say this as someone who has played a few times face to face and several hundred times online. Typically, you're drawing cards for 3 reasons: To build on what you're currently doing, to plan for the future, and to screw over your opponent. Of the 3, the last option is usually the most fun, especially when you see them use the "wipe-6" option immediately afterwards. This means they lose. Unless they luck out. Try not to lose as much as the other guy.

So in conclusion, TuT is a nice online game for 2 players. It plays quickly, under 10 minutes for sure, and is fairly brainless. If you're playing face to face, you might as well whip out Twilight Struggle or something that's really amazing. But it's not awful face to face, and really, playing it with 3 players isn't the end of the world and is probably a fairly satisfactory experience for most people who aren't too fussy.

This review inspired by Milwaukee's Best and Finlandia vodka.

P.S. Oh, I forgot to talk about stealing. Always steal cards that your opponent needs. Then use the ninja master skill of alliteration to call yourself something awesome like:
Pilsen Pilferer
Stuttgart Stealer
Lodz Larcenist
Budweis Bandit

I'm obviously just kidding about the last one. Who would ever steal Budweis? That area sucks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
ratpfink wrote:
So in conclusion, TuT is a nice online game for 2 players. It plays quickly, under 10 minutes for sure, and is fairly brainless. If you're playing face to face, you might as well whip out Twilight Struggle or something that's really amazing. But it's not awful face to face, and really, playing it with 3 players isn't the end of the world and is probably a fairly satisfactory experience for most people who aren't too fussy.

Lol, talk about 'damned by faint praise'! I've been thinking about getting TuT to play with my wife as a Ticket To Ride alternative, but this review makes me think there might be better choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
pastabatman wrote:
ratpfink wrote:

Lol, talk about 'damned by faint praise'! I've been thinking about getting TuT to play with my wife as a Ticket To Ride alternative, but this review makes me think there might be better choices.

Oh, Karl is reviewing the online version. It really is a very good 2p game, and quite acceptable with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
melissa wrote:
Oh, Karl is reviewing the online version. It really is a very good 2p game, and quite acceptable with 3 or 4.

That paragraph I quoted is mostly about 'face to face'. But it's good to hear from someone on the other side of the fence, at least for 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McGill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. My wife and I really enjoy this as a 2 player game.

It has a good amount of thinking / tactics / strategy and a spattering of luck without being over the top or vindictive or cut throat. Still we often end up with plenty of "damnit!" moments.

I also like it with 3 or 4 but we mostly play it with 2.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lowry
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TuT is a great game for 2, 3 or 4. My wife and I play it as well often as a 2'er but when friends come over, it makes a nice, easily explainable 3 or 4 person game. I would say there is a fair amount of strategy and a little luck involved based on when the cards flip over.

Overall, I think it's a great 2 player and fine for 3 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linn
msg tools
Quote:
you can steal Lodz. Or Sigamabooboo. You know, the dark green one. When I say steal, I mean you draw all of those cards so the other player can't get them. This allows you to get the outside-Baiern bonus, but doesn't allow them to get it. That's like 5 points they don't get, which is more than enough to win the game.

Are you mixing together what you want to say here?
There is no "outside-Baiern" bonus that involves Lodz.
The only time Lodz counts is when you go for the bonus of visiting all the territories.

Or are you referring to the Würtenberg/Hohenzollern bonus when you say "outside-Baiern" bonus?!

Am I misinterpreting you here or what do you actually mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there an "outside Baiern" in earlier editions instead of "All Provinces" bonus? Maybe he is referring to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
jedimusic wrote:
Wasn't there an "outside Baiern" in earlier editions instead of "All Provinces" bonus? Maybe he is referring to that.

Yes, this was the original rule (take from translation in files section):
Quote:
To take the Outside of Bavaria Tile (Ausserhalb Baiern), the player must have at least one Branch in every region outside of Baiern. The player may still take this tile if he or she also has one or more Branches in Baiern itself.

Essentially the same, just simplified, since somewhere along the way it's likely you'll pick up a Baiern town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.