Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When I recently picked up the game "Tzaar", I finally said to myself that I might as well finally pick up a copy of "Tamsk". I'd read they were re-releasing the "Tamsk" game in 2008 with a new look and name. Then I'd read, if they couldn't fix the Egg Timer Problem, they might not release it at all.

So, with "Tamsk" being the only game from the "Gipf" series not in my collection, now seemed like a perfect time to get a copy, which I did.

When I'd read the timers could be a little off, I assumed some would be a few seconds off, more or less, than some of the other timers. Upon opening my box, you could actually visibly see the differences in the amounts of sand in the various Egg Timers. I quickly thought it would only be fair to play a series of four straight games, with each sides switching colors, to make the game a fair one.

But lets talk about the game itself.....

I took the recommendation of the instructions and played the first game without turning over the timers. Lost that one by just 1 ring. The second game I played, we turned over the timers and yet I still managed to lose by a single ring. The third game, I won by 4 or five rings and I began to wonder if I was getting the hang of this game. The game was certainly fun, even without turning over the timers, but using the timers, really created a much greater sense of tension in the game.

It's just amazing with all Kris Burn's games in the series, how such simple components and rules, still manages to crate a fairly complex game, that still manages to be fun. "Tamsk" was certainly no exception.

Everything is nicely packaged in the box and the stands, board and rings were all sturdy and nicely made.

I do hope they decide to release a new addition of the game, although I'm a bit sorry they may change the name of it, which I'm sure we've all gotten so use to.

TO SUM UP

If they ever do fix the timer problem, I'd be more than glad to get the new edition but with that up in the air apparently, I thought It best to get my hands on the original "Tamsk", while they're still around. So if you're anything like me and love perfection in your abstract strategy games, trying playing the four game series, while switching sides each turn to solve the timer problem. Just keep track of the number of rings you're left with after each game and take a total at the end of the series.

I have to imagine, the egg timers were a manufacturing problems, that might have been too costly to correct. In an e-mail I'd sent to Kris Burm a couple of years ago, I'd suggested having the timers with ends that screw off and have the game come with a bag of extra sand, so players could calibrate them to their hearts content. I still hope that's what they decide to do, if they indeed come out with a new one, because "Tamsk" is a wonderful game like no other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MENAREUS2000 wrote:
Upon opening my box, you could actually visibly see the differences in the amounts of sand in the various Egg Timers.

Mine are also visibly different, but when I time them they are pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you guys think the timers had to ahve the same amount of time in each?

Maybe they were supposed to be a bit different.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phlegm wrote:
Why do you guys think the timers had to ahve the same amount of time in each?

Maybe they were supposed to be a bit different.shake

An interesting thought, but even Kris Burm hinmself admits to not being happy the way the timers turned out and looked for ways to correct the problem, but the cost factor made it impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In practice, however, it doesn't make much of a difference if the timers are slightly different. Once you start turning them over, you're then keeping an eye on how much time is remaining. You begin managing that aspect of it, and it really doesn't matter if one has a bit more sand than the other.

I'm not saying it makes *no* difference, but assuming we're talking differences of just a few seconds, it's practically a non-issue.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
In practice, however, it doesn't make much of a difference if the timers are slightly different. Once you start turning them over, you're then keeping an eye on how much time is remaining. You begin managing that aspect of it, and it really doesn't matter if one has a bit more sand than the other.

I'm not saying it makes *no* difference, but assuming we're talking differences of just a few seconds, it's practically a non-issue.

Cheers!

Absolutely, orangeblood! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were a chess fan and played chess but found your queen would just suddenly vanish, every hundred games or so, the infrequent occurence would pratically make it a non-issue, but I doubt you'd find as many chess players as you do today.

By Smart's own admission, they may not re-release the game if they can't fix the timer problem. Obviouly, the timer issue affected sales.

I'm not saying the game still isn't fun but it has a flaw that might cause one to lose a game that they might not have otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.