Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
About 10 years ago, I picked up the original AH Blackbeard on clearance. The game was a bit too complex for me at the time and didn't have much time to spare anyway. And so it remained in my closet forgotten.

Not too long ago, I dusted it off, finally made it through the rules and punched everything but again didn't find the time to get it on the table.

Now with GMT's release, I am reading through the rules and think this version is more up to my tastes: can accomodate 6 players if need be, has the CDG thing going for it, plays faster, and seems more approachable for my friends.

While I have every intent to pick up the GMT version, the question remains: is it worth it to hang on to the AH version? For those that played both, should I even bother going back and playing AH's? Will I enjoy GMT's so much I won't want to learn the old set? Or are they sufficiently different and both enjoyable making it worthwhile to keep both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

i own both. i will keep my old one for sentiment but cant imagine i'll crack it open to play as it doesnt do anything that the gmt version doesnt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I too suffer from "buy it and shelve it syndrome" and have recently begun to rethink my love affair with some of the games I have yet to play or never played. I am and will continue to thin the herd. Even with this new version of Blackbeard I keep looking at it online and then think, "I want it but will I play it". The answer is usually no, then I get worried I might miss a good game and buy it anyway. I had to have Das Motorsportspiel, had to have it, never played it, it's going as soon as I find a shipping tube that will fit. I have a bunch of Avalanche press wargames that I never played, they will be going too. The only game that I want to hold on to old versions of is Ogre. I guess you could speculate on older games, and sometimes you win. The money from the old games I don't want help me offset the cost of the newer ones I decide to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I find with any hobby that there are two parts to it: collecting and using. I did the same with music for many years - I bought far more records, then CDs, than I played. And even the ones I played and liked rarely got played more than once (and they take way less effort than games to play, certainly). And with books, well, I buy probably four times as many as I read.

So I don't really think the criterion should be "Will I ever play it?" - but rather "Will I kick myself for not having it?" Unless of course selling means money for something else that's fun (or necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope its worth it. I bought the original when it was released, and I just ordered the other last night. I think what sold me was the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
While I have every intent to pick up the GMT version, the question remains: is it worth it to hang on to the AH version?

I think this new version will make a lovely bookend gathering dust in your closet for ten years next to your old one. devil

(not a comment on the game, just found your story funny.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
but buying it knowing you'll never use it to me seems like compulsive behavior.

I don't think so. I mean, it can be, of course, but collecting is just another hobby. Games are no different from books in that regard - both will go out of print, so you may decide you want to make sure you have them.

That said, I fully intend to play every game I buy, but in about 80% of the cases, I never manage to do so. But I still buy them, although much less so now that companies post rules and components online for us to look at. Since I used to buy games just to read the rules and look at the maps, having them online means I don't need to do that any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and plan on playing both in the future. Here's why: The new game vastly improves upon the multiplayer experience. I can't imagine ever playing the old version as a multiplayer game again. However, when it comes to the solitaire game, I really prefer the old version. I can't quite put my finger on why this is yet...I think I need to play the new one solo a coulpe more times, but so far I'm keeping the old version around for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.