1 Posts

Pizza Box Football» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game, solo, expansion plays, no teams. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finally got this game after a long search. I played a game using the solitary coach rules, at the full game level with the expansion plays, but not specific teams. It was a cool game.

The game started slow, with both teams trading punts for all the first quarter. The home team (the one I was actively using) started a drive with slightly less than six minutes left in the first quarter which went into the second quarter and ended in a 35 yards field goal to open the scoreboard. The visiting team next drive moved the ball a bit, including a 10 yards scramble, and they downed a short punt in the 10 yards line, and then forced a three and out. In their next drive, despite good field position, the things didn't work as well, but the visiting team kicked a 56 yarder to tie the score.

But the home team was about to start their show. They got the next drive working, and culminated it with a 28 yards run for the first touchdown of the game, with just 40 seconds left in the half (an 18 with the black dice). The visitors couldn't cross the field in the short time remaining and the teams went to halftime with a home lead, 10-3.

On the second half the show was about to continue. Visiting team received the kickoff but only to manage a three and out, helped by a sixteen yards sack. The quarterback fumbled the ball, but managed to keep it for them. Next came a good fifteen yards pass, but insufficient. And home team got the ball and proceeded to run the ball, and eat eight minutes and a half, to end with a one yard run touchdown. 17-3.

The opponents tried to move the ball a bit, but decided to go for it in 4th and 2 as the first play of the fourth quarter, and were stopped. (I wasn't using the strategic decisions but as a consulting tool when I was doubting. Down 14 points with 15 minutes remaining, I figured the sensible thing was trying for it, rather than trying a 62 yarder). Home team, with a good position for the first time in the game, did another long drive, but had to settle for a 21 yards field goal in 4th and Goal. 20-3 and less than seven minutes remaining. It all seemed said and done.

But the visiting team wouldn't just sit down and die. They took a hurry-up drive to the home team's 28, where they were forced to kick a field goal. It was good and it was again a 14 points game. The subsequent onside kick didn't work, but defense forced a three and out, and got the ball in their own 20, with 1:40 left. Five plays later, and just with 20 seconds left, they were in the home team's end zone with a 29 yards touchdown pass. 20-13.

20 seconds left and no timeouts remaining meant they would only get one play to cross the 60 yards they needed, but first they had to recover an onside kick. Sadly for them, the roll came up a 9, and the home team got the ball. They just took a knee and the game ended.

Some stats show how different the teams' play styles were. Home team 43 carries for 213 yards, and 11/20 for 82 yards passing (a 65.0 rating). The visiting team was more balanced in play calling, 23 carries for 82 yards and 16/26 for 162 yards, and the only passing touchdown of the game (a 92.1 rating). The home team won 19 first downs, of which 14 were achieved rushing (including the two touchdowns), and the visiting team got 14, of which 10 were made passing (again including the touchdown).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.