Subject: A couple of questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linda Stenström
Finland
Siuntio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game (English version), but the rules seem a little confusing. We tried playing it with my boyfriend, and there are some questions we couldn't find answers for in the rules.

Two or more sections form a region, right? And a closed region gets a token. But can you move to an open region? And what happens if a hobbit is in a region when it is closed? Does the player get the token or does he have to move out of the region and go back again to get the token?

And what about the tiles with the same landscape on several sides? Does each quarter of a tile count as a section, or each landscape type on a tile? The rules state that two or more sections form a region. And if a quarter is a section, then there are some tiles where a certain landscape type is already a region. Right?

And then these "rivers". Is a hobbit allowed to jump over a river, from one mountain to another?

Also, I thought the scoring was a little too confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game only once and found it way to confusing to ever play again. I have tried several times to try and find answers, but have come up empty handed. I hope someone has the answers for you because I would like to see them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Blue_rose wrote:
Two or more sections form a region, right? And a closed region gets a token. But can you move to an open region?

Only a closed region of exactly two sections gets a token. In other words, a region with a token is made up of two triangle-shaped sections that, when adjacent, form a square.

Sorry about not being able to address your other questions, but perhaps this will help sort things out for you.

By the way, do try the original German version of the rules for this game. They are really the only way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, throw away the English rules and play by the original German rules (download the translation from the files section). The original game is much better.

Quote:
Two or more sections form a region, right? And a closed region gets a token.

Two or more sections form a region, but only a closed region with exactly two sections gets a token, as the previous poster said.

Quote:
But can you move to an open region?

Yes. The rules only prevent you to move to a single section.

Quote:
And what happens if a hobbit is in a region when it is closed? Does the player get the token or does he have to move out of the region and go back again to get the token?

Notice that such situation may only happen if one of the tiles is face-down. That is not covered by the rules, but I think the most logical solution is to allow the player to take the token on his turn if he does not move.

Quote:
And what about the tiles with the same landscape on several sides? Does each quarter of a tile count as a section, or each landscape type on a tile? The rules state that two or more sections form a region. And if a quarter is a section, then there are some tiles where a certain landscape type is already a region. Right?

Each quarter counts as a section. So, two adjacent sections of the same landscape type, even on the same tile, are already a region.

Quote:
And then these "rivers". Is a hobbit allowed to jump over a river, from one mountain to another?

Yes. The rivers exist only to separate mountains, so that whenever you join mountain sections in different tiles you get a closed region with just two sections.

Quote:
Also, I thought the scoring was a little too confusing.

You may need to refer to the rulebook in the first game or two, but it's quite simple, actually. But again, use the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Stenström
Finland
Siuntio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. Now it's much clearer.

I noticed I misread the rules about those closed regions, so now I understand how it's supposed to work.

I think I'll take a look at the German rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.. such a region simply consists of two tiles..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.