Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Stalled at Stalin'grad. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalled at Stalin’grad

26 Sept, 1942. Fighting in the streets of Stalingrad continues. The German infantry attempts to take the city one block at a time. Facing a mixture of regular and conscript Russian infantry, slow progress is made. Russian shock groups reinforce falling positions and give the German infantry some surprises…

Map and Initial Set-up

German forces lay down smoke in the road and attempt to advance towards the Russian positions.

The Russian defensive fire is highly effective and the Germans are turned back and routed.

The German flamethrower runs out of petrol on it’s first use. *damn* Two engineer squads are reduced.

Progress so far:

The German eastern force (3 squads) are all broken.

The German centre force, 3 of 5 squads broken.

The German western force, 1 of 3 squads eliminated – shot down advancing through some smoke (DR=3!). They make some progress advancing into melee and eliminate some Russian Conscripts in an ambush.

The Russians fight back in the west engaging in melee eliminating another German squad and the lieutenant.

Two more German squads try to slowly advance across the centre street and are cut to pieces. Only 3 German squads are unbroken. The remainder of the German Western force is eliminated when the Russian Shock force appears.

Major Pigott and his German line infantry pin the Russian defenders and eliminate them in melee.

The Russians send all their men into close quarters combat. Huge melees ensue with both sides taking losses. The centre German force is eliminated.

The forces involved in the large melee in the east

The Germans manage to place a satchel charge in the centre, but it fails to to any significant damage (1 squad broken).

Advancing into melee, some Russians are eliminated in the west. In the east Sgt. Harpe and 2 German squads are eliminated!

The Germans are reduced to 1 squad and 2 half squads!

Not willing to give up, the Germans still manage to take the western building objective. (which was the last one I expected, as the initial German western force was the first to be totally annihilated!)

The Russians win. The remaining German 1 and a half squads retreat.

Final Position

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that attack went horribly wrong. Did the German player just spread his offensive out too thin?

Fantastic work with the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
Wow, that attack went horribly wrong. Did the German player just spread his offensive out too thin?

Agreed. The Russians are supposed to have a hard time. I would expect them to get mowed down being setup like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:

Agreed. The Russians are supposed to have a hard time. I would expect them to get mowed down being setup like that.

First turn was disaterous for the Germans. The Russians made pratically every roll and had a number of 2 and 3's on the IFT. The German FT ran out on the first shot.

Nothing went right for the Germans in the first turn...

editted because I suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Ng
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A fine example on how not to conduct an assault.
Maybe the Germans should concentrate fire during prep fire phase.
And don't start advancing unless a good chunk of the the Russian defenders are broken.

I learned this when playing my first ASL scenario ever in SK3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The flamethrower even if it ran out of fuel could possibly yield some MC on the russian squad in the building 2 hex away... was it a 10,11 or 12?
The 4-4-7 was intact, neither pinned nor broken. Lucky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firing at 2 hex range, I think the best the FT can do if it runs out of fuel on its first roll is get a PTC with a roll of a ten.

The German player should at least try to minimize the impact of some good Russian early rolling by progressing with a more methodical assault with a defined main thrust and supporting firegroups. Not having played this scenario yet there isn't much more I can say, but I just got my ASLSK#1 in the mail so I look forward to setting this scenario up and soloing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no time no ASL play! I remembered that the 12 FP column without any modifier was more dangerous with a 10 DR roll....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.