Subject: How does it play with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Stromberg
Denmark
Bagsvaerd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanting to further introduce the world of gaming to my two children, I wonder what the feeling around this forum is regarding playing the game with 3 players. (The children are 11 and 14 years old)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 players one player takes Prussia, one Austria (and the Imperials) and the third takes France and Russia (and Sweden).

Prussia is a complex and demanding role which you would probably want to start with playing yourself. The other two roles should be ok, so long as the French/Russian player can get used to playing on opposite sides of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is a great three player game. Yes, you should play Prussia/Hanover. And your kids will try to beat you by working together, against the original idea of the game, but your experience game-playing should make the game close, even with their strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In some ways, when first experiencing this game, playing with 3 has some advantages over 4. The France player experiences considerable downtime, and before everyone understands the subtleties of the strategies and is engaged by the various tradeoffs, this can be off-putting for that player. Playing Russia/Sweden/France keeps this player as busy as the others. As well, I think it helps everyone learn the game more quickly, as the France advance tends to be ponderous due to having only 3 armies and 3 cards (vs. the Hannover 2, plus whatever the Prussians eventually throw at them) and the fact their objectives are pretty much in two straight lines which join together into one--there is not as much option for clever maneuvering by France as by the other powers.

What will be lost with experienced players is this tends to tilt the game quite a bit against Prussia, since the idea is all the anti-Prussia coalition are supposed to be trying to win their own victory. Suit sector analysis, for example, is key, you do not want to be the first ally to go up against Prussia in a given suit, you want to attack in that suit after Prussia's hand in that suit has been bled by one of your allies! And France benefits here by going last. So the France game is quite a bit differnet from anyone else's, which is well brought out in the 4-player game. And once again, I have to say kudos to the Designer for bringing out the historical feel of these various powers with such an elegant and what would seem quite abstract design!

So, it will be great for you and your sons learn the game (and perhaps even the history!) playing 3-player. Then, bring in another fellow to play against you and 'mere' children...heh heh heh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Stromberg
Denmark
Bagsvaerd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Friedrich will be the game for the summer holidays. Perhaps I will experience that, as it was said, "mere" children will give dad a royal preussian beating :-)

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.