Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i confess Wealth of Nations had me looking out for Tablestar Games forthcoming releases.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any info on that on their web site.

Peter can tell us what are you guys planning for 2008? Give us the good stuff laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I suspect Wealth Of Nations is an (admirable) experiment for them. Their other games are comparative fluff aiming closer to the traditional FFG audience -- they're not bad games mind you, but they're not meaty multi-hour thoughtful economics-heavy games. Hopefully it will be a successful experiment. I'd like to see far more games like Wealth of Nations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'd like to see far more games like Wealth of Nations!

My thoughts exactly, that's why i would like to know what's coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately TableStar Games was forced to downsize the company in January and it is not clear what is going to happen with the games that are in development. (We have quite a few exciting titles) As you can guess it takes a lot of man-hours to produce even a simple game like Martins & Men let alone a meaty game like Wealth of Nation. This results in a high cost to produce these games which if they are not a hit do not result in much money coming back in.

I am personally excited about Wealth of Nations and hope that it successful enough to lead to more releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peteloaf wrote:
Unfortunately TableStar Games was forced to downsize the company in January and it is not clear what is going to happen with the games that are in development.

Sorry to hear about the downsizing. Any risk of that affecting availability of Wealth of Nations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan wrote:
Peteloaf wrote:
Unfortunately TableStar Games was forced to downsize the company in January and it is not clear what is going to happen with the games that are in development.

Sorry to hear about the downsizing. Any risk of that affecting availability of Wealth of Nations?

I guess the first print run is guaranteed. Not sure if Tablestar is even planing a second one. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Johan wrote:

Hi - and thanks for the kind words. We printed a large number of Wealth of Nations copies so there should be no fear of running out this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peteloaf wrote:
We printed a large number of Wealth of Nations copies so there should be no fear of running out this year.

Well, I'll wait in line. When do you think retailers will get it?

jacob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameSurplus has it listed as a pre-order with a June time frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My LFGS picked it up on my request and i should have WoN by the end of May the latest. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oblivion wrote:
My LFGS picked it up on my request and i should have WoN by the end of May the latest.

We played today at Kublacon. I'm impressed. I think I'm about to put this game into fast rotation (attempt 2-3 plays per week).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know that Lawrence.

I have not played it yet but i've got expectations about this one. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peteloaf wrote:
Unfortunately TableStar Games was forced to downsize the company in January and it is not clear what is going to happen with the games that are in development. (We have quite a few exciting titles) As you can guess it takes a lot of man-hours to produce even a simple game like Martins & Men let alone a meaty game like Wealth of Nation. This results in a high cost to produce these games which if they are not a hit do not result in much money coming back in.

I am personally excited about Wealth of Nations and hope that it successful enough to lead to more releases.

I also played it at Kublacon... this morning with Peter himself, on a special one of a kind giant setup! Fun game! I'll try and post some thoughts on it later, and I'm definately adding it to my want list as a must have title (I very nearly bought it at Kubla, but I had spent too much at the Kubla flea market before). Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics, but some people took them, so hopefully they will post some.

This game is in stock now at one or two retailers (and it was availible to buy at kublacon). I think the name of the retailer was Endgame in SF.

It also has a pretty reasonably priced MSRP, they didn't try to crank the price up sky high like a lot of modern publishers are doing with the newer games.

I also will be checking out Tablestar's other products, someone was showing off a couple at the con while we were playing Wealth of Nations, and they caught my eye.

Great game, and great guy to play with.

(the rules and stuff are availible to download if anyone wants to check it out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
It also has a pretty reasonably priced MSRP, they didn't try to crank the price up sky high like a lot of modern publishers are doing with the newer games.

Where was this game printed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Yargo wrote:

Where was this game printed?

You mean USA vs china or whatever? Whats the differance (aside from cost)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is inexplicable to Spathi worms. Only Hunams understand the quality differences of a game printed in "China" vs "United States" vs "Germany". Eat plasma you cowardly eye-stalked freak of nature!

(yup...I started playing SC2 again this weekend...)

Edited to be a bit more diplomatic..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i got my copy of Wealth of Nations yesterday and i'm hoping to play it tomorrow. Tablestar were able to put the game in Europe quite fast.

Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
Well i got my copy of Wealth of Nations yesterday and i'm hoping to play it tomorrow. Tablestar were able to put the game in Europe quite fast.

Well done!

Could you check on the box please to see if it says where it was printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Well done!

The quality of the game shown at Kubla seemed pretty high to me. I got to see 2 games there, the giant custom made demo set, and a retail box copy.

To be honest, the recent print quality of GMT and Formula Motor Racing (resulting in not being able to tell the colors of the cards apart very well) concerns me much more than the print quality of Wealth of Nations where there's no cards, the blocks are all very differant colors, and the tiles are all differant not just in color but the design (especially placement of the dots). The map design is somewhat abstract it since it isn't supposed to represent any particular geographical area, and gets covered up during play. The market boards are also fairly simple in design, since complexity in thier appearance would just make them confusing to the players, thier most important aspects are what the current market prices are. The paper money also has differant background designs on each demonination as well as differant numbers on them.

In other words, I'm still trying to figure out how it will make much differance, where its printed (especially for this particular game, although I wouldn't mind links or comments in general on how its made a differance in other games, since this is the first time I've heard of this potential issue. I mean it makes sense how it could make a differance in some games, I just can't see how it would make much of a differance with this particular one)

I could understand the concern if it was say Race for the Galaxy, with all the fantastic artwork on each card that could easily get screwed up if everything wasn't printed just right.

But its not. It IS a very fun game though

Looking at the pics on BGG (note that the 1st pic is the massive original size, so you'll probably need to scroll ):
Entire game contents: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/275862?size=original
1 of several Counter/tile Sheets: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/337255?size=original

If it was printed in china, and if the chinese printing was so terrible for this game, then surely it would be readily apparent from those 2 pics (especially the one of the counter sheet)?

You are getting me curious though, not about this game, but about Formula Motor Racing and where it's latest printing was done

Edit: Just to be crystal clear, I'm not trying to cause offense to anyone, I'm just trying to understand the details behind this issue since this is the first time I've been informed that the printing location of a game can make a differance. I'm fairly new to board gaming, and aside from the one specific example I mentioned (which I had thought was just caused by a bad batch, not any particular geographical location of the printer), I haven't seen anything like that in the games I've owned or seen. But since I'm fairly new to the hobby, the number of games I've seen is likely pretty small compared to many on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Well done!

Made in China

My only complain goes to the player aids which are very very slim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, here's a tip I observed from Peter (not sure if its in the rules or not).

Make sure to keep all resources nessasary to produce on the tiles so you don't forget. Very very important not to forget. Otherwise if you don't have enough to do your master plan you might get upset I did that at one point when we had like 3 or 4 people producing banks. Because I forgot an ore for my automated industry, I wasn't able to produce industry that turn and was not able to build the bank before everyone else grabbed up the tiles.
On a positive note, the price of industry tiles shot way up from my lack of industry production affecting the supply, so I was able to get more money from selling them next turn
Also don't forget the resources that will be nessasary for the ADDITIONAL tiles you are BUILDING that turn as well. Otherwise after building you won't be able to produce on them.

In other words, during the trade phase, put the resources as you acquire them on top of the tiles, then remove the resources and put them back into supply pool on the produce phase.

Oblivion wrote:

From my one play of the game (and watched most of another), I found them pretty useful since they list the costs of everything. Granted, they don't tell you a lot of detail about the turn order, but its the cost of things that I found myself wanting to know most often since there's really only 3 parts to a turn.

Trade for resources (or buy them)
Build stuff (including flags)
Produce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
Just to be crystal clear, I'm not trying to cause offense to anyone, I'm just trying to understand the details behind this issue since this is the first time I've been informed that the printing location of a game can make a differance.

I think it stems from some pretty well publicized (at least on the Geek) blunders that occurred when some games that had previously been printed in Germany were later printed in China. IIRC, the two games in particular was an earlier Goa reprint and the El Grande Decenial printing. In one of those two cases I recall Geeks crying foul when they opened their boxes and noticed that the front cover artwork and text of their rulebook had bled onto their gameboard. I also remember a lot of people commenting that the Decenial components were inferior to the original printing of El Grande. Finally, it seems that in general board warpage has increased with boardgames being made in China-- and then there was that mold incident although to be fair I am not certain if that game was made in China or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Valerio
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
www.rededejogos.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:

Oblivion wrote:

From my one play of the game (and watched most of another), I found them pretty useful since they list the costs of everything. Granted, they don't tell you a lot of detail about the turn order, but its the cost of things that I found myself wanting to know most often since there's really only 3 parts to a turn.

I didn't say they weren't useful, i just said that the paper is to slim. They should be made of cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oblivion wrote:
I didn't say they weren't useful, i just said that the paper is to slim. They should be made of cardboard.

Ohhhh. Doh. I thought you meant slim as in the info provided on them lol. Sorry, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansell
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:

Finally, it seems that in general board warpage has increased with boardgames being made in China...

I just got a peek at this thread. Yes the game was printed in China. We wanted to stay under $50 for this game and that meant we had no choice except going to the big red empire of industry.

As it turns out there is a variety of choices between price and quality in Chinese vendors. We chose to use Kaleido since they did a smashing job with our HeroCard Orc wars games. They were higher than some other vendors but we thought it was worth it.

Finally - warping boards. I hate them. I do not understand why this is such a problem. The vendors tell you they did not cure long enough or too much moisture in the factory - ie there is always some excuse! Our HeroCard Rise of the Shogun had terrible problems with warping boards. This was one of the many reasons we stopped working with that particular printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.