Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Thornton
United States
Wentzville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone found ship miniatures that we can substitute on the map? Even if it's just the 3 types of pirate ships they would be fun to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm highly interested in this as well... they can't be too big or the map won't support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenK wrote:
Has anyone found ship miniatures that we can substitute on the map? Even if it's just the 3 types of pirate ships they would be fun to use.

I'm still waiting for my copy ... how big can the ships be (in/cm)? I take it the PotSM ships are too big?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use the ships from Day's of Wonder's Pirate's Cove game. There are five different coloured ships and two black ones that would work of the KC's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a few packs of Pirates of the Spanish Main or one of the numerous expansions. They are pretty cheap and will fit.

Pirates of the Spanish Main

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
yup they work fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got access to a copy of Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame that somebody didn't like, it's got four types of ships: Ancient, Medieval, Gunpowder, and Modern fleets.
See this image.

It would be somewaht ominous (if you don't mind the anachronism) to have the Modern fleets (battleships) play the KCs.

All ships come in tan, and have large enough sails to letter on the ship stats, if that's your thing (and times being what they are). They're pretty detailed little minis, too.

If you really wanted to get crazy with the cheese whiz, you could paint 'em up nice.

(on the other hand, those PotSM ships look pretty good to me. A little chintzy, but better than chits.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
yup they work fine.

How come those images aren't in the database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II has nice ship minis, but only one type in many colors. I may get some PoSM packs and see... Is the game worth playing? (while my copy of Blackbeard arrives )

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
TGov wrote:
yup they work fine.

How come those images aren't in the database?

I just put them in my gallery since they are a bit blurry. I have had a huge rash of images declined lately and decided not to mess with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
I may get some PoSM packs and see... Is the game worth playing? (while my copy of Blackbeard arrives )

-Jorge

TBH I have never even played the game...lol I just like building the ships and such. After reading the rules the game would be fun the first few times but I think it would lose its luster after that. YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Silvestri
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can gather you would need 39 ships for a 5 player game.
10 sloops, 10 brigs, 10 schooners and 9 KC's

You could probably trim this down to 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a few packs and now I have 10 ships in a variety of sizes. I think it will be enough for 2 player games... Still waiting for Blackbeard though... In the meantime I'll try PoSM with its rules. Seems to be a fairly simple minis game, and one my bigger son might enjoy (he does love the ship minis )

I think I'll be using the Viktory II ships for merchant ships. I like the option to put the plastic ship instead of the counter and when needed draw a counter out of a cup...

Edit: I also ended up with two monsters... any ideas for those?

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd add to the list of options here. The ships from Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery might make good stand-ins for the merchant vessels. They come in brown only and can be ordered individually from the Eagle Games web site (look in the components section).

And the merchant pieces from that game might make good Governors (it is the first piece to the right of the ship in the picture below). They come in 5 colors and can also be ordered from the Eagle Games web site.

Too bad we can't have the sculpts from the (now defunct) Age of Piracy game - those would've been great.

:edited to correct spelling of 'governors'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sfeery wrote:
They come in 5 colors and can also be ordered from the Eagle Games web site.

I wish I could use Paypal to order from them. I have a small balance that would work well in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.