Subject: American Civil War Recommendation: the next step rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aniquilación Emocional
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, folks

I´m looking for a new ACW wargame to add to my wargame collection. Considering I currently own Phalanx´s "A House Divided", and that I´ve played Combat Commander (f2f)and solo-ed ASL Starter Kit #1 (so you can have and idea of the complexity levels I can handle), what could be in your opinion the next step in ACW wargaming?
I´ve considering "Badges of Gettysburg" (Columbia) in the operational side, and the soon-to-be-print (at least it was the last time I checked MMP website, months ago) "Crucible of Courage" in the tactical one.

Any other suggestions? Time length should be 3-5 hours-

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamer's line through MMP has a great selection of battles if you are a fan of gaming individual battles. CWBS does a great job of simulating the problems and tactics of the battlefield, the rules are not too complicated, fits in your timeline, are in print and are not expensive. The game from MMP you mentioned could be as much as a year away so I don't think you would want to hold out that long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
American Civil War Recommendation: the next step

Whew! From the title alone, I thought this was a post on recommendations on starting the next American civil war and what steps we needed to take to do it. For a moment, I was really frightened! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aniquilación Emocional
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing further from my humble initial intention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw the title and I was thinking of something else and I was going to suggest, "Free the slaves and then fire on Fort Sumter".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat already recc'd the CWBS. I would say Glory III from GMT. It covers Antietam and Cedar Creek. The other two in the series (if you can find them) cover 1st & 2nd Bull Run, Chickamauga, Fredricksburg & Chancellorsville. I've really enjoyed the series. The only thing that I don't like is you can't get leader casualties in Glory where you can in CWBS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW).

Grant Takes Command
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your idea of Columbia's Badges of Courage is a good one. I think its very good and somewhat underrated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a new game that looks pretty interesting called Baptism at Bull Run.

I is only available for play through Cyberboard. I've played it a few times as a playtester, and it has really taken ahold of me. The tactical predicaments, as well as the overall strategic plans you must have a unique for each side, and challenging for each as well.

If you've played Bonaparte at Marengo, and/ or, Napoleon's Triumph, you'll surely enjoy this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i think 'forged in fire' is a good one as well as 'bobby lee' but i didn't like 'badges of gettysburg' well enough to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Price of Freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.