Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
When the following sitution comes up what do you do?

There is an option on the table that if you take only helps you a little but hurts another player badly. Do you take it? Or do you wait for a better option that will help you more in the long run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally depends. Is it the best option available to me at the time, or will it benefit my long-term strategy more than any other move? If so, then I'll take it, no regrets. Otherwise, why would I bother?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Osiris Ra wrote:

There is an option on the table that if you take only helps you a little but hurts another player badly. Do you take it? Or do you wait for a better option that will help you more in the long run?

How big is the delta? Is the delta large enough that I can effectively remove that player from contention? Do I have other options which offer larger deltas? Would taking that option open my position to similar positional liabilities?

In short, heck yes I'll take it if it appears worth it.

More simply; I'll take the choice which is consistent with winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am I married to this person?

Seriously though, depends for me too. If it's the best option for me, then I'll take it, but if, for instance, I'm already in a staggering lead, and could get ahead further (or safely stay ahead)without pouncing, then I probably wouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question at hand is a little vague (totally depends on the game rules), but without any other information, I'd say that yes, I probably would take the option. It's the other path to victory, messing up your opponents plans. If the other player was not a threat (well out of contention for the lead), I might not take the option unless the small benefit puts/keeps me in contention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the person I'm hurting is ahead of me then I'll take it in a heartbeat.

If it is someone that I don't like then I usually take it in about 3 heartbeats.

If I like the person I'll take the move in 5 heartbeats but I usually accompany the play with something like, "It killed me to do that".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Denise wrote:
Totally depends. Is it the best option available to me at the time, or will it benefit my long-term strategy more than any other move? If so, then I'll take it, no regrets. Otherwise, why would I bother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'll quote Rust Ballinger:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1489612#1489612

kuhrusty wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
(And I'm not being a Smart Aleck here, I'd bet your game experience have less hooting, hollering and declarations of "YOU SUCK".

Oh, I assure you, the one time I got to play games with clearclaw, I shouted that a lot. And it wasn't even a game where you could stomp each other; it was Clippers, a zero-luck game about creating trade routes by laying down wooden sticks!

I'm pretty sure if it had been game with armies on a map, it would have ended in homicide.

And from http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2143463#2143463 :

kuhrusty wrote:
(And you were right--he wins. And because it's a luck-free, open-information game, you can see when he's going to hose you, but you can't stop it. You make a silent vow: if you're ever in a six-player game of Bang! with him, there will be vengeance.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much diplomacy does the game involve? Screwing over a player, while fun, won't get you any favors from him later on in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
My answer is similar to JC's:

* Whether the short answer is "yes" or "no" depends on a *lot* of things, including what the game is and with whom I am playing it.
* The answer is always "whatever maximizes my chances of winning this particular game".
* Let me stress "this particular"; I never worry about how this will impact my chances to win future games (i.e., "metagaming").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Dave wrote:
* Let me stress "this particular"; I never worry about how this will impact my chances to win future games (i.e., "metagaming").

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:

I would do it. A gain is a gain. A better option may arise, and I'll take that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the situations. I would most likely do it unless the person I was doing it to was trailing far behind in last place or second to last place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Clarino
United States
Rockfall
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This qustion is way to vague. It always depends on the gamne and the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What everyone else said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
How big is the delta? Is the delta large enough that I can effectively remove that player from contention?

What's a delta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
How big is the delta? Is the delta large enough that I can effectively remove that player from contention?

What's a delta?

A fat lady from Atlanta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vaca
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the question is way too vague.

For example, in Dune (my favorite game) it is often foolish to smash a single player unless you are ready to win the game. Upsetting the balance too much at the wrong time can lead to someone else stepping in and taking the win when you are ill-prepared to do so.

Do I mind hosing my neighbor? Not at all - but I'll only do it when it provides real benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

What's a delta?

Points difference.

In a two player game, it almost always comes down to delta. A strong move against your opponent is better than a small gain for yourself in two player games. In multi player games it depends on the other players score and even how close to the end of the game it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a strong divide internally between teaching games and more serious ones. If there are newbies at the table, particularly if the player I would be burning is new, I would consider not taking the action.

If we've all played before and all are serious gamers: all's fair in Game of Love and War and I play to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:
blindspot wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

What's a delta?

Points difference.

In a two player game, it almost always comes down to delta. A strong move against your opponent is better than a small gain for yourself in two player games. In multi player games it depends on the other players score and even how close to the end of the game it is.

Ahh. So a move A that gets me 2 points, but prevents you from getting 10 points is better than move B that gets me 5 and doesn't stop you.

Move A delta = 8
Move B delta = 5

Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
I have a strong divide internally between teaching games and more serious ones. If there are newbies at the table, particularly if the player I would be burning is new, I would consider not taking the action.

If we've all played before and all are serious gamers: all's fair in Game of Love and War and I play to win.

Provided I've done a good job of teaching the rules, I think burning a serious gamer can be very instructional in a game they've never played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I have more than my share of serious gamers who would get super pissed off by that in my current gaming groups. But point taken and agreed with.

If it's me, by the way. Feel free to take your best shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every player on equal ground regarding experience playing the game? I would take it yes no second thoughts.

If there were newbies at the table it would be appropriate to explain what could be done in that situation but let it pass. And if one of the newbies could take advantage of such a situation i would gladdy have them take it.

Hurting other players badly, taking out the competition is a major strategy in a lot of games and it shouldn't be taken the wrong way. We do what we gotta do and we'll have a good laugh about it.

After all it's about playing not wining!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Rule of thumb:

If there are N players in the game, and play 1 costs my opponent x points while play 2 earns me y points, then I will choose play 1 if x > N * y.

Rule of whole hand:

It's definitely more attractive if the opponent it hurts is in the lead. If not, it will depend on whether similar opportunities tend to come along in that game. If I set one opponent back 5 points, but the others still all beat me by 1 point in the end, that's no good. But if I can set one person back this time, another back another time, and eventually get a chance to set everyone back, that's a good strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.