Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-tongue-in-cheek-warning-

It wasn't always this way.

It started with my brother who was trying to get back into boardgames after a long hiatus. My brother loved any games that were big, bold, and pricey. In our youth, Fireball Island and Samurai Swords were his big table-eating games he just had to have.

So, I was asked to go to the FLGS with him since I 'knew what games were good'. No problem. We arrive at the store and the selection is awesome as always filling up the entire wall.

Of course, my brother is astounded by the selection and stops by every third game with 'Is this one any good?' Happy to have my brother interested in the hobby, I try my best to explain the mechanics behind some of the games, and if they seem to be rated nicely on BGG as an example.

His gaze kept coming back to the price stickers. Big difference between us - I would seek out a clearance game and investigate, he would ignore those, instead drawn to the bigger boxes, much like a moth to a flame.

Finally, he ended up with Kingsburg. I had sticker shock when I saw the price - $60.00. I suggested it was indeed supposed to be a good game that would be nice for a returning gamer, but maybe something else in the $30 range....

Nope. The decision was already made. So Kingsburg it was.

Back at his house, Kingsburg made its debut. Pretty decent game - not worth the price IMHO, but very good nonetheless.

It was recently my birthday, and a math trade has also just winded up. I had a number of unplayed games just begging to be played.

But of course, if my brother visited it was with Kingsburg in tow. Usually having time for only a game or two, and not wanting to turn off my brother's new found enthusiasm, Kingsburg got played, and played, and then played some more.

When he volunteered to just leave Kingsburg at my house my wife said yes, before I could say no. My games still sat mostly unplayed in the closet.

Then, Kingsburg was discovered on the PC for download. Now, my wife was getting into it. "Ooh, honey, I tried a new tactic today. Let me tell you...."

Then my brother-in-law started proclaiming Kingsburg as 'probably the best game I've ever played'. You haven't truly winced until you hear a grown man who looks like a NFL linebacker gush about his new favorite game of all time. And yep, last week, I got the phone call. "Guess what game I picked up today...?"

I played Kingsburg again last night. With my wife. And my brother. And my brother-in-law. And his wife. I lost.

"Hey, want to play Razzia? I just got it in a math trade."

Blank looks all around. "Um, how about next time?"

Like all games, the curse legend of Kingsburg will pass, and the unloved and forgotten games will see the light of day. But until that time, I must live under the cruel dictatorship that is Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
This is funny stuff. I'm sorry, I feel for you, but this is a funny story. I don't envy you. I've never played Kingsburg but I know the pain of your position: not wanting to quell enthusiasm, but sick to your core of the favored game. The biggest shock was the sticker price of the game. Isn't that about twice what it would cost online? It seems that every game store I personally know of, and these anecdotes of game stores have their games marked waaaayy up, or at the least at full price, when the online stores give deep discounts. I feel for the game store owner, because really, I don't see how they can stay in business. Anyway, I don't want to threadjack you so I'll close with this: at least the favored game isn't Monopoly.

SB

I dare not go against the Kingsburg tide...yet! As for the store, yep, their prices are a bit high, and Kingsburg was off the chart. (It's also Canada - prices can be a bit unbearable....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your brother is making love to Kingsburg the way we used to make love to our games when we were kids. I view your brother's experience with wistful nostalgia. There's an innocence there the likes of which I've not experienced since youth. I remember when the game we were playing (whatever it happened to be) was THE greatest game ever. And we would play the crap out of it and approach it from every possible angle and lovingly observe every crinkle and strategy. His experience should be cherished...even if it is just Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was Settlers of Catan at my house 4 years ago. My wife loved it and her best friend and her husband loved it so that what we played. Period. I brought Keythedral once and they bitched and moaned and complained the whole time and scowled until we pulled out Settlers of Catan...again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having the opposite conundrum... My game collections has been going through a rapid inflationary period, but it has settled down some as of late. But until now, I have been introducing new games at almost every game night, and they are so spoiled now that they don't want to play unless I have something new! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome story... in the end you're a victim of your own success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjhendricks wrote:
I've been having the opposite conundrum... My game collections has been going through a rapid inflationary period, but it has settled down some as of late. But until now, I have been introducing new games at almost every game night, and they are so spoiled now that they don't want to play unless I have something new! cry

Can I play with your group? I got 5 new games in my math trade alone....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate you.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
your wife plays games and you're whining about having to play a great eurogame with her!

I would tell you how I really feel, but my anger management therapist says I need to avoid legal liability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm sorry for your situation (unplayed games... *ouch!* ), yet I feel guiltily satisfied...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious how long do your games of Kingsburg take?

It was played a lot at the last con I went to. It looked interesting
until I saw my friends face....

"This game of kingsburg is going on 3 hours" he said. Dave sitting next to me said "if I had a game of kingsburging going on that long I'd cut off my testicles and start rolling them". That comment still makes me laugh. I finally got to play the next day and our game took 2 hours. At one point near the end someone took almost 5 full minutes for their turn. I had fortunately made my last move and took a stroll to stretch my legs. I'm not exaggerating I came back by the table 2 or 3 times. The game wasn't bad but I would have enjoyed it a lot more at 1 hour than 2 or 3. Since I have some people in my group that can get into a bit of AP this is one game I am staying away from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sislar wrote:

This game of kingsburg is going on 3 hours he said. Dave sitting next to said "if I had a game of kingsburging going on that long I'd cut of my testicles and start rolling them". That comment still makes me laugh. I finally got to play the next day and our game took 2 hours. At one point near the end some took almost 5 full minutes for their turn. I had fortunately made my last move and took a stroll to stretch my legs. I'm not exaggerating I came back by the table 2 or 3 times. The game wasn't bad but I would have enjoyed it a lot more at 1 hour than 2 or 3. Since I have some people in my group that can get into a bit of AP this is one game I am staying away from.

Wow! Games at my house are about 45-60 mins. I couldn't bear Kingsburg at 3 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
basilmichael wrote:
Sislar wrote:

This game of kingsburg is going on 3 hours he said. Dave sitting next to said "if I had a game of kingsburging going on that long I'd cut of my testicles and start rolling them". That comment still makes me laugh. I finally got to play the next day and our game took 2 hours. At one point near the end some took almost 5 full minutes for their turn. I had fortunately made my last move and took a stroll to stretch my legs. I'm not exaggerating I came back by the table 2 or 3 times. The game wasn't bad but I would have enjoyed it a lot more at 1 hour than 2 or 3. Since I have some people in my group that can get into a bit of AP this is one game I am staying away from.

Wow! Games at my house are about 45-60 mins. I couldn't bear Kingsburg at 3 hours!

Agreed! Our very first game took about 2 hours as we figured it out referring back often to the instructions. But now, we are down to about 45-60 minutes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
I'm sorry for your situation (unplayed games... *ouch!* ), yet I feel guiltily satisfied...

You feel satisfied... wait a second! I recognize your name! You have unleashed this evil force on us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I hate Kingsburg because I spent four years in my late teens in that whackass, gossipy, no-horse town. Never again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I hate Kingsburg because I spent four years in my late teens in that whackass, gossipy, no-horse town. Never again!

No-horse... I thought they had Dala Horses plastered all over that town.

Kingsburg, CA http://www.cityofkingsburg-ca.gov/

Hey the Swedish festival is this weekend laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
that whackass, gossipy, no-horse town.

"Have YOU heard the latest about Baumesiter Puberton? He's been spending an AWFULLY large amount of time with the Queen lately. Hmmm...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate having my family members play with me (and Kingsburg is currently the top favorite with my wife and my sister). It would be nice if my wife was dying to play a wargame with me or one of the heavy Euros that I have a pile of, but I think I need to be realistic.

I am enthused about Kingsburg because I have found it to be a good tool for teaching core Euro mechanics to players without overloading them with too many paths. I am hoping this leads to heavier games with my wife. I am not at the point where I have played too much Kingsburg yet and if I get there I think I can still deal with it even if it means other games go unplayed.

You do need to watch out for players taking too long on turns because it can really streeeeech the game and make it unpleasently long. Just do a turn timer if gentle reminders do not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitehouse
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the story, hopefully you will be able to come back and report about how you eventually moved on to other games.

I was actually considering Kingsburg until this thread lol. Now I'm not so sure .

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ran my wife through her first game of Stone Age. She felt it was more complex than Kingsburg but she did not have much trouble with the mechanics and she identified that you needed to pick a path or track to victory early in the game and continue to pursue it.

The explicit and obvious building tracks in Kingsburg did help her relate to the slightly less obvious methods of achieving victory points in Stone Age so I think it was a good way to transition.

I think there is a gap between games like Carcassonne and Alhambra where you are building but what you are building is visually apparent and games where you need to mentally establish a track and maintain that during the game.

New players to Kingsburg, after they get the mechanics often seem to pursue the Cathedral push along with some defense. This gives them high points early on but not much engine late in the game. It is interesting to watch them modify the strategy over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.