Subject: Actual minimum age - good for younger kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
What is your opinion of the real minimum age for this game? It's listed as 10+ years, while Zooloretto is listed as only 8+. Is this game really that much more complicated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
New York
flag msg tools
We played the game the first time tonight and my 8-year old handled the game fine, although she had already mastered playing Zooloretto. If you have a younger child around the same age, I recommend playing Zooloretto with them a few times before moving on to this game. The game play weight is a little heavier and there are some differences. For example, the laying of tiles to form Water Basins is different than the Enclosures in Zooloretto. Enclosures had set areas on the zoo boards while Water/Animal Basins must be laid out and created by the players on the open water zoo spaces. The game also adds in co-workers (meeples) that can be placed strategically to give bonus points during final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just got done with our first Aqua game. I was a little worried, after readig the rules, that my kids, an 8- and a 6-year-old, would struggle some with the options here, even though they've played Zooloretto a couple times. The younger daughter did make some suboptimal plays and needed some assistance, but she ended up winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 6 year-old and an 8 year-old also.

In our first game, I pretty much told the 6 year-old where to put his tiles and showed the 8 year-old his choices.

By our second game, I was giving the 6 year-old choices and simply watching where the 8 year-old put his tiles. I only needed to correct him (for rules violation or poor strategy) twice.

The co-workers are not very difficult to understand. Although, in your first game, you might need to remind your kids the benefits of getting 3, 5, 6, 9, 10 or 12 tiles of a particular animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.