Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Rant: Thread Hijacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: smoke_break_for_sisyphus [+] hijacking [+] bacon [+] [View All]
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mb
Does it really matter what I write here?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
This reminds me of a story....
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about that episode of LOST last night?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a duck!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You vill take this thread to Cuba!
15 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are some people more evolved than others?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumb this comment if you disapprove of this thread. Stick it to the thread-posting man.

thumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Bacon!

How's want boots?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
Does it really matter what I write here?


Yes, if you don't introduce a topic, how can we hijack it?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone see the lady playing Bausack?

shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
You vill take this thread to Cuba!


I caught you makeing a spelling misteak.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me when there was that fad where everyone would make blank geeklists. They'd put titles like "Games where the French have an advantage" or "Games that aren't better when eating bacon". OK, I just made those up, but it was the basic concept of the null set and the setup being something potentially interesting where the punchline is literally nothing. This has a pretty nice visceral impact and actually is pretty funny maybe the first time it happens. The repetition bandwagon then started up and it simply became an annoyance. The unfortunate side effect is that the original list actually loses its impact due to the ones it inspired. It becomes self parody after the fact. Its almost like the way my son had seen so many riffs of Luke getting his hand cut off by Vader that when he finally saw Empire he thought the scene was a ripoff. The original just loses its vitality. Or people don't realize enough to acknowledge the original. In IMDB there's a series of memorable quotes and a section for related movies, where maybe a movie is referenced by another, or maybe a poster is seen from one of the lead actor's other movies. In the section of things inspired by Fight Club, there's someone who entered some movie I can't recall saying some line I can't recall, but they said the line was homage to Fight Club, where the line was "In Tyler we trust". Well, isn't it possible, and probably probable, that the writers of that line were actually taking their cue from "In Go We Trust" rather than a line in Fight Club? In all truth, I first saw Fight Club last month, and I really don't even remember that line, but the writers of whatever that second movie was should really be aware that not everyone saw Fight Club or memorized every little line. However, both draw from the same starting moment of "In God We Trust". I would say its a lack of knowledge, like the person who scrawled the lyrics to Hazy Shade Of Winter on a desk in college and attributed it to The Bangles or whoever it was that redid that, and it could be that they really were totally unaware of the fact that it was a cover, with the exception of the fact that the Bangles never wrote anything with such poetic lyrics and they should have known that. But I digress. The fact is that I'm pretty sure every American has seen the phrase "In God We Trust", but not every American has seen Fight Club. Pehaps that second movie was foreign, and maybe not seeing the phrase on their money every day made it more pertinent to Fight Club. I prefer to think it was the person who made the entry to IMDB and not the original writer's of that second movie are the ones who were sourcing the wrong inspiration. Which is almost like when a thread gets started and it just kind of clicks something in someone's memory and they go off in some oddball direction under who knows what inspiration. Samuel T Coleridge was once asked to explain a line from one of his poems. He read it, and said "At the time I wrote this, it was very personal to the moment. Only God and I knew the meaning. Now only God knows". Or something like that, its been a while since I taught that stuff. But sometimes thread hijacks are a sudden outpouring of a thought thats been lying dormant and then suddenly kicks in without noticable inspiration, and a thread that started out about cheddar cheese catches the ear of the public and ends up really being about brie.
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
How about that episode of LOST last night?


It was great.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to direct your attention to this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/312005

...and this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31354
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like to direct your attention to this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/312292
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

I'd like to direct your attention to this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/312292


I knew that was soon to follow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
How about that episode of LOST last night?


Lost was on last night?! Oh crap! I missed that and The Office!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
This reminds me of a story....


Hey! Is that remark directed at me?

If it isn't, then you haven't been paying attention.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
This reminds me when there was that fad where everyone would make blank geeklists. They'd put titles like "Games where the French have an advantage" or "Games that aren't better when eating bacon". OK, I just made those up, but it was the basic concept of the null set and the setup being something potentially interesting where the punchline is literally nothing. This has a pretty nice visceral impact and actually is pretty funny maybe the first time it happens. The repetition bandwagon then started up and it simply became an annoyance. The unfortunate side effect is that the original list actually loses its impact due to the ones it inspired. It becomes self parody after the fact. Its almost like the way my son had seen so many riffs of Luke getting his hand cut off by Vader that when he finally saw Empire he thought the scene was a ripoff. The original just loses its vitality. Or people don't realize enough to acknowledge the original. In IMDB there's a series of memorable quotes and a section for related movies, where maybe a movie is referenced by another, or maybe a poster is seen from one of the lead actor's other movies. In the section of things inspired by Fight Club, there's someone who entered some movie I can't recall saying some line I can't recall, but they said the line was homage to Fight Club, where the line was "In Tyler we trust". Well, isn't it possible, and probably probable, that the writers of that line were actually taking their cue from "In Go We Trust" rather than a line in Fight Club? In all truth, I first saw Fight Club last month, and I really don't even remember that line, but the writers of whatever that second movie was should really be aware that not everyone saw Fight Club or memorized every little line. However, both draw from the same starting moment of "In God We Trust". I would say its a lack of knowledge, like the person who scrawled the lyrics to Hazy Shade Of Winter on a desk in college and attributed it to The Bangles or whoever it was that redid that, and it could be that they really were totally unaware of the fact that it was a cover, with the exception of the fact that the Bangles never wrote anything with such poetic lyrics and they should have known that. But I digress. The fact is that I'm pretty sure every American has seen the phrase "In God We Trust", but not every American has seen Fight Club. Pehaps that second movie was foreign, and maybe not seeing the phrase on their money every day made it more pertinent to Fight Club. I prefer to think it was the person who made the entry to IMDB and not the original writer's of that second movie are the ones who were sourcing the wrong inspiration. Which is almost like when a thread gets started and it just kind of clicks something in someone's memory and they go off in some oddball direction under who knows what inspiration. Samuel T Coleridge was once asked to explain a line from one of his poems. He read it, and said "At the time I wrote this, it was very personal to the moment. Only God and I knew the meaning. Now only God knows". Or something like that, its been a while since I taught that stuff. But sometimes thread hijacks are a sudden outpouring of a thought thats been lying dormant and then suddenly kicks in without noticable inspiration, and a thread that started out about cheddar cheese catches the ear of the public and ends up really being about brie.


I read this whole thing.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
....


I read this whole thing.


Cool. I wrote the whole thing.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:

I read this whole thing.


Sounds like you need some Alka Seltzer...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul, entertaining post! Mind if I ask you a serious question about it?

Geosphere wrote:
Its almost like the way my son had seen so many riffs of Luke getting his hand cut off by Vader that when he finally saw Empire he thought the scene was a ripoff.


What the heck are you talking about here?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Male Silk Tide
Mexico
Nezahualcoyotl
Estado de Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
You vill take this thread to Cuba!


Well, I'm going to Cuba next week, so I can do it for you.

H
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Hey Paul, entertaining post! Mind if I ask you a serious question about it?

Geosphere wrote:
Its almost like the way my son had seen so many riffs of Luke getting his hand cut off by Vader that when he finally saw Empire he thought the scene was a ripoff.


What the heck are you talking about here?


Cartoons. He's seen tons of cartoons riff the hand cut and "I am your father" that when he saw the original, he thought it was a bad joke reference to all the stuff he watches on Nick.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Cartoons. He's seen tons of cartoons riff the hand cut and "I am your father" that when he saw the original, he thought it was a bad joke reference to all the stuff he watches on Nick.


How old is your son?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.