United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGGers would really be able to grasp the strategy and subtlety of a game of Mornington Crescent, and it would work well in a forum post.

I'll start the game off. Each following post must name one station in the Underground, following all rules and erratas, in an attempt to reach Mornington Crescent. Whoever makes it there first wins.

I will be the final judge of the rules, and reserve the right to jump in at any time to correct mistakes and illegal moves. Any of the rest of you who are familiar enough with the rules that you feel you may help, please feel free to jump in and correct mistakes. The final play to Mornington Crescent, however, must be validated by myself as well as at least one or two others who post who are familiar with all the current rules and updates.

If you are unfamiliar with the rules of the game, it may be possible to find a used copy on Ebay.

I'll start off with an easy one:

Knightsbridge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure that starting on the Piccadilly line is smart? Usually I find it leads to a fairly limited game.

But heck, you're running the rules, so I'll bite. I'll hop one stop over to South Kensington, which should at least leave some interesting options for the next player.

Edit: Before we play much farther, maybe you could at least say whether you will be using up-to-date construction and repair status of the stations and lines as the game progresses? Or will you be using the status as of a specific date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kensington's a good play. Limited play, as you said it, was purposeful for the first try of this. If we start a new one we could maybe start somewhere else.

We WILL be using the up-to-date construction of stations. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picadilly Circus ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at the risk of starting something that I really shouldn't, I suggest that we follow the standard "Knightsbridge - Sth Ken - Picadilly", Rushton opening of March '73. All agreed?

Gloucester Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'll get off at Wendover then. A fine little station once upon the Metropolitan line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. That leaves me with only a few moves. A move back to Picadilly could easily put us stuck in a loop.

I could try Farringdon, but if my calculations are correct that puts someone in the position to get to MC in 2, maybe 3.

I think I'll play it safe and go to Aldgate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bank. (There's an escalator).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Bank. (There's an escalator).

I've always been partial to Wolverham's Circle Line gambit that was used in the '82 series against Ireland. Therefore my only possible play from Bank would be Blackfriars. Or, for those traditionalists who prefer the Pre-WW2 nomenclature, St. Pauls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shepherd's Bush!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneaky. Very sneaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I'm not even sure that's a legal move, but I can't find anything in the rulebook forbidding it, so you're in the clear.

I'll play Waterloo, so we don't get ourselves backed into a corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta force an 'en passant' to Tower Hill to avoid a long, dull "Southern Endgame" . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Really, there are so many Mornington Crescent bots around that it's hardly worth playing it online anymore. It's all "Elephant and Castle, Earl's Court, reverse Suddington's gambit to Pimlico," blah blah blah. You can easily recognize a bot because the script kiddies are still a bit overexcited by the novelty of the Jubilee line, so if you ever see Kingsbury after Queensbury, or vice versa, you should be suspicious. Though it's fitting that bots should be focusing on Jubilee, since it's switching over to ATO next year.

This is hardly a winning, or even a challenging, move - it's an especially weak response to Tower Hill. But at least it passes the Turing test: Barbican.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You're not leaving me with many options, are you? I could take a risk and try for Blackfriars Temple, but that seems like something an inexperienced player would do. I think a solid move would be Vauxhall instead, although I'm worried about the neo-underground lateral possibilities it leaves open for the next two players.

Vauxhall it is, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christa Haley
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mornington Crescent! Always wanted to take the Night Bus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
It is amazing to see the mistakes of the past so readily repeated. Clearly that last move was nids, and by past I mean the UK Semifinals of '95 where the exact same situation occured.

Obviously this requires adjudication but it was always the standard practice in the East Hastings league to proactively continue the game when the error was so flagrant. Please excuse me if that is presumptive in this case.

I think simple is best to keep things going: Arnos Grove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple is one thing, but if you're going to follow the exact script of the '95 Semifinals, the winner's already determined!

I call repairs, and it's back to Barbican.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrian
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, that forces me to play one of my tokens, I'd wanted to avoid it so early on, but I must make the sacrifice if we are to avoid the rather tragic fact that without it, a tie would be forced within two moves - as the 'Barbican on the rocks' loop has already been triggered...

...I'll risk a diagonal feint onto a complimentary coloured line, invoked by my token expenditure, and take the action out to zone 4: Perivale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve
United States
SE
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficult position, leading to a natural forced shunt - and I thank you!
Chiswick Park for the block, with no reversals..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
I think BGGers would really be able to grasp the strategy and subtlety of a game of Mornington Crescent, and it would work well in a forum post.

I'll remind the gentleperson that there are several Knights of the Mornington Crescent at BGG and at least one master, Monsieur Thomas.

I don't believe anyone has invoked Kiplings yet so:
Elephant and Castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
I say, rule 2.3.18.4R says that move is illegal unless first passing throuhg Epping Forest. I therefore call you for epping and move past you on to Blackfriars. Take that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
I say, rule 2.3.18.4R says that move is illegal unless first passing throuhg Epping Forest. I therefore call you for epping and move past you on to Blackfriars. Take that.

Dear Osiris. Did you miss that I had invoked Kiplings? The Elephant Walk is perfectly legal having done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Osiris Ra wrote:

Dear Osiris. Did you miss that I had invoked Kiplings? The Elephant Walk is perfectly legal having done so.

Plus Osiris is now in nip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, with Kiplings invoked, and (at least) one player in nip, I have no choice but to return to Knightsbridge . . .

Let's see if we can't avoid a repeat of the December '88 regionals, and steer clear of the Moebius Map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.