1 Posts

Railroad Dice» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Mackey
flag msg tools
Railroad Dice:

Players were Sean, Mike, Ken and myself. Mike and Kenn were new to the game.

I reviewed the rules with the new players with helpful reminders from Sean and we got off to a quick start. Ken is a designer and was fascinated by the mechanisms in the game.

The game took 2.5 hours and ended by condition of running out of dice. The game should be playable in 75 minutes if all players have experience.

* Sean: 14
* Mike: 14
* Ken: 28
* Ian: 57

In this game I corrected my tactical error from the last play and protected my first company by buying 5 shares. In this game, I believe I did not emphasize my advice to early players about the importance of keeping dice behind your screen. The ability to buy stations got repeatedly misunderstood by the new players which led to their lagging behind. Furthermore my suggestions to gang up on me once I solidified control of the two top companies and chase the shares down were not heeded leading to a run-away leader problem. I think this soured their experience.

I still believe this is a solid game when played competitively but I have concerns about the fragility of a competitive game when there are players of unequal experience. Next time I will try harder to be a stronger coach.

I still rate it 7.5 (this may drop if the run-away leader problem persists with a level playing field of players)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.