BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Your worst attribute during gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Admit it, you have one or more bad habits while gaming. Are you a sore loser? Chronic analysis paralysis? Can't wait your turn? Constantly on your cell-phone? Tendency to grief people you don't like? Sparing your SO in a game even when he/she is in the lead? Impatience with newbies? Constantly giving other players advice? Overly stoic/serious/silent during games? Post your worst quality here!

I'll admit, I have a terrible attention span. If the game is overly complicated (and it seems like my threshold for "overly complicated" is pretty low), I'll constantly ask how the rules work over and over, even if they were clearly explained once before the game starts. Usually it isn't that bad, but the first time I played Twilight Imperium, I asked so many questions I even started pissing myself off. On the flip side, if there's a lot of downtime between turns, I'll generally get bored and start glazing away. Damn ADHD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im too intense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed I will occasionally blame my losses on other people. "If you hadn't done such and such...then..." I don't think I ever really say it accusingly, but I've gotten close. There was one reaction during a recent game of PR that I'm not especially proud of. I think I recovered from it ok, but it's made me far more alert to these things from then on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a habit of belittling people, by telling them what they "should" have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have very short patience with slow play, and I get very frustrated when a player is taking too long on a play that has only one obvious choice that the player ends up taking after a long analysis.

My other frustration is with people that openly analyze my moves (and the other players' moves) while the game is still in progress. This is a combination of TV sports-style play-by-plays, table talk, and selfish motives on the part of players that are trying to point out what I am doing in case the other players have not yet caught on. Either way, it slows down the game and creates arguments during the game with competitive or egotistical players that do not like being told that their move was suboptimal.

Patience and tolerance for other people's play styles is my respnosibility, especially since I hate playing games by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What's AP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
AP = analysis paralysis.

I enjoy games for the company more then the winning. So I tend not to be good at "screw you" type games. Plus I tend to have analysis paralysis issues sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxwell Strickland
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
But seriously, I sometimes stand up and walk around the table because

a) the tension in the match makes me feel agitated, I can't just sit still (I've played pretty much a whole match of Imperial standing up)
b) I have to stretch my crappy knees
c) I'm bored with other people's AP.

I've never had any complaints, but I've read a topic here that it annoys some people. Oh well.

At our weekly game nights we all start the game of imperial sitting down but by the end we're all up hovering over the table. The tension gets so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathirtle wrote:
(Truthful answer: I get impatient with AP players.)

Me too. Though I try not to show it. Drives me crazy/makes me lose interest in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to have a low tolerance for opponents with AP and am not very subtle in ushering the game along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am told I don't smile enough and therefore I look pissed or at the very least like I am not having fun. Actually, 95% of the time I am usually deep in thought (although not always on the game...fault 2 ADD), having a blast playing almost any boardgame, (I will tell you if I am pissed..believe me!), and because I can't stand analysis paralysis, I tend to move too quickly sometimes to keep a game going even if it is my first time playing the game.

As a consequence of the disdain of AP, I frequently kick myself under the table for not seeing the obvious until after I move. Sorry, even if I have never played the game before I would rather have a game flow than spend too long taking a turn. I would rather lose the game but learn what not to do, than win the game and take forever during my turn. This decision of speeding up my turn does anger some players because they read into my bad game play things like "he does not like the game", "he is bored and does not care", or "he is losing on purpose".

I too can't stand AP players so maybe sometimes I might be frustrated (luckily only a very select few in the several groups I play with suffer AP and most do not suffer AP too bad).

An example you ask of a player with a bad case of AP? Taking 15-20 minutes to decide what to do in a given Zooloretto turn. Holy crap! You are loosing so badly just make a decision so we can get a 45min game done before two hours please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of a couple.

1.) When I'm teaching games, I tend to be one of those game-teachers who wants to mention every rule and every possible FAQ that may come up before the game begins so everyone is on even footing. And I'll interrupt during the game to bring up ones I may have forgotten.

2.) I can get crabby and impatient if people take too long. I was in a 4-hour long game of Sceptre of Zavandor where I actually took out a newspaper and started reading it toward the end; I'm not proud of that.

3.) In an attempt to be helpful, I can tend to hand out people's resources, move stuff for them, etc. I'm not sure how much this annoys people, but I bet it can get on some's nerves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm basically impatient when it isn't my turn and I get cranky if I feel that the luck plays too large a role and isn't balancing out. It's not really about winning or losing, in that regard - I don't mind losing because I usually learn more than I would from winning - it's just annoying that some games allow luck to play TOO great of a role.

But I definitely need to work on not being so impatient and just enjoying the time I get to spend gaming with friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisdom.

Also, I am a poor winner. I like to do it and keep doing it. I do it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Struve
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,

I am not as bad as I thought after reading the above comments! I also like to play games, and honestly don't care about winning (though it is nice, it isn't important). I tend to be the one that keeps the game rolling, giving play by play (but not pointing out their potential strategies) to keep people focused on what they need to focus on. I don't do this to be a jerk, but I am usually the one teaching the game... so I find this helps people learn the game.

I also CAN NOT stand AP... it really drags the game down. Like Thomas mentioned, I tend to play too quickly - and often miss important strategies. But I like to be the role model, showing people you don't have to sit there for 5 minutes wondering what to do. Gotta keep that game going! Less AP = Quicker Games = More Games Played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Koenemann
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I learn games best by finding patterns in which strategies work and what doesn't. As a consequence, I tend to make decisions about strategy really fast so that I can find those patterns. So games with large AP, or games that are more solitaire in which people take a long time to decide what to do annoy me a lot (Roborally or Kingsburg). It gets so bad, that I will not play these games ever again. And I literally mean never. I will never play Roborally or Kingsburg again. And since I like to find patterns, the games also have to be under a certain time limit. Anything too long, and my mind can't find patterns and the game starts to die for me. I like Power Grid alot, but refuse to play with 6 because it just takes too long and can't find any patterns between my play and any results.

And that brings me to my second problem, in that I am very picky about my games. Like the aforementioned games, there are some that I will just refuse to play. Games have to be under a certain length. For some reason, mythical settings jar me in a way that I hate to play them. I love Colossal Arena and Citadels gameplay, but the mythical setting makes me like them less. This unfortunately causes me veto games that others would like to play. I realize that it makes me kind of a jerk, but otherwise I know that I will not have any fun at all. I must take time to acknowledge my game group (Sacramento Boardgame Meetup), to be able to put up with my problems. They are a great group, and if you are in the Sacramento area, you should go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my worst gamer-trait is that I often get irritable when the grass seems greener. I'll play a game because someone needs a player, then for the rest of the night, I will be out of sink with the people who are playing the games that I would like to play - always being in the middle of a game when other groups start new games. I'm not sure that my irritability and/or distraction from my current game shows through, but often feel bad for wishing I was playing the other game and not just being happy with the game in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get annoyed with ADD players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
spamspam2 wrote:
This unfortunately causes me veto games that others would like to play... They are a great group, and if you are in the Sacramento area, you should go.

Maybe, but I think there's someone there who'd keeps vetoing my fantasy games.

Back on topic, I guess I get frustrated by AP prone players as well. I sometimes make bad moves just because I realise I'm taking too long and I just do whatever I can.

Also, when I'm teaching a game, I hate having to repeat a rule more than once, even if it's just because they're having trouble understanding the game. Sometimes I'll feel bad about getting snippy, but often it's because they weren't paying attention when I was explaining.

(I had one girl playing my DS while I was explaining Sticheln. And she didn't even ask if she could play it. Obviously, she asked a lot of rules questions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarryKruger wrote:
I have very short patience with slow play, and I get very frustrated when a player is taking too long on a play that has only one obvious choice that the player ends up taking after a long analysis.

That's me right there.

I also get very impatient when a player makes a move that is againt the rules, and that particular rule has already been explained to them the other five times they tried to make the same move.

Example:

Other Person: So I'll ship this good along the red line, then switch it to the blue line to get it to this destination.

Me: No, you cannot switch lines. If you deliver using the red line it must stay on the red line. You cannot switch shipping lines.

-NEXT TURN-

Other Person: I'll ship this good using the yellow line, then swich it to the green line to get to this destination.

Me (growing more frustrated): No, remember you can't switch lines. If you deliver using the yellow line it must stay on the yellow line. You cannot switch shipping lines, ever.

-NEXT TURN-

Other Person: I'll ship this good using the green line, then switch it to the blue line to get to this destination.

Me (thinking to myself "I wish this game was over"): NO, THERE IS NO SWITCHING OF LINES, REGARDLESS OF THE COLOR!!!

You get the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I too have problems with stupid people.

And AP players whose AP doesn't seem to improve their game any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have several:

Impatience with AP.

Frustration at getting hosed by other players (especially in the "pile-on" mode).

Probably show my disinterest too clearly in games I am not enjoying.

Keep playing a certain game because I want to like it - even though it is obviously one of the worst games ever, inspires AP in other players, drags on far too long, I never have a decent strategy, I don't enjoy it, and I lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though the subject of the thread is "your worst attribute during gaming" it kinda sounds like some folks are intending to identify AP, not impatience with it, as the "bad attribute". I think that can be true, but it is also true that not all downtime/AP is equivalent, and sometimes the impatience with AP is not quite justified. Sometimes people are justified in feeling impatient, but other times the impatience is the problem, not the "AP".

I work very hard to make quick decisions during games. If I know in advance that I will be (or even might be) playing a certain game, I do lots of mental prep and rule reading ahead of time if possible. I am also more than fine with losing games or making uncertain or questionable moves in the name of keeping downtime down. But if I take a minute or two to think about what to do, it often happens that others at the table (esp my own dear loving spouse!) get a bit impatient and try to usher me along even though I am already painfully aware that I must decide ASAP. I personally do not think that kind of impatience with me is fair, because it's like getting angry with a short person for not being tall. I don't like my AP any more than others do. Sometimes I just need a second to see the angles or come up with something passable to do.

On the other hand, if someone is taking lots of time because of a fear of making mistakes or because of a self-imposed duty to make the most perfect move (a perfection that IMO is visible only in hindsight, when eg writing session reports for BGG), then I would say that he or she actually is not playing in the spirit of competitive or open gaming. In that case, AP is a problem (one best solved, IMO, by trying to create an atmosphere of risk-taking and experimentation).

By the way, to answer the question directly, I'd say that my worst attribute in gaming is being insufficiently invested in winning. It can make me careless sometimes, and this can weaken the experience for others. I am trying to remedy this by seeking out more confrontational games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Balthus_Dire wrote:
I go much, much further in analysis than is appropriate for my group. For example, if I have a game I haven't played coming up in a week, I'll read all available strategy, play multiple solo practice games, ask senior players for advice, and memorize all of the random elements, like cards, working out draw probabilities.

Seems like you are just "playing the numbers" game.
Develop your own strategy. Reinvent the wheel. I really don't want to know the best strategy before I ever play the game. WHAT'S the POINT? Learn the game through your mistakes. Hell, 1/2 the time, we players play the more challenging games incorrectly anyway the first couple times through.

I like to play the players. Knowing my opponents strengths and weaknesses force me to adapt to new ways to improve my game. Of course, if the game you are playing is a 4er solitaire game, then this doesn't apply.

Myself, I can seen as an AsP (Analysis semi Paralysis) player. That's AsP NOT AsS. I like to think of what my opponents would do IF they react to my moves. This is fine in most games, BUT I have a tendency to do this in games where it doesn't matter what your opponents do.

Also, I hate getting JACKED in games. EVERYONE does. Sometimes I may go overboard with my reaction. Keep it real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Borderline addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.