Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: Messing with friends? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Svensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have never played TTR. Would you say that you get a lot of chances at being really nasty towards the people you play with/against? Me and my friends really dig games where we can mess with each other as much as possible...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
You can turn the game nasty. You can screw with people by claiming their routes before the finish them. Either they can't complete theior destination or they spend a long time going the long way. If they don't finish, it is negative points on that route. My fiancee also likes to aim for the longest route and so I try to trip that up by getting between two other routes she tries to connect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really isn't designed as deliberately confrontational game... Sure, you sometimes end up getting blocked by other people's moves, and sometimes you can see what the other guy wants to do - but if you make a move to block him, you're probably sacrificing a move to work to your own benefit, and that can really cost you, too...

Ian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree with ColtsFan76 to some extent, I'd say it's usually quite difficult to be efficient when messing with somebody else's routes. It's quite difficult to know where they want to go and it ain't easy to mess it up while not badly wasting a turn. It's difficult to win if you waste your turns like that.

That said, you can sometimes make a simple block in a two-cards route that ruins their chances at winning because you can sometimes steal the longest route bonus and/or break large routes.

I hope this helps. Have fun!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
aristarco wrote:
While I agree with ColtsFan76 to some extent, I'd say it's usually quite difficult to be efficient when messing with somebody else's routes.

I never claimed it was efficient! I just said it was possible to be nasty! And sometimes that is more fun than winning!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this also depends on the number of players you have... with a max player game, it's pretty inevitable that people will have tickets that intersect and those block each other's routes. It's a lot less confrontational with 2 or 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
I think this also depends on the number of players you have... with a max player game, it's pretty inevitable that people will have tickets that intersect and those block each other's routes. It's a lot less confrontational with 2 or 3.


Pppht. Picture this, I had 18 bluetrain left and was two cities out of New York in a two player game.

Did I get there? No.

Less confrontational? It depends entirely on who you play with. Personally I think there are more opportunities to be confrontational in two and three player because of the reduced number of tracks available.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Storm
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thebjornidentity wrote:
I have never played TTR. Would you say that you get a lot of chances at being really nasty towards the people you play with/against? Me and my friends really dig games where we can mess with each other as much as possible...


In a multiplayer game, if you want to win, you generally can't purposely mess with people. However, it can sometimes be useful if you are trying to come in 3rd instead of 4th, or 2nd instead of 3rd.

In a 2 player game, once you get some experience, you can completely block the other player and win that way. Knowing when to try to block and when not too is one of the key skills of the game.

Just goto daysofwonder.com and try the game out for free and see if your group would like it or not. You can't start your own game, but you can jump into other people's and play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think TTR is very rewarding if you are into "messing" with each other. There's nothing sweeter then guessing which route your opponent wants to finish and then taking his cards before he gets a chance and claiming his routes making his life pretty difficult. TTR:Switzerland is especially suited for this type of game.

TTR is great that way because you can play it peacefully and relaxing, or cutthroat and competitive. However, the point of the game isn't really just twarting other players, but combining progressive play with successful hindering of others. If "messing" is all you search for perhaps there are other games especially designed for this (Diplomacy?).



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Straub
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the original TTR and the Switzerland expansion. I've come to the conclusion that while you can definitely mess with your opponent, it's USUALLY at your own peril to do so. There is maybe 1 or 2 turns at most during the game that you can mess with them without affecting yourself negatively as well. I'm talking about taking someone's route even though you don't have a destination anywhere near that city. If you do have a destination nearby, then it's not really messing with them since you'd take that route even if they weren't playing.

I thought there would be more blocking in Switzerland, but you get 5 less trains to work with and the optimal choice appears to be picking up additional destination tickets towards the end of the game to get extra points for routes you already have instead of sacrificing those turns to mess with your opponent.

So I guess you could choose to play a mean and nasty blocking game, but your score is going to be much lower as well.

If you want mean and nasty multiplayer, play Carcassonne and block incomplete features, take them over, etc.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ssspinball wrote:
I own the original TTR and the Switzerland expansion. I've come to the conclusion that while you can definitely mess with your opponent, it's USUALLY at your own peril to do so.


SO wrong. Effective blocking is a strategy that needs to be mastered, it's not enough to just plomp your trains on opponent's route out of spite. Juggling your turns and estimating when (and where!) is the best time to block is a pure joy when done right. When done wrong, of course, it is detrimental to your game, but that's half the fun (the other half is seeing your opponent fume from his nostrils at the sight of his careful plans crumbling to dust).

Bear in mind that every destination card your opponent doesn't complete is actually DOUBLE points for you - your goal in the blocking game is not to maximize your points, but to minimize your opponent's. Switzerland messes up things a bit with the country tickets but on the other hand it's much easier to do incredibly effective blocking turns. In fact, TTR:E is the only TTR where stations totally kill the blocking game - that's why it's my least favourite version.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
I think this also depends on the number of players you have... with a max player game, it's pretty inevitable that people will have tickets that intersect and those block each other's routes. It's a lot less confrontational with 2 or 3.


This is so completely wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Cheesechick wrote:
I think this also depends on the number of players you have... with a max player game, it's pretty inevitable that people will have tickets that intersect and those block each other's routes. It's a lot less confrontational with 2 or 3.


This is so completely wrong.


Everytime we've played TTR 2-3 players, we've all ended up with tickets in different areas and didn't cross each other's paths much. Maybe I should have said it's a lot less necessarily confrontational, because the likelihood that you'll all have tickets that intersect is smaller.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're confusing accidental blockage with basing the entire strategy on stopping your opponent from finishing his/her ticket. Also, "confrontational" isn't quite the same as "getting in each other's way".

Basically, it's all in the attitude. Once you shift your focus from your trains and your destination tickets to those of the opponents' it's a whole new ballgame.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thebjornidentity wrote:
I have never played TTR.
TtR is VERY easy to play, with DoW's free online game that has a game open 24/7.
Quote:
Would you say that you get a lot of chances at being really nasty towards the people you play with/against?
Not a LOT of chances, at being "Really nasty".
You'll get a few opportunities to be pretty mean against them, though.
Quote:
Me and my friends really dig games where we can mess with each other as much as possible...
Well, there are better games than TtR if you enjoy that kind of play exclusively.

However, TtR is pretty unique, since it is an excellent gateway game, that can play radically different if people are playing "non-friendly" competetive play complete with blocking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you become really familiar with the tickets, you may be able to figure out what your opponent has and make some plays that don't gain you much but cost your opponent a LOT. Nashville-Atlanta for example if you know your opponent has an Atlanta ticket may force them to make a HUGE detour, costing you only one card and one turn to do.

If you don't know the tickets well, you can really only guess as to where your opponent is trying to get. You'll spend so much time blocking cities he doesn't actually want that it won't get you very far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Straub
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
ssspinball wrote:
I own the original TTR and the Switzerland expansion. I've come to the conclusion that while you can definitely mess with your opponent, it's USUALLY at your own peril to do so.


SO wrong. Effective blocking is a strategy that needs to be mastered, it's not enough to just plomp your trains on opponent's route out of spite. Juggling your turns and estimating when (and where!) is the best time to block is a pure joy when done right. When done wrong, of course, it is detrimental to your game, but that's half the fun (the other half is seeing your opponent fume from his nostrils at the sight of his careful plans crumbling to dust).


So how many turns out of, say, 20 turns in a game do you intentionally block an opponent? 2 or 3? If you're spending 10+ turns blocking (unless by chance you happen to pick completely overlapping routes), you're almost certainly costing yourself points, which is why I said it's USUALLY not an optimal choice in TTR.

I concede that I likely haven't mastered blocking in TTR, but my point is that there are plenty of other games that a confrontational play style the OP is looking for is much more common than TTR and is more likely to be optimal.

I agree that it's joy when done right, just infrequent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think theres a lot more confrontation in switzerland and even more confrontation with 3 players in Nordic Country. Nordic country is my favorite.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.