Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about you guys but I dislike the monster sculpts for the most part for this game. Conversely, I can think of a number of DDM sculpts that rock and could cross-over without much trouble. I've seen the threads on WoW sculpts but they don't compare to some more archetypal looking figs in the DDM line, for my money at least.

Questions are: Can anyone give me a short list of roughly how many of each monster a guy would need for actual play. Spawning could bump up the quota easily it seems, but just roughly, how many of each would you need to run the RtL campaigns. I won't be anal about subbing another fig in an extreme event, so just a ballpark number would be fine.

Thanks,

robbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The first number = normal monsters (white minis in the original game)
The second number = master monsters (red minis in the original game)

Beastmen 6 + 3
Skeletons 6 + 3
Spiders 6 + 3
Bats 4 + 2
Hell Hounds 4 + 2
Sorcerers 4 + 2
Ogres 2 + 1
Manticores 2 + 1
Nagas 2 + 1
Giants 1 + 1
Dragons 1 + 1
Demons 1 + 1

Kobolds 12 + 6
Ferrox 4 + 2
Golems 2 + 1

Apes 4 + 2
Dark Priests 4 + 2
Deep Elves 2 + 1
Trolls 2 + 1
Chaos Beasts 2 + 1

(total: 108 minis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks on that Luke. Seems reasonable. Next I need to figure which figs might best (and most cost effectively) swap over.

robbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDM?

Dungeon and Dragon miniatures?

Oh and I've begun to paint the Descent figures and they are much better than they might first appear. A lot of detail comes to life once they are painted. But maybe that's not your cup of tea. And you can see some examples of painted figs here and decide whether you like them or not. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powell
msg tools
Wow. I've never heard anybody complain about the Descent minis before. Most people, including myself, seem to think they're actually remarkably high quality. Their only real shortcoming is that they're unpainted.

But, whatever floats your boat. If you want to replace them with alternate figures, that works too. You're probably gonna have trouble with the Hellhounds and Blood Apes, though, due to their unique two-space profile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the monsters were good, but some of the hero miniatures I was unimpressed with, such as Landrec, but that may be partially due to the position he is in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you guys might be right. I took a better look at some of the painted figs and they definitely do improve with color. Not so bad sculpts after all.

Anyone want to trade games for a painted set of monsters? They don't have to be too detailed either. My heroes are set.

robbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Powell
msg tools
You know, if you put that high a priority on having the figures pop, visually, you could probably do some super-simple paintjobs. Spray the whole thing black and then drybrush the whole thing with another color. That alone is enough to give it a lot of depth.

Personally, I'd be happy to play the game with cardboard stand-ups to mark the heroes and monsters, so I see no basis to complain. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott christofersen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
herufeanor wrote:
If you want to replace them with alternate figures, that works too. You're probably gonna have trouble with the Hellhounds and Blood Apes, though, due to their unique two-space profile.

khorn dogs are pretty good for the hellhounds, and now there is even a unique for the master in the new chaos line for warhammer. Blood Apes might be a bit trickier but I have not worried about it, perhaps that will change when my AoD gets here next week. :laugh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.