Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On another post, someone suggested Race for the Galaxy as being superior than SOC card game.

Which is a better game and why?

When comparing, please compare with the SOC expansions added as opposed to the base game.

Thanx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In my opinion, Race is a superior game to SCG in nearly every way:

1) You can play 3 games of Race in the time it takes you to play 1 game of SCG.
2) Race is a much cleaner design, from both a rules and "fiddlyness" perspective.
3) Race scales perfectly from 2-4 (soon to be 5) players, SCG is a 2-player game by design.
4) Race does not have a memory element.
5) Race has more paths to victory than SCG, all of them viable.

I do like SCG, having played about 10+ times. But I've played Race 120+ times and I still find the game very enjoyable.

Take care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What he said.

As for the expansions to SOC, they potentially prolong an already long game and I think they mostly add flavor and variety rather than dramatically changing game play. (This from someone who has never used the expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if Race is better, though I do prefer it to the Settlers card game. They're really very different, in my opinion.

SoC is a fairly long game for a card game (plan for well over an hour) in which you slowly gather resources and build your villages. Resource gathering is done through die rolls and you need specific resources to build each building, road, village, etc. The expansions add different twists, and they do increase the variety offered by the game. In my experience, they can also make it longer. It's a decent enough game, but I find it too long for what it offers. Plus, it also only supports 2 players.

Race is much quicker, playable in a half hour or less once you get comfortable with it. There's only a single resource (cards) which are used for multiple purposes. There are multiple paths to victory that feel very different, while in SoC it's all about gathering lots of resources to build lots of stuff more quickly than your opponent (though there are a few ways to approach gathering those resources). Race has a steeper learning curve, partly due to its heavy use of icons and part due to the huge number of card interactions to be discovered. Race also supports 2-4 players, going up to 5 once the first expansion comes out (and up to 6 with the one after that).

I see the SoC card game as a leisurely game in which you slowly build your villages up and occasionally get to screw over your opponent by stealing cards or destroying their buildings. Race, in contrast, feels like a real race - you gotta do what you need to do very quickly if you want to win, and there's not much interaction between players beyond trying to figure out what roles they plan to choose so you can maximize your own actions while minimizing theirs.

This is a very superficial comparison, but they don't really lend themselves to a deeper one thanks to their dissimilar gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Jeffk's summary is a good one.

What makes RftG most interesting to me is the lack of control over what cards I see and the subsequent tough decisions I have to make in card selection and card management. While the types of things you can do is more varied, the resource management is pretty one-dimensional (as Jeff said, everything is a "card"). Also, I'm not crazy about the arc of the game and find the draws frustrating at times, so the game just gets a Thumbs Up for me; after a dozen plays, I could take or leave it.

What makes SoCCG most interesting to me is the interesting choices I have to make in managing the different combinations of resources, as well as cards-in-hand (the latter being the one element that the two games arguably have in common). I like the leisurely pace, but then again I also enjoy Age of Empires CCG which has a similar resource management subsystem but takes hours to play out, so I understand it's a minority opinion. SoCCG is still Top Shelf for me after ~80 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
bfchooch wrote:

1) You can play 3 games of Race in the time it takes you to play 1 game of SCG.
2) Race is a much cleaner design, from both a rules and "fiddlyness" perspective.
4) Race does not have a memory element.

I take it you prefer Tic-Tac-Toe over RftG, as it beats it out in 3 of your 5 criteria.

(Race does have a minor memory element, both in what cards you have seen and in what past actions your opponents have taken (i.e., are the seven cards in their hand random, or did they Explore +5 for one of them since the last Develop/Settle phase).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dave wrote:
I take it you prefer Tic-Tac-Toe over RftG, as it beats it out in 3 of your 5 criteria.

Hah! I spose I should have added something about two games having a similar amount of depth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Settlers Card Game, and I'd say I would usually prefer a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. Those criteria still stand. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RftG will make you go blind and your head will explode trying to decipher the alien iconography.

Go for San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first full game of The Settlers card game took 1 hour. I could see getting it down to 45 minutes. I like them both, they are both excellent, and both worth owning.

Settlers has more direct player interaction, and more of a sense of development I think. Race is more varied and streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Steen
United States
North Haledon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started playing Race in the last month and I LOVE it. Quickly becoming a favorite.

I have played Settlers Card Game for many years, and every time I play, I remember how much I love it.

So I have to go with both. I can say that Race is a "better" game in the way the mechanics work, the depth for the playing time, and other reasons given above. But I can't really call it's whole experience "better" because I find them both very satisfying to play.

Thinking about them both as 2 player games against my wife...Race is fun and quick, with little (direct) interaction until the end when we find out who's strategy worked out best. So I love the mechanics and strategy but as an interactive experience it is not so much. Settlers on the other hand has some VP that you earn by taking them away, and has some options to be really nasty. It feels like a real battle...which is usually a good thing! With the expansions, it was a lot of fun once to play with my brother with tournament rules, where we each got to build our own deck. That put Magic to mind (though I've never played it), which is interesting since many say that Race has that same feel.

Race is a great game, and I highly recommend it. The one thing it lacks, Settlers has. Both are fun to play, can be addicting, and should last for years as "wife games."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
RftG will make you go blind and your head will explode trying to decipher the alien iconography.

Go for San Juan.
The same could be said trying to read tiny upside down print in games that don't use icons.

I prefer the icons. Even across the length of a long table, I can quickly scan your cards and tell what they can do. I've dabbled in various CCGs and have never been able to tell what the text on the cards said. When first learning magic, I didn't want to make any blunders so I would ask "what does this card do again? What does that card do?" After the 5th card of that, I've forgotten what the first card did and would have to ask again. Needless to say, people didn't want to play against me.

For the OP: They are both good games. I think I can only repeat what others have said. SoC - 2 player only, 60-90min playing time; RftG - 2-4 pl, 30-60min. I'd recommend getting both. If I had to pick one though, I'd go for race. I'd only suggest SoC over race if you enjoy the deck building of CCGs, but don't want to collect boosters. The tournament rules in the expansion set allow for this, but both players would need their own basic set and preferably their own expansion set as well. It's possible to share one, but sometimes you both want to use the same card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROTF RFTG has a much steeper learning curve than SOC. I have played ROTF RFTG twice, and I can hardly understand what I am doing and why. I ususally start to develop a marginally workable strategy half way through the game while the more experienced players quickly outpace me. I can see that ROTF RFTG is a wonderful game that is waiting for me to get up to speed with it.

SOC took me minutes to learn and understand, although I certainly did not master it. I enjoyed my first gaming experience, and I did not feel completely lost in the first 3/4 of the game like I did with ROTF RFTG .

I get the feeling that ROTF RFTG will have better replayability than SOC; however, I have so many games and gaming interests that I rarely play a game so many times that replayability becomes a problem.

Edited for rediklos spllng.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROTF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Rutecky
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I enjoy Race for the Galaxy, I also really enjoy Settlers card game. Ther latter does take a bit longer to play. If you have all the expansions (which I highly recommend) then you have a longer setup time. RFTG, you just get your planet, deal the cards and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
ROTF?

Maybe he likes rolling on the floor better than the settlers card game?

I can sympathize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
molnar wrote:
ROTF?

RFTGLMAO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
molnar wrote:
ROTF?

Maybe he likes rolling on the floor better than the settlers card game?

I can sympathize.

That's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping. ROTF? RFTG? Maybe that's why I'm having trouble picking up on the game??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very different games.

BTW - I find Starship Catan to be a nicer implementation of a 2-player Catan card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Go for San Juan.

San Juan is a much kinder, gentler introduction to a Puerto Rico like card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.