Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
There have been several discussions, often centered on individual cards, on whether the influence of your initial hand of cards is strong to practically determine the winner. As I've stated in most of those discussions, my stance is No, it ain't, but I'd prefer to spare you (and myself) another rehash of my arguments.

Rather I'd like to ask for your help in getting to the root of this misconception, since I have a hunch that it can be avoided by not using all cards right from the start. There is some anecdotal corraboration for that hunch, but I'm definitely running the risk of only reading what I want to read, and so I'd like some more data. Cold, hard data, preferrably.

So if you'd like to sate my curiosity, please answer the following set of short questions. Again, the hypothesis your answers will prove or crush is: if you restrict yourself to the E deck for your first few games of Agricola, you'll have more fun than if you don't.

1a) In your first three (or less) games of Agricola, which card decks did you play with? If you've only played once or twice, please state that along with your answer.
1b) How would/did you rate the game after these first games?
1c) How would you gauge the influence of the cards on winning after these first games:
none - pure game of skill
weak - only significant between players of very even skill
middling - about as significant as skill
strong - can only be evened out by great differences in skill

Optionally, you can also answer this second set:
2a) What's your current total number of plays?
2b) What's your current rating for Agricola?
2c) How do you gauge the card influence now?

I'll be the first to answer myself to make this thread look a little livelier and will have a first look at the results (if any) next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for participating!

Maik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
1a) E deck
1b) 9
1c) weak

2a) 59
2b) 10
2c) weak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) E deck first 1 game, then family game x2
1b) high - 9
1c) we decided that they actually made our scores go backwards! So weak, I guess.

2a) 23 or so
2b) 10
2c) weak

I do recognise that there is a very small possibility of a killer combo of cards, but my experience is that in most if not all cases the other players should be able to play against that combo. (eg by denying grain to that user)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
1a E & I
1b 9
1c Middling

2a 10
2b 9.4
2c Weak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
1a. E deck
1b. 9
1c. weak

2a. 80 or so
2b. 10
2c. weak

a player, can actually hurt themselves greatly trying to make situations where their cards are more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
1a: E, I and K
1b. 9
1c. Middling

2a: 20 or so
2b: 9.8
2c: Weak

Quote:
the players, can actually hurt themselves greatly trying to make situations where their cards are more useful.

I completly agree with this opinion. Is a normal situation that one player wastes several actions (and food) in order to use cards that seemed to be good (or that can actually be good). And doing this he/she forgets to use his/her familiars to collect goods, mayor improvements or whatever, and once the card is on the table is really too late to generate enough points for a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I shouldn't reply to this. Why? Look at the replies:

1a) None. only family game
1b) 10.
1c) Hypothetically, we figured "marginal".

2a) 13
2b) 10
2c) No idea… still playing the family game as I'm mostly playing with new people all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) Don't really know - imo only E.
1b) high - 8
1c) middling

2a) Well, this was my only play (this Monday, btw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a. E Deck
1b. 8
1c. middling

2a. 13 (2 x family game, 11 x E deck)
2b. 9
2c. weak

I've seen 2 extreme cards hands in about 25 games (my games played, and about the same number i supervised).
One IMO very weak hand in the very first game i played (not my hand).
One very strong hand in a game i wasn't in; the only game i've seen where the players used the K deck (only).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) K-deck
1b) 8
1c) Weak

2a) 7
2b) 8.5
2c) Middling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's next wednesday today but I answer anyway.

1a) All cards, ie E, I and K.
1b) 8 after game 1, upped to 9 after game 3.
1c) Middling.

2a) 5 (I've only had the game for 3.5 weeks).
2b) 9.
2c) Weak most of the time but middling from time to time whenever someone get (a) great combo(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) E deck.
1b) 8
1c) weak

2a) 6
2b) 9
2c) usually weak

As David Fair mentioned, often the key to winning is knowing when not to play your cards. It takes a fair bit of experience to know whether cards or card combos are worth it in the long run. There's a significant difference between "hey, look at all this ridiculous stuff I can do" and actually scoring points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers, and sorry for not having the time to comment earlier.

With ten answers so far, this is not yet transcending the obscure border between anecdotes and statistics, I feel. And so far, there's no vote for a strong card influence, which makes it somewhat hard to correlate any starting deck configuration with that stance.

Hopefully, some more data will trickle in over the weekend, otherwise I'll just have set up some shill accounts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) family game
1b) 10
1c) none

2a) 33
2b) 9.5
2c) weak. I still play mostly family game though. for newbies - always family game, found new people introduced to family game like agricola a whole lot more than when introduced to card game. with cards significantly better player will win by a lot bigger margin than in family game even with a supposedly weak hand - there's quite a bit of skill in using your cards effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.