Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ASLSK1 rulebook is sparse details on how to handle reinforcements. AFAIK, it only mentions that they setup off-board during the RPh.

Here are some questions I had and the assumptions I made while playing.

When do reinforcements get placed on the board?

The thing that made the most sense to me was anytime during the MPh. They expend MF for whatever edge hex they enter on and move normally thereafter.

Can the reinforcements designated to enter on a particular edge do so separately or must they enter on the same hex?

I assumed they could enter the field of play separately, anywhere defined by the scenario as their entrance area.

Are these correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are set up off board in the RPh. (In full ASL, you place an unused mapboard next to the one being played on, and the units are set up in hexes. All the hexes on this random board are considered open, unless they are half-hexes shared with the main board that contain terrain). The reinforcements can enter during the MPh, however, they can also choose to come on during the APh. If they are designated to enter on a particular edge, they need not all enter on the same hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember, reinforcements are setup at the beginning of the Rally Phase.

That means BEFORE the Wind Change DR.

Just felt like being technical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

That means BEFORE the Wind Change DR.

Wind is NA in ASLSK. But the point is still important - setting up reinforcements is the very first thing you do on your player turn. You can't wait until you see the results of Prep Fire and then set up your reinforcements ready to rush through the gap during the MPh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so setup means to actually place them in a specific hex on that imaginary board just off the edge of the real board? And when they enter the real board it must be on one of the two adjacent hexes they setup next to?

If I choose to wait until the APh to move the reinforcements onto the board, can the defender attack them during the DFPh? If so, are they considered to be in open ground? Also, in S1, the American reinforcements come from the north edge which is row V, so during setup I would place them in any row W hex? Do they get the TEM of the row W hex or is that also supposed to be just open ground?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:

If I choose to wait until the APh to move the reinforcements onto the board, can the defender attack them during the DFPh? If so, are they considered to be in open ground? Also, in S1, the American reinforcements come from the north edge which is row V, so during setup I would place them in any row W hex? Do they get the TEM of the row W hex or is that also supposed to be just open ground?

The offboard units cannot interact with onboard units in any way. They cannot be shot at, they cannot shoot, they cannot throw smoke before they come on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is exactly what I was looking for. However, I could use clarification on one small thing.

When the new pieces actually arrive, are they allowed to use their full MF? Also, The step from off-board to on-board, does that cost any MF?

For example: In the first scenario in SK1, the Americans arrive on the north edge of the board. Row V is the northernmost row that is used. I would set the reinforcements up somewhere in row W correct? This would happen during the Rally Phase? Assuming this is correct, when it is time for them to move in either the Movement Phase, or the Assault Movement Phase, would it cost them MF to move from where they are on Row W offboard, to Row V onboard?

I just started playing this yesterday 6-05-08, and this is the first thing I found that was unclear from the rulebook. I am sure there will be more questions as I move along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooky wrote:

When the new pieces actually arrive, are they allowed to use their full MF? Also, The step from off-board to on-board, does that cost any MF?

Yes and yes.

Jooky wrote:

For example: In the first scenario in SK1, the Americans arrive on the north edge of the board. Row V is the northernmost row that is used. I would set the reinforcements up somewhere in row W correct?

Yes.
Jooky wrote:
This would happen during the Rally Phase?

Yes, it would be the very first thing that you would do.

Jooky wrote:
Assuming this is correct, when it is time for them to move in either the Movement Phase, or the Assault Movement Phase, would it cost them MF to move from where they are on Row W offboard, to Row V onboard?

Yes, it costs MF during the movement phase. If they move during the Advance Phase, it does not cost MF, however, the unit can only move one hex, and if it advances into a hex that would require all its MF, it must become CX.

Jooky wrote:
I am sure there will be more questions as I move along!

I'm sure there will be too. Don't hesitate to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooky
United States
Canton
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon,

Thank you for the super fast reply. Are you some kind of ASL rules junkie that just hangs out here waiting to pounce on any new questions posted? I really hope you are!!

Seriously though, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.