Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Never trust the brute-force power of a computer network to do the job of a combinatorialist.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play this game for the first time at GameStorm in Vancouver WA earlier this year. I loved it, so I bought a copy on eBay. But I wasn't smart enough to make sure I got the same edition as what I played. blush

It's not really a big deal, though, as my plan all along was to create a US map version to play on. So, using the layout from the second edition, I translated the cities and paths to a US map. It looks good so far.

But when converting the Contract cards, I discovered my edition has two cities, Bozen and Mainz that aren't in the second edition. That means four of the 52 Contract cards in the first edition obviously were removed from the second edition.

So, I'm wondering... What exactly is the list of contracts in the second edition? If anyone has the second edition, would you mind posting the list of Contracts in that edition so I can compare against the first edition?

Here is a list of Contracts that are in the first edition:

Card # Start Finish Cargo Value
1 Stuttgart Berlin 3 2700
2 Rotterdam Berlin 4 3200
3 Koln Zurich 5 3500
4 Flensburg Mannheim 2 1800
5 Bern Graz 5 5000
6 Basel Hannover 3 2400
7 Stuttgart Hamburg 2 1800
8 Milano Hamburg 3 4200
9 Verona Frankfurt 2 1800
10 Linz Geneve 5 4500
11 Hamburg Salzburg 4 4400
12 Rotterdam Salzburg 2 2400
13 Linz Verona 6 4200
14 Verona Munchen 4 2000
15 Hannover Stuttgart 4 2800
16 Hamburg Frankfurt 5 3000
17 Salzburg Hannover 3 2700
18 Wien Trieste 6 3000
19 Geneve Graz 2 2400
20 Flensburg Stuttgart 3 3300
21 Hannover Munchen 3 2400
22 Mainz Hannover 5 2500
23 Hamburg Nurnberg 3 2400
24 Wien Basel 5 4000
25 Mannheim Bozen 4 2800
26 Saarbrucken Innsbruck 4 3200
27 Graz Bern 4 4000
28 Milano Wien 2 2000
29 Saarbrucken Nurnberg 6 4200
30 Munchen Milano 3 1800
31 Salzburg Rotterdam 4 4800
32 Kassel Verona 3 3300
33 Berlin Basel 3 3300
34 Geneve Wien 2 2200
35 Bruxelles Wien 2 2600
36 Graz Dortmund 3 3900
37 Zurich Bruxelles 4 3200
38 Bozen Kassel 3 2700
39 Berlin Trieste 3 3900
40 Innsbruck Mainz 4 2800
41 Berlin Bruxelles 3 3000
42 Trieste Geneve 3 2700
43 Wien Koln 3 3300
44 Frankfurt Flensburg 2 1600
45 Trieste Hamburg 2 3200
46 Bruxelles Flensburg 3 2700
47 Nurnberg Saarbrucken 5 3500
48 Frankfurt Linz 3 1800
49 Dortmund Milano 2 2200
50 Munchen Berlin 3 2100
51 Munchen Rotterdam 3 3300
52 Bern Berlin 4 4800

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify, by second edition do you mean the latest release, from 2007? There have been several different versions of the game. Some of the older edition version do not have Bozen and Mainz in them. I know my old copy of the game does not. The newest edition does not have these cities either.

I don't have Bozen or Mainz in either of my copies, but I don't have them on any contract cards either. Where did you get the "layout for the second edition" that you used to make your US map? If it was someone else's copy of the game, could you borrow their contract cards? If your first edition copy has these cities, can you redo your map to include them?

I've toyed with doing a US map version myself a number of times. I'd be interested in seeing how you saw the European map corresponding with US geography, as I've got an idea in my head how they correspond. It would be neat to see if we thought alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Never trust the brute-force power of a computer network to do the job of a combinatorialist.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry 'bout that. Yes, I mean the 2007 edition. That's the one I'm interested in.

I see what you mean about the different older versions (after looking at some of the photos here, I can see that some of the old boards have these cities, some don't).

I suppose I could have explained better what I meant about copying the layout. I didn't want to draw it free-hand from the board I had. So I downloaded this photo of the 2007 edition (not knowing at the time that it was different):
and load it as a background image in Microsoft Word.

Then I drew circles over all the cities and spaces, and used the connector lines for the roads. The connectors stay attached to the circles when you drag them, so it made it easy to keep the layout true while plotting it on a map. I put in a background image of USA, and dragged the cities and roads into position. I used a graphics editor (Xara Extreme) to tidy it up once I had the cities where I wanted them.

Here's what I've got so far:

I'd like to stick with the 2007 edition layout. So I need to know what the differences (if any) there are in the Contract cards. Any chance you can look at your 2007 edition version, and let me know what the differences are compared to the first edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very cool! We have an all day game day tomorrow so it will be a few days before I get a chance to respond. I'll send you a Geek mail the early part of next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does your set literally have card numbers, or did you just add them for reference? You have 52 cards, the 2007 version has 54.

I captured your list and added my (just newly arrived) 2007 cards to it in Excel. I sorted the combined list on Start and Finish cities and looked for items that did not have an exact match.

Twenty cards have no match in the opposite version: v1 has 9 that stand alone; v2 has 11.

Ver Start Finish Cargo Value
v1 Berlin Bruxelles 3 3000
v1 Bozen Kassel 3 2700
v1 Bruxelles Flensburg 3 2700
v2 Bruxelles Flensburg 4 2000
v2 Dresden Hannover 5 2500
v1 Flensburg Mannheim 2 1800
v2 Flensburg Saarbrucken 2 1800
v2 Innsbruck Dresden 4 2800
v1 Innsbruck Mainz 4 2800
v2 Leipzig Bruxelles 3 2100
v1 Mainz Hannover 5 2500
v1 Mannheim Bozen 4 2800
v2 Mannheim Rostock 4 3600
v2 Rostock Bruxelles 4 2800
v2 Rostock Kassel 3 1800
v1 Rotterdam Berlin 4 3200
v2 Rotterdam Leipzig 4 3600
v2 Rotterdam Rostock 5 2500
v1 Stuttgart Hamburg 2 1800
v2 Stuttgart Rostock 2 2200

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The numbers are just for reference.

Thanks a bunch for the updated info. I can now print out cards with US cities on them to match the 2007 version. When I get everything done, I'll post it all, in case you're interested in printing a USA map version.

thx again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your map again I notice a couple of things. First off, I see Bozen on there in the midwest. Do you want to keep it there? Second, you have Medford (OR) but not Portland (OR). It might make more sense to have Portland, since it's a bigger city. There might be a few others you would want to switch out. Finally, the event card spaces on the "real" map have the triangles oriented with the flat side down on the space, i.e. the point of the triangle faces north. I think it would look better if you switched that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also need arrows along the contract spaces to show which one is the "oldest" and can be discarded if a player chooses to do that on his/her turn when reaching a city by exact count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
Looking at your map again I notice a couple of things. First off, I see Bozen on there in the midwest. Do you want to keep it there? Second, you have Medford (OR) but not Portland (OR). It might make more sense to have Portland, since it's a bigger city. There might be a few others you would want to switch out.

Bozen (and Mainz) got left there by accident (they were placeholders while finalizing the city placements) and have been deleted.

I chose Medford because Portland is so far north, it kind of messed up the layout if I tried to put a city there. And I kind of like having a few obscure cities. I live in Kennewick, so I thought it worked nicely. But I suppose I could change that to Walla Walla or Spokane, which are probably more recognizable eastern Washingtion cities. Houghton, MI is probably the only other really obscure one, but again, it seriously messes up the layout if I try to put it somewhere else. I have two brothers who graduated from MTU (I'm a UM grad myself, and grew up in northern MI) so I'm perfectly OK with including Houghton. The rest were the most logical choices that arose after adjusting the roads to best fit the map.

Eventually, I'd like to design a complete stand-alone map, with routes and cities totally custom. But I think that'd take more work, since it's important to balance the different routes, number of goods being carried, and contract values- I don't have the time right now to figure out what that balance would be so I opted to keep the exact same layout as the original, just 'shifted' the cities around, and renamed them.

David Vander Ark wrote:
Finally, the event card spaces on the "real" map have the triangles oriented with the flat side down on the space, i.e. the point of the triangle faces north. I think it would look better if you switched that.

I didn't actually pay a lot of attention to that; it seemed natural for the symbol to be oriented as a standard yield sign. That might be an 'american' thing? I can easily flip them around.

David Vander Ark wrote:
You also need arrows along the contract spaces to show which one is the "oldest" and can be discarded if a player chooses to do that on his/her turn when reaching a city by exact count.

Good suggestion. I'll do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Twenty cards have no match in the opposite version: v1 has 9 that stand alone; v2 has 11.

Ver Start Finish Cargo Value
v2 Mannheim Rostock 4 3600
v2 Rotterdam Leipzig 4 3600

There are no v1 contract cards with a value of 3600, so I don't know what the bid structure is. Can you post the bid amounts for these cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 600
2. 1200
3. 1800
4. 2400
5. 3000

It's the same on both cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
No New York?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Korson
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
No New York?

Nope. Not a fan of New York. I especially despise the Yankees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.