David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A master thread for Card Dealing/Drafting Variants...

1. The Turn-the-Tide Variant
2. The Standard Card Draft
3. The Rochester Draft
4. The Shared Draft
5. The Discard 3 - Get 1 Variant (in the rules, under variants)

Others I have Heard Discussed/Seen Used

6. The X Game - Deal each player 3x cards of each type, x each from the three different decks. At the start of the game, they discard down to 7 of each.

7. The Decision Game - Deal each player N cards of each type, from all the decks in amounts that they choose for each deck (For example, if N is 10, I could take 3 from the E, 3 from the I, and 4 from the K). At the start of the game, they discard down to 7 of each.

I am sure others have tried or thought of other ideas. Please add them here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ヴェリ=ミッコアイヤラ
Finland
Sastamala
flag msg tools
Half-Shared draft

Deal three occupation and minor improvement cards to each player. Additionally, deal four occupation and minor improvement cards face up on the table. Place the occupation/improvement card decks next to face up cards on the table..

When taking occupation/minor improvement, player can either

1.play one card from his/her hand AND take one card(of a similar kind) from the table to his/her hand.

2.play one card straight from the table.

At the start of each round, refill the cards on the table to four cards. Additionally, turn the top cards from the occupation and minor improvement decks face up to help players to see upcoming cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Several times, we did a... don´t know how to call... lets say "dynamic draft"

At first, every player gets his 14 cards as usual.
In a 4-player-game, everybody gives "useless" 3 minor improvements and 3 occupations to his left player.
After that, you give only 2 of each category of cards (one can choose of all 14 cards)
Third draft, you give only 1 of each category of cards (again, one can choose of all 14 cards).
So at last, you give 3-2-1 cards to the left.

In a 5-player-game, we give 4-3-2-1.

We played it now in this style for a while, and its a good variety. But i like it also to play just with the cards i was dealt.

I am thinking of reversing (1-2-3 / 1-2-3-4) the procedure, but we didn´t tried this yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cataldo
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw-2-Choose-1 (over and over)

In the interest of being faster than a draft and less analysis-paralyzing than draw-10-choose-7 or public/shared cards, I've considered the following:

Starting with Occupations, draw 2 cards, choose one (other one just goes away). Keep doing this until you have 7. Then do the same with Minor Improvements.

PROS: Fast. Achieves primary goal of reducing the possibility of mismatched cards that are essentially useless together. All choices are relatively simple (cuts down AP compared to drafts or 10-choose-7, or in-game public/shared cards). Card remain private (reduces complexity/AP -- if you can, you should be considering how to stymie other players based on the cards you know are in their hands / public / shared.)

CONS: Entirely non-interactive with other players (compared to any Draft or public/shared cards.) Leads to more "broken combos" (if you are worried about those, but nearly any kind of selection increases this risk.) Possibly longer than 10-choose-7 without being much different/better, depending on players.

Similar to 10-choose-7, a fairly simple way to balance the power of player's cards without fundamentally changing the game (all your cards are still private, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Turn the Tide and discard 3 are in the rules for the Z-Man version.

One other idea is draft from a community pool (Occupations and Minor Improvements), and then refill (they work like the Major Improvements):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/336383

That was what I suggested. In that thread I believe is a link to the Texas Hold'Em variant, where players are dealt two cards face down, and the rest are community cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
I believe Turn the Tide and discard 3 are in the rules for the Z-Man version.

One other idea is draft from a community pool (Occupations and Minor Improvements), and then refill (they work like the Major Improvements):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/336383

That was what I suggested. In that thread I believe is a link to the Texas Hold'Em variant, where players are dealt two cards face down, and the rest are community cards.

I've been mulling over dealing normal 14 cards, then EACH round (at the beginning) each player draws 2 more minor improvements and 2 more occupations, then discards 2. Discarded cards go to a face up pile that can be played as from hand as discussed above.

PROS: Players can continually update their hand every round, seeing MANY different cards. Additionally, their cards are still secret from other players. Players can recover from a bad draw in the beginning.

CONS: Players see 30+ cards in a game, meaning that almost all strategies will be available to them at some point. This reduces the need to specialize around a strategy. IMO, this is compensated for the fact that players can get screwed on a first hand draw. Can also be mitigated by reducing the number of cards drafted per round to 1 of each type.

If, after drawing 20+ cards in a game, you can't find a few that REALLY help you, you probably aren't playing well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a variant "bid cards for position in first game round". since this includes a balance for bad cards i would also consider it a card dealing variant.

we draw from a set of cards that we think are balanced (a mix of all decks with very powerful and very weak cards removed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.