Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the news that there will be no English language version of "Renaissance", I loosened my purse strings and obtained the French version. I think that most people interested in "Renaissance" came to that intrest via "Joan of Arc", so I'll be comparing some of the bits in "Renaissance" to the bits that come with "Joan".

The map is huge. A whopping 39 inches by 30 inches. It's a 6 folder and is mounted "American style" (The playing surface is not visible when folded). All of the information tracks are incorporated on the playing surface, as opposed to "Joan" which has separate tile and tracks for informational bookkeeping.

The counters (garrisons, artists, pillage) are all 3/4 inches in diameter, and printed on both sides. (Joan's counters are 1 inch diameter and printed on only 1 side). I wish they had gone the 1" route.

The money tokens are 3 sizes and double printed (diameters of 1/2 ", 3/4" and 1" in copper, silver, and gold.

The deck of 80 cards are standard size, as opposed to the elongated "tarot" sized cards in "Joan". They look just as good, maybe better.

The structures in "Renaissance" are made of plastic, rather than the resin structures in "Joan". This makes them quite lighter, but probably sturdier too. They won't be prone to chip.

Each faction has an approximately 2" x 3" tile depicting a leader for identification purposes. There is also an extra set of counters for the French faction, which is used in the 3 extra scenarios that have been added to the basic game.

"Fit & finish" wise, my only disappointment is the 3/4" token size (prefer 1"), but it is an attractive package nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the French rules, how language independent are the components, e.g., the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the tokens and counters are iconographic, so no problem.
The only text on the cards is the titles, and frankly most of us know more French than we think. some examples:
Ingenieur = Engineer
Ambassadeur = Ambassador
Suisses = Swiss
Piquiers = Pikers
Retraite = Retreat
Artiste = Artist
Banquier = Banker
Signe de Dieu = Sign of God
If you have the English rules here in the files, you shouldn't have any problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
If you have the English rules here in the files, you shouldn't have any problem.

Ths line is very good to see. Thank you.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.