Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
My project this week was in constructing a homemade version of Cheeky Monkey. I enjoyed playing this game but was really put off by the kind of ugly artwork on the chips (see first image). For a light press-your-luck sort of game I wanted something a little more cartoony.

Original tokens

I found some nice cartoony animals and looked for something to mount them on. I tried small wooden disks (1" diameter) but they were too small. I settled finally on using poker chips.

New tiles and chips

I printed the images on full page adhessive labels and my wife and I spent the evening cutting them out and applying them to the chips. They turned out really well and we had fun doing the little project.

All 52 chips

The one thing I'm not completely happy with is the scoring tiles. I pasted them on to illustation board and didn't do a very good job of lining things up. I ended up taking a black sharpie marker and coloring the sides in and any area that wasn't lined up very well. Next time I will do a large bleed over so that things line up better.

The scoring tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I didn't mind the original graphics, yours are way cooler! Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! The eyes! THE EYES!!! AAAAAAARGH!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work, I like yours better then the original. The poker chip stripes look very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you must be from a more recent generation than me. Cartoons for me were always cute and/or attractive. These big-eyed, weird-shaped cartoon characters you see nowadays, in my biased opinion, are UGLY and AWFUL!! Also, a bit on the scary/spooky side.

Just my opinion...

I do commend you on a nice job on the DIY!!! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be posting the graphics to the files section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
Will you be posting the graphics to the files section?

I'm going to make a few small changes first then I'll upload them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
cuzzle wrote:
For a light press-your-luck sort of game I wanted something a little more cartoony.

The first time I played this, it was with a prototype that Larry Whelan of Face2Face showed me and the tiles in that one did indeed feature cartoony graphics. However, he said the final product would use realistic images, because he wanted the game to double as an educational one, with facts about the animals included. Given the size of the educational children's game market, this was probably a smart decision, but I agree, the cartoony style fits the gameplay better and made it more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original animals were too naturalistic: it definitely needed goofier ones, and you found them! Nice job!

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Given the size of the educational children's game market, this was probably a smart decision, but I agree, the cartoony style fits the gameplay better and made it more fun.

I totally understand why they might make them 'educational' but it just wasn't for me. We played this at work today during lunch and it went over great. I am going to redesign the square tiles, but am very happy with how the chips turned out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi,

I'm very late to this, but I'm curious about the Cheeky Monkey components. I recently received the game and found out that the stickers must be placed on the tokens. I have enough stickers for 78 tokens. There are only 52 tokens. There are 8 different animals. I can't find a component list anywhere so I have no idea how many tokens of each animal. It makes no sense to me. There are no directions on placing the stickers on the tokens. I guess the amount on the tiles are supposed to match the amount of tokens? And just tons of extra stickers? Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.