Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play Metropolys 2-player or 3-player version you have to leave out or two districts. So what happens to the bridges that connect the active part of the board to the unused parts? Should the areas next to the bridges count when (in family version) I have the aim to collect as many areas with bridges as possible or in this case they are counted as simple border areas (do they? I guess they bring points for those who have to collect border areas?). I haven't found any note about it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Yes bridges are still bridges and so they count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which also means those areas don't count as borders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
You're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that it's harder to win with the border areas aim card than with any other. Even in a 4-player game, you've got 20 border areas whereas you have 28-32 from the others. And in a 3-player game you have only 14-15 border areas while you get 22-27 from the others (in other words, it is almost impossible to place all your 13 buildings on the border areas while there is significantly more chance to place them e.g. next to bridges). Maybe we should leave the border card also in a 3-player family game OR we should try how it works if, say, we give 4 points per border cards.
But maybe I'm not right; it is possible that because of their border setting it is easier to finish your round at the border. Still, I have never played a Metropolys where the one with the border card won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
We are aware of this fact (less borders than other elements), but the border objective is balanced anyway because the borders are really different from the other kind of objectives and so we noticed during the testing phase (hundreds of games) that an equal number of border would result in an automatic victory for the "border" player (if he knows how to play it well).

So don't worry, there's enough borders, but of course you can play differently if you prefer...

REgards,
Cyril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you might be right as it is easier to create border areas that make it very easy to finish my buildings there than it is with areas that are in the middle. Still, with 13 buildings I'm not sure (haven't tested it 100 times though that it is fair to have only 14 or 15 possibly good areas while others have more than 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karis wrote:
We are aware of this fact (less borders than other elements), but the border objective is balanced anyway because the borders are really different from the other kind of objectives and so we noticed during the testing phase (hundreds of games) that an equal number of border would result in an automatic victory for the "border" player (if he knows how to play it well).

So don't worry, there's enough borders, but of course you can play differently if you prefer...

REgards,
Cyril

That was also my conclusion after my games. You got to know how to play borders and might be a bit trickier, but it feels well balanced. I'm happy to see that it's the conclusion of the creative team as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.