Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one is better and why? What are the differences between them?

Please recommend either SOC the Board game with expansions or SOC card game with expansions. I understand that the "artists & benefactors" expansion for the SOC card game has not been released in the US by Mayfair.

Of all the SOC expansions & spinoffs for the board game version, which ones are compatible (besides SOC base, SOC Knights, & SOC Seafarers?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SOC Card Game: 2 players only

SOC Board Game: 3-6 players

So it really all depends on how many you're going to have playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SOC Card is a for two players. I also find that it is a rather deeper game then Catan the board game. There is more you can do with the cards and the way you play them that makes the game more involved. This increases as you add more of the expansions to the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to be playing mostly two player get the card game.

I have both and have played each 50 times easily. I really like the card game. Just make sure you get the expansion set too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game has so much going for it. There are so many options and the expansions work quite well. It seems more complete somehow to me, almost as if it is part of a complete world.

The board game is fun, but I find that it starts to lose something after about 30-40 plays.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related subject, I find that Starship Catan to be better than Catan Card Game. I need the constant refreshing of the card decks to keep the game interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you're looking for:

The card game is a very strategic, fairly deep card game for 2 players. It's certainly a more thought provoking game, but.........

The board game is a more FUN game for 3-5 players.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
jcikal wrote:
Which one is better and why? What are the differences between them?

The first reply nailed it; number of players is what really separates these.

That said, both are Top Shelf games for me, and I have played each tens of times.

I find the board game very strategic. At least half of the skill in the game is in assessing the layout and choosing the right spots in which to place your initial settlements; the rest of the game is largely playing it out to see how well your plan was. The tactical resource management and trading decisions throughout are still interesting.

I find the card game very tactical. Sure, the cards you get put you on a path (e.g., if I get a Scout and either a Wheat or Ore doubler in the opening deck, I will likely be building a lot of cities). But the key decisions are in managing your resources and cards-in-hand throughout the game: when and how to trade resources; when to spend resources to fish for a card; when to memorize a certain seen card; etc.

The board game is all about *how* you are going to get your 10 VPs. In some cases, there is an easy path to 8 or 9, but then you get stuck. You need to have a plan. In the card game, there is always a way to get more VPs, so it's mainly about finding strategic and tactical ways to make your resource usage more efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there is an unusual selection bias in the responses to this question. The card game has 4982 plays logged on the geek, and is ranked 197th. The board game has 33407 plays logged, and is ranked 32nd. Yes, the number of players should be a factor in your decision. But you should also consider the fact that the board game is BETTER. If you want a two-player card game, get Race for the Galaxy, which is also BETTER than SoC card game, and can be played with 3 or 4 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I'd always go with the game that the system was designed for first.

In this case, the card game is an absraction/variant on the board game, so go with the original.

The only exception to this I can think of is the Blue Moon City boardgame is superior IMO to the original card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In a very rough way, I'd compare the card game to playing Settlers with both Cities and Knights and Seafarers added -- there's that broad variety of options for your own building, for smiting, and for clever strategies. It's also more complex in that sense.

But as most people have said -- it's all about the number of players, in the end. If you want to play 3, the card game just won't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I played the card game once, a long time ago, and didn't like it.

To me, the heart of the board game is the trading. Sure, there's other things going on, but they would all be pretty uninteresting without the trading.

The card game captures that part of the game very little, if at all. (I think I remember that there was an option to trade, but with 2 players, it almost never actually happened.) The other, non-trading parts of the card game are probably more interesting than the non-trading parts of the board game, but really the games are pretty incomparable because one is a game that is fundamentally about trading and the other is a game that is fundamentally about the other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.